blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:42:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Syria, Migrants and Online Comments
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syria, Migrants and Online Comments  (Read 32792 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2015, 12:44:26 AM »

Are the US taken any refugees.. or is it seen as a purely EU issue?..

Its also interesting how we are controlled and manipulated by the media... pre poor child washed up on a beach there were just mumblings of help.. post and all the do gooders are inviting them to live with them..  does it really take a massive poke with a a sharp stick to our guilty conscience for something to be done..

The situation is tragic beyond belief... and something has to be done but its incredibly vile to see these people stand up and make promises they would never keep just to be seen and heard to be doing the right thing...

Why should we concern ourselves with what America are
Doing?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2015, 12:46:20 AM »

Its also interesting how we are controlled and manipulated by the media... pre poor child washed up on a beach there were just mumblings of help.. post and all the do gooders are inviting them to live with them..  does it really take a massive poke with a a sharp stick to our guilty conscience for something to be done..

The situation is tragic beyond belief... and something has to be done but its incredibly vile to see these people stand up and make promises they would never keep just to be seen and heard to be doing the right thing...

Who are these people and how we know they wouldn't keep their promises?

Genuine question BTW, has there been a news story I've missed or something?

twats like this..empty words all for political gain..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/06/nicola-sturgeon-and-yvette-cooper-offer-to-house-syrian-refugees

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2015, 12:50:02 AM »

Doing?

im assuming this is a global crisis and as the US leads the bombing of Syria they might take some responsibility for the people they displaced.. also it was simply a question if they were or not .. not a question about their fundamental stance

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2015, 12:53:14 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/06/nicola-sturgeon-and-yvette-cooper-offer-to-house-syrian-refugees

What they say might be the truth or it might not, we have no way of knowing, but why attack the people who say we should help instead of attacking those who say we shouldn't?

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2015, 12:56:58 AM »

And why do people say "Do gooders" like it's something to be ashamed of?

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2015, 12:59:01 AM »

Doing?

im assuming this is a global crisis and as the US leads the bombing of Syria they might take some responsibility for the people they displaced.. also it was simply a question if they were or not .. not a question about their fundamental stance

Assad has clearly lead the bombing of Syria.  Russia has sat behind him.

The U.S. has been by far the biggest donor to the UNHCR appeal for Syria.   I think they had provided something like 40% of the funding.  Russia have provided about 0.1% of the US funding.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2015, 01:01:09 AM »

What they say might be the truth or it might not, we have no way of knowing, but why attack the people who say we should help instead of attacking those who say we shouldn't?

these are the only people that are saying we should help ? think theres a pretty strong consensus  by most of the civil thinking world that something should be done.. is it really necessary for them to actually say this... am happy to be wrong and apologise profusely as Nicola Sturgeon welcomes her first Syrian family to live with her.. forgive me for being so cynical but people like Sturgeon only ever say anything for one reason and one reason only..to further their own agenda.. to believe anything else is naive .

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2015, 01:06:04 AM »

People who do real good.. never shout about it or want recognition.. 'The DoGooders' in reference are the ones who want to be seen to be doing something so they can all feel good about themselves as they sit in their comfy chair and deal with their first world problems of whether to buy a Mercedes or a BMW next time

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2015, 01:09:53 AM »

Doing?

U.S. Defo complicated.

Good overview here. They can and should do more.

http://www.newsweek.com/why-us-not-doing-more-help-syrian-refugees-369539

That said, they are the largest provider of humanitarian funding anywhere, so not just all about resettlement etc.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2015, 01:12:19 AM »

tbh... it was a general question

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2015, 01:15:26 AM »

People who do real good.. never shout about it or want recognition.. 'The DoGooders' in reference are the ones who want to be seen to be doing something so they can all feel good about themselves as they sit in their comfy chair and deal with their first world problems of whether to buy a Mercedes or a BMW next time

That's just fundamentally not true.

Charities do loads of good all the time and they want to scream and shout and be recognised. Not because they are 'do gooders' in your sense of the word but because it helps awareness and helps them do more.

It's a frightfully British attitude (and not always in lock step with the rest of the world) that 'doing good' should be a thing kept quiet. More often than not it should be shouted loudly and celebrated to raise awareness. Nothing wrong with being British about it ofc, just making the point it's not only way Wink

Also it's clear that there are some people who gain utility from giving like you describe btw, just don't think correct to say all/generalise.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »

Charities do loads of good all the time and they want to scream and shout and be recognised. Not because they are 'do gooders' in your sense of the word but because it helps awareness and helps them do more.

It's a frightfully British attitude (and not always in lock step with the rest of the world) that 'doing good' should be a thing kept quiet. More often than not it should be shouted loudly and celebrated to raise awareness. Nothing wrong with being British about it ofc, just making the point it's not only way Wink

Also it's clear that there are some people who gain utility from giving like you describe btw, just don't think correct to say all/generalise.

Your right of course..just referencing the minority.. 'DoGooders'-  someone who does things that they ​think will ​help other ​people, ​although the other ​people might not ​find ​their ​actions ​helpful... Cambridge Dictionary

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2015, 01:27:22 AM »

Doing?

Assad has clearly lead the bombing of Syria.  Russia has sat behind him.

The U.S. has been by far the biggest donor to the UNHCR appeal for Syria.   I think they had provided something like 40% of the funding.  Russia have provided about 0.1% of the US funding.

The UK has been the 4th biggest donor after the U.S., Kuwait and the EU.  Read Twitter and Facebook and you'd think Cameron had been telling them to F off.

A big old gap between perceptions and reality.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2015, 02:38:10 AM »

Your right of course..just referencing the minority.. 'DoGooders'-  someone who does things that they ​think will ​help other ​people, ​although the other ​people might not ​find ​their ​actions ​helpful... Cambridge Dictionary

Dean, yr talking bollo

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2015, 02:46:23 AM »

My last post on this subject and probably on blonde.

The main issue for me is you all want to be seen to be saying the correct thing the things you think are to be true and what is politically correct.

I've said several times before I thing we should help the refugees ....but not before the thousands of homeless we already have.

I have been literally talked to like a piece of shit for expressing my views by mulhuzz without anyone stepping up to say something apart  from woodsy,
 this I think is disgusting he was bang out of order.

I posted the picture not to get a reaction or to be patronized or be educated ....but to which I didn't get the chance was to ask the views on what people thought of it and why it was correct or not.

I said something supportive about yr original framing of a discussion about servicemen and the help I also think they merit. And now you post something that is just propagandist & ill conceived and I wish I hadn't given you the benefit of the doubt.  If you post bigoted, hate filled shiz with no comment .. er well people are gonna brand you a bigot.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: