blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Syria, Migrants and Online Comments
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syria, Migrants and Online Comments  (Read 32813 times)
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »

And why do people say "Do gooders" like it's something to be ashamed of?

People who do real good.. never shout about it or want recognition.. 'The DoGooders' in reference are the ones who want to be seen to be doing something so they can all feel good about themselves as they sit in their comfy chair and deal with their first world problems of whether to buy a Mercedes or a BMW next time

That's just fundamentally not true.

Charities do loads of good all the time and they want to scream and shout and be recognised. Not because they are 'do gooders' in your sense of the word but because it helps awareness and helps them do more.

It's a frightfully British attitude (and not always in lock step with the rest of the world) that 'doing good' should be a thing kept quiet. More often than not it should be shouted loudly and celebrated to raise awareness. Nothing wrong with being British about it ofc, just making the point it's not only way Wink

Also it's clear that there are some people who gain utility from giving like you describe btw, just don't think correct to say all/generalise.

Your right of course..just referencing the minority.. 'DoGooders'-  someone who does things that they ​think will ​help other ​people, ​although the other ​people might not ​find ​their ​actions ​helpful... Cambridge Dictionary

Dean, yr talking bollo

Is that like King Rollo ? Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »

nice

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »

nice

Wonderful.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »

You post shit like this and you wonder why mulhuzz types the things that he does?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posts this BS on facebook as well lolz. GG friends.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »

I couldn't give a shit about being politically correct.

I don't care if people see me saying the right thing or wrong thing.

My view is if there are men, women and children dying, in an attempt to leave their country because they are in danger of being killed, and this country can help them, then why shouldn't we?

Imagine if it was you and your family. What would
You think then?

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:10 PM »

My heart goes out to these people as it does to all homeless people, people living in poverty anywhere in the World.
Hypothetical question. The Government say we will take as many refugees as is possible but they request that anyone that has a spare room/s or a second home will house these people in the short term for a mnimal or no payment would YOU be at the front of the queue with an offer ?

Interesting that nobody (other than the evil Lee) has answered this question so I'm going to be brave.

I have a couple of spare rooms and if a complete stranger came knocking at my door seeking refuge from his/her war torn country I would probably hide behind the curtains until they tried next door.

Everybody wants to fix these problems but in reality an incredibly tiny minority will actually do anything about it other than shout and rant. If one of that tiny minority are present on this thread then I applaud you, you are a latter day saint.

This is such a sensitive subject at the moment thanks to the media and social media in particular. Fortunately like everything else it'll go away soon enough (in media terms, not reality terms) so we can all go back to worrying about when the iPhone 7 is going to be released instead.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2015, 08:33:49 PM »

My heart goes out to these people as it does to all homeless people, people living in poverty anywhere in the World.
Hypothetical question. The Government say we will take as many refugees as is possible but they request that anyone that has a spare room/s or a second home will house these people in the short term for a mnimal or no payment would YOU be at the front of the queue with an offer ?

Interesting that nobody (other than the evil Lee) has answered this question so I'm going to be brave.

I have a couple of spare rooms and if a complete stranger came knocking at my door seeking refuge from his/her war torn country I would probably hide behind the curtains until they tried next door.

Everybody wants to fix these problems but in reality an incredibly tiny minority will actually do anything about it other than shout and rant. If one of that tiny minority are present on this thread then I applaud you, you are a latter day saint.

This is such a sensitive subject at the moment thanks to the media and social media in particular. Fortunately like everything else it'll go away soon enough (in media terms, not reality terms) so we can all go back to worrying about when the iPhone 7 is going to be released instead.

Well I'm certainly not a saint Matt, latter or present day, but if a refugee stranger, especially someone with children came to my door I would definitely find them a bed and some food and try to help if I could.

We as a family have tried to help, albeit in a small way. We collected up what clothing, utensils, pots, pans, plastic sheeting and bedding we could and took them to a collection point. (well Mrs Red did) It's not much, but it's something.

I don't think we're a tiny minority, I think there are millions who would help if they could.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »

I agree there is quite a big distance between wringing ones hands and saying something should be done and actually putting oneself out to do something. Having said that, I believe what is needed most pressingly is Government intervention and so ranting in social media, signing petitions etc is actually quite a valid way to express ones humanity and express a desire/give permission to our Government to provide more help than is already provided.

My wife is Austrian and my sister in law works in a refugee center in a small village in the Tirol that was originally set up during the Balkan conflicts. I have seen some of the good that is done first hand. Would I house someone as an interim measure ? I wouldn't relish it, I'd prefer it was for a relatively short period but I would do it.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:40:02 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »

I would use crown land to build some sort of temporary camp until we can secure the refugees more permanent accomodation.

And yes, we have enough spare room in our house to put up a small family.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »

Well I'm certainly not a saint Matt, latter or present day, but if a refugee stranger, especially someone with children came to my door I would definitely find them a bed and some food and try to help if I could.

We as a family have tried to help, albeit in a small way. We collected up what clothing, utensils, pots, pans, plastic sheeting and bedding we could and took them to a collection point. (well Mrs Red did) It's not much, but it's something.

I don't think we're a tiny minority, I think there are millions who would help if they could.

how about if the stranger that turns up at your door is not a refugee,but a british person who is destitute with not a pot to piss in?

i work hard , pay my taxes, and welcome all syrians with open arms. if we as a country can help these people then that is obviously what we must do.

however when i watch the news and watch tarquin from tunbridge wells saying "i have a spare room , mr refugee can come and live happily ever after", it reeks of bullshit.

pretty sure tarquin walks past people in need every day and does not get the spare key cut and bring them breakfast every morning.

ok, mr british who is homeless is not fleeing for his life, but he is not exactly living the dream either.

someone once said "charity begins at home". i believe that there is some truth in that.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:35:19 PM by bagel » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »

I think they'd probably sooner stay where they are, than live with me and my parents Grin

10 years ago, I'd have not even given it a second thought, which is quite sad, but indicative of how little interest I had in anything bar myself.

I only took much notice of this when I started seeing the Britain First style propaganda on Facebook, and having done a bit of reading, I wouldn't mind having people stay with me, if it was feasible.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:58 PM »

TBF  I think any decent human being faced with a truly desperate family with small children would offer shelter and food but the onus is not on the individual .. we have a first world government who have structures and plans in place for dealing with things like this..and the people that make these hollow offers know this.

Its good your doing your little bit Tom and it does add up and Kudos to you.. I hope the two bags of clothes i donated last week end up on a worthwhile back ( although they may think things have got worse when they get one of my spangly t shirts )

But you are already helping Tom as it is your taxes that make up the what is it ? £1 billion now the government has pulled out of its foreign aid budget

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »

There is absolutely no chance I would let a stranger sleep in my house. So ok the dude is a refugee but does that mean he's certain to be a great guy who deffo won't clip you in ur sleep? Or do one with all your worldly goods in the middle of the night?? Think some of you guys are intoxicated by the fumes of charitable assumption. Sure I guess he can pitch a tent in my garden, maybe sort him out with a bacon roll, but sleep in my spare room? No thanks, I live in the real world where bad things clearly do happen.

The mrs asked "What do you think of Syria?" I said "Apart from Juventus or Roma I can't see any other team winning it this season".

Is it bad that I laughed at that? Yep I know, I'm going straight to hell.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2015, 10:40:48 PM »

There is absolutely no chance I would let a stranger sleep in my house. So ok the dude is a refugee but does that mean he's certain to be a great guy who deffo won't clip you in ur sleep? Or do one with all your worldly goods in the middle of the night?? Think some of you guys are intoxicated by the fumes of charitable assumption. Sure I guess he can pitch a tent in my garden, maybe sort him out with a bacon roll, but sleep in my spare room? No thanks, I live in the real world where bad things clearly do happen.

The mrs asked "What do you think of Syria?" I said "Apart from Juventus or Roma I can't see any other team winning it this season".

Is it bad that I laughed at that? Yep I know, I'm going straight to hell.

See you at the gates mate Wink

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2015, 11:30:42 PM »

Teeside is looking to lead the way on taking refugees. Haha these poor buggers think theyve seen a bombsite.

People continue to say that people coming on boats are fleeing a warzone which isnt technically true. They are fleeing refugee camps to try to get to a country to make a better life. I dont blame them and would still gladly accept them but have the concern that the financially better off are escaping what are probably pretty grim conditions in these camps in turkey/lebanon etc, while the probably more needy are simply stuck. The family who have caused a lot of the change in public opinion were living in turkey two years before their death.

Also sickened by camerons decision to release months old news about a syrian air strike, which was contrary to a commons vote, straight after the events of the weekend, to avoid criticism. Stinks of labour slimy tactics on releasing bad news on the back of worse news.

Was amused by poland and czechs saying they dont want immigrants, yeah well your own people dont want to live there so why the hell would these people.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: