blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:14:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Re-Entry and Late Reg - Your Views please?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Re-Entry and Late Reg - Your Views please?  (Read 28387 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2015, 02:52:12 PM »

The old Friday night £75 freezeout was the best tourney ever
5k starting stack and a 45 min clock, late reg first 2 levels before the break if I remember correctly

This.

I thought it was 30 minutes? With the £50/£25 being 4k/24m and 3k/24m?

Either way I imagine those days are long gone. Chip inflation or something.

Blue text
Rolledup
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2015, 04:16:53 PM »

Start a nice structured tournament at 6:30 with late rage until 7;45 then at 8 start a turbo with late registration until 9pm/

Structure both to finish around same time. If you bust the first one at 8 instead of re entering when blinds are very high you buy into turbo at start.

Everyone is happy.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2015, 04:19:37 PM »

A one off 'retro' £300 2008 deepstack weekend would be good.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »

This

Ah! The element of surprise
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »

Yeh reckon they should do this and see how many turn up. Call it retro weekend and have all the old school comps. A £150 on a Sunday, £75 on a Friday night.

A good old £1/2 game with £2k stacks as well Cheesy

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »

Yeh reckon they should do this and see how many turn up. Call it retro weekend and have all the old school comps. A £150 on a Sunday, £75 on a Friday night.

A good old £1/2 game with £2k stacks as well Cheesy

£20 unlimited rebuy super sat on Friday night for the main event thrown in as well and all ipads/iphones/headphones/hoodies are banned for the weekend.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:04:20 PM by arbboy » Logged
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »

Hell , they will all be smoking next !

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »

If the knife-edge tension only comes in later levels then most people, who have been knocked out, don't get to experience knife-edge tension. I would address this for very obvious reasons, not least because high octane emotion is the huge appeal of tournaments and thus the magic formula for operators. In the wsop ME there are no re-buys, no late entries and knife-edge tension from hand one. This is a popular comp and a format most casual players relate too.

Are new players attracted by the concept of re-entry? Are they more and more attracted with every £10k added to first prize? Or are they simply attracted by the experience of playing, esp in a high intensity format? Personally my focus would be on driving the most exhilarating experience possible. Once you have bods thru the door the hard work is done and there are many ways to max revenue, it's not like reducing revenue in one comp means you have now lost that spend from the customer entirely. The pro players won't agree but then again driving new players is the honey hole here.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »

When I started reading the thread, my first thoughts were very much what Dave and Alex ended up posting. The re-entry option will give a small advantage to the Pro's, sure, but so small as to be largely insignificant to the recreational players in that tournament. It's more of a perception problem.  In reality, the positives FAR outway the negatives by providing huge guarantees and the club absolutely packed on Deepstack weekends and festivals.

Late Reg (as it is now) is all about giving both local and travelling players more options. That is what DTD is all about. We all have commitments outside of poker and it allows more people to play depending on their circumstances. It is most definitely not an advantage to late reg a tournament and have less big blinds relative to the average.

As I think Rob said, he had tried to revert to the old way of short late reg and true freezeouts and it flopped. Rob and Simon must have all the data necessary to see how overall numbers were affected. Players just will not travel if traffic means they might get to DTD and then not be able to play. Players also won't travel if there is a risk they turn up to a main event, have their AA cracked, and then have to drive home. Recently the deepstacks and festivals are the busiest they've been with massive guarantees largely being met. There's the proof that the current late reg and re-entry policy is spot on imo.

As with many of these opinion polls, those that make the effort to post are often the ones that feel strongly against and want some change. Those that are happy with the status quo are far more likely to not make the effort to post and therefore we don't see a representative sample.

As mentioned above, I also thought Rob and Simon should test the idea again with an "Old Skool" festival with short late reg/true freezouts  and see how popular it is. I'm pretty certain that the numbers will give a definitive answer.

IMHO it would be a huge mistake for the future of the club to change what is clearly working very well at the moment.
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2015, 05:53:35 PM »

In the wsop ME there are no re-buys, no late entries and knife-edge tension from hand one. This is a popular comp and a format most casual players relate too.

I don't think you can use the WSOP Main event as a comparison. That is an entirely different, and very special tournament!
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »

In the wsop ME there are no re-buys, no late entries and knife-edge tension from hand one. This is a popular comp and a format most casual players relate too.

I don't think you can use the WSOP Main event as a comparison. That is an entirely different, and very special tournament!

If only Carlsberg did a mini/European/British equivalent at DTD with bracelets etc huh....

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »

When I started reading the thread, my first thoughts were very much what Dave and Alex ended up posting. The re-entry option will give a small advantage to the Pro's, sure, but so small as to be largely insignificant to the recreational players in that tournament. It's more of a perception problem.  In reality, the positives FAR outway the negatives by providing huge guarantees and the club absolutely packed on Deepstack weekends and festivals.

Late Reg (as it is now) is all about giving both local and travelling players more options. That is what DTD is all about. We all have commitments outside of poker and it allows more people to play depending on their circumstances. It is most definitely not an advantage to late reg a tournament and have less big blinds relative to the average.

As I think Rob said, he had tried to revert to the old way of short late reg and true freezeouts and it flopped. Rob and Simon must have all the data necessary to see how overall numbers were affected. Players just will not travel if traffic means they might get to DTD and then not be able to play. Players also won't travel if there is a risk they turn up to a main event, have their AA cracked, and then have to drive home. Recently the deepstacks and festivals are the busiest they've been with massive guarantees largely being met. There's the proof that the current late reg and re-entry policy is spot on imo.

As with many of these opinion polls, those that make the effort to post are often the ones that feel strongly against and want some change. Those that are happy with the status quo are far more likely to not make the effort to post and therefore we don't see a representative sample.

As mentioned above, I also thought Rob and Simon should test the idea again with an "Old Skool" festival with short late reg/true freezouts  and see how popular it is. I'm pretty certain that the numbers will give a definitive answer.

IMHO it would be a huge mistake for the future of the club to change what is clearly working very well at the moment.

Theoretically, I'm firmly in the old school camp and would like genuine freezeouts in slightly bigger comps, probably like to see late reg/re-entry periods (if we're going to have them) cut too. Personally find it extremely dull to not see the player count reduce for an interminable period. I like the GUKPT side event structures with stack sizes that remind me of old times and give perfectly decent play for short comps. With all that said, I completely agree with this post and the one from Jakally earlier.

Can't see the rush of old school fans to retro comps outweighing the losses to footfall as well as prize pools. Things change, I choose not to move with it generally but I don't expect anyone to turn the clock back to suit a dwindling number of old timers - I'm certain it would be bad for business and I'm an expert on business

sola virtus nobilitat
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »

I like the idea of an occasional Freezeout weekend / Festival.
Great for a change, and a better option for those that don't like re-entry comps.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »

remember the re-entry format has created some monster prizepools for small buyin events.

Recently DTD held a £500 6-handed tournament that had £60,000 for first place, 120x buyins, for a 6max, do you remember the WPT 500 last year? £140,000 for first place in a competition that cost £500 to enter, 280x your buyin, it's phenomenal really that in Nottingham you can have a chance to win £140k for a monkey buyin.

With the rough, comes the smooth.

Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2015, 12:46:03 AM »

The rare few that can afford multiple bullets will soon go skint / get fed up never cashing surely ?
Personally I've never figured where lol recs get all these multiple re entries from
I consider my self a lol rec and I won't spend over £100 on a buy in unless I've satellited in ,I've tried bigger buy ins with obv no success and realised my ability level
Maybe there's a lot who havnt / won't do that and keep trying for a big score ??
At what point do they stop ?
Isn't the market saturated with constant £200/500£ "deep stacks " there's something on every weekend somewhere
I understand some win money on other forms of gambling but once again not all of them ??

You know there are ways to acquire money that don't involve gambling right? Smiley

Won't smaller starting stacks and seriously big blinds at the start turn a good structure into a crap shoot?

I always quite liked events that had speedy early levels and then slowed down a bit later on. You just avoid too much time spent with cash game blind ratios - it's the risk of ruin that makes tournaments fun right?

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: