blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:39:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Syria, Migrants and Online Comments
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syria, Migrants and Online Comments  (Read 32847 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »

@ Tom ...
 I did not say that we shouldn't I merely asked should we feed and house them !!

@ tikay
I've no doubt we will cope

@ boshi
Are armed forces fight for fundamental human rights....yes

@ everyone.......

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY OF OUR EX SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN ARE HOMLESS AND HUNGRY RIGHT NOW Huh?

Yes we should help refugees and no we shouldn't let them starve .....but shouldn't we be helping our own first Huh?

I think that is a separate issue.

Equally disgraceful that it is not being addressed but I don't see it as one first then the other.

They should be parallel.

On a side I don't know how many there are? I would guess around 2500 in the UK?

Almost 4 times that in ex service personnel alone stu !

Lee, why does it have to be one or the other?  I see some very hateful and vile propaganda from some sources that try to play this card that we can't help one group because another is also in need. 

Can you show me one iota of evidence that suggests helping a refugee diverts a single penny from helping ex-service personnel? 

On a tangent, did you sign this petition https://www.change.org/p/foreign-secretary-william-hague-protect-all-afghan-interpreters-who-served-alongside-british-troops-and-give-them-opportunity-to-resettle - or should it only be UK-born personnel who deserve help as a priority?  If you think this petition is right, then think about each individual who has been forced from their home in Syria into the threat of starvation and a very uncertain future. Each of them will have a story, each will have a life. Just because they weren't born on an island off the north-west coast of mainland Europe doesn't mean they are less deserving of help.  Don't you think their plight is desperate and needs action immediately?

Boshi please don't associate my view with those vile propaganda as you call it !

My personal view is we should first look after the people who have put their lives on the line to protect this country and the people within it
I am not saying it's one or the other !

Why should we look after those first? Why are they more important?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »

Sigh !

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

@ Tom ...
 I did not say that we shouldn't I merely asked should we feed and house them !!

@ tikay
I've no doubt we will cope

@ boshi
Are armed forces fight for fundamental human rights....yes

@ everyone.......

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY OF OUR EX SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN ARE HOMLESS AND HUNGRY RIGHT NOW Huh?

Yes we should help refugees and no we shouldn't let them starve .....but shouldn't we be helping our own first Huh?

I think that is a separate issue.

Equally disgraceful that it is not being addressed but I don't see it as one first then the other.

They should be parallel.

On a side I don't know how many there are? I would guess around 2500 in the UK?

Almost 4 times that in ex service personnel alone stu !

Lee, why does it have to be one or the other?  I see some very hateful and vile propaganda from some sources that try to play this card that we can't help one group because another is also in need.  

Can you show me one iota of evidence that suggests helping a refugee diverts a single penny from helping ex-service personnel?  

On a tangent, did you sign this petition https://www.change.org/p/foreign-secretary-william-hague-protect-all-afghan-interpreters-who-served-alongside-british-troops-and-give-them-opportunity-to-resettle - or should it only be UK-born personnel who deserve help as a priority?  If you think this petition is right, then think about each individual who has been forced from their home in Syria into the threat of starvation and a very uncertain future. Each of them will have a story, each will have a life. Just because they weren't born on an island off the north-west coast of mainland Europe doesn't mean they are less deserving of help.  Don't you think their plight is desperate and needs action immediately?

Boshi please don't associate my view with those vile propaganda as you call it !

My personal view is we should first look after the people who have put their lives on the line to protect this country and the people within it

I am not saying it's one or the other !

Forgive me if I'm not understanding this properly Lee, but I've looked at those links and it says that "At worst, homelessness can mean sleeping rough on the streets"

Now I know that's terrible and should be sorted, but I don't think it should automatically give them priority over people (Entire families) who are literally dying as we speak.

We surely can't say, "Hang on, I know the boat that your children are on is sinking, but it will have to wait until we've found a flat for Private Jones".

The older I get, the better I was.
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »

Because you wouldn't have a country that's in a position to help other countries if it wasn't  for private jones

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »

Because you wouldn't have a country that's in a position to help other countries if it wasn't  for private jones

thats no justification

seperate issues

helping refugees

helping ex-servicemen

one shouldn't prevent the other, and policy on one shouldn't affect the other

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »

I give up

www.ageuk.org.uk/

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »

Because you wouldn't have a country that's in a position to help other countries if it wasn't  for private Jones

Isn't that a catch 22 situation though?

We need Private Jones so that we can be in a position to help others, but when they need help they can't have it because we have to help private Jones.

What good is being is being in a position to help if you don't help?

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »

I don't want to debate about how servicemen are treated post service, especially with someone who is not objective about the whole thing. I would like to make some crude comparisons though.

A policeman, a serviceman, an NHS worker, an MP, a binman and a traffic warden.

These groups all serve the public intrest, they do so going in knowing what is likely to be asked of them, what the positives and negatives are, they are all paid for there service. Why is one group suddenly more deserving after the cease their employment?

Compare this with someone who has had their entire life destroyed, the very society they have spent their whole lives in no longer exists, they have fled from probable death in most cases and all they want is some help to get started and then to join in with our society and make new lives, get jobs, raise childen, pay taxes.

If there is only enough money for one of these people then I am choosing the refugee over the former public servant.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2015, 01:37:33 PM »

I should state that we can fix the cause of 'Private Jones' being homeless, and we should strive to do that. As is we have to treat the symptoms of refugees as the cause is exceptionally hard to solve.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »

The cause of many of britains issues is our preference of green grass over people.

We would rather not build houses, for first time buyers, the homeless, refugees or anyone else as:
A) our "green and pleasant land" NIMBLY ism
B) we don't want to increase the supply of housing as it would reduce our house prices

Politically to solve the problem today is for someone to the right of Cameron (farage) to stand up and say loudly refugees are not economic migrants, I don't mind the UK helping them. The govt could then do something about it without worrying about the political backlash. (The other option is for the govt to have principles - but that is too optimistic)

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »

I give up

Why mate? If you believe in what you are saying and we are debating sensibly why give up?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »

I don't want to debate about how servicemen are treated post service, especially with someone who is not objective about the whole thing. I would like to make some crude comparisons though.

These groups all serve the public intrest, they do so going in knowing what is likely to be asked of them, what the positives and negatives are, they are all paid for there service. Why is one group suddenly more deserving after the cease their employment?

Compare this with someone who has had their entire life destroyed, the very society they have spent their whole lives in no longer exists, they have fled from probable death in most cases and all they want is some help to get started and then to join in with our society and make new lives, get jobs, raise childen, pay taxes.

If there is only enough money for one of these people then I am choosing the refugee over the former public servant.

I wish I had put it like that.

I never thought I would say this, but if you were here James, I would kiss you. (Just a peck mind, and only on the cheek)

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105991
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:13 PM »

Brilliant post James

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: