blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:59:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Syria, Migrants and Online Comments
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syria, Migrants and Online Comments  (Read 32341 times)
mulhuzz

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:43:58 PM »

I am going to regret starting this topic. I know it already.

If you've not been living on the moon for the past while, you've probably dared to log into Facebook, Twitter and various other forms of social media. If you have, there is no doubt that you'll have been confronted with barrages of hate and ignorance towards migrants - particularly those from Syria. From the relatively (and I use that loosely) benign like 'fucking foreigners coming over hear for £30 a week and a telly' to the more sinister 'I hope the entire boat sinks'/'they could all do with being gassed'*

What has happened to society that comments which are nothing less than ignorant racism and little Englanderism are now being published under real names? previously comments like this were posted under pseudonyms or quietly, now they garner a load of positive comments and a boat load of likes. If you were previously a tiny insignificant racist nobody, all of a sudden you fee quite important, so maybe you trust yourself to use your real name.

I think it's also a bit 'empty vessels rattle loudest' - and I can't possibly think that most people think like this. Still, how important is it to stand up to this wall of hate and push back? Do we need to? Or should we just accept that such idiots have always existed and will always exist?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:50:07 PM »

It's absolutely terrible. I'm ashamed of humanity.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:51:35 PM »

I think it's also a bit 'empty vessels rattle loudest' - and I can't possibly think that most people think like this. Still, how important is it to stand up to this wall of hate and push back? Do we need to? Or should we just accept that such idiots have always existed and will always exist?

BTW- People have been saying and writing comments like those about Gypsies for the last 600 years.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:54:47 PM »

We need to take more refugees in. We take shamefully few here, in part because of political cowardice

I am also of the view that we have to intervene in Syria and i didn't think i would think that after the events of the last decade. How on earth we do that without a huge backlash i have no idea

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »

this is staggering

n 2011, Syria's population was 22.4M. Today, more than half are dead, displaced, or exiled.

http://bit.ly/1JJdgwi 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:06:17 PM »

Really terrible what is going on.

It's amazing how this problem/ issue has only become obvious in the last week or so.

Atleast Germany is taking a stand to help Syrian refugees and hopefully more European nations will follow suit.

From what I can see the PMs response so far in this country has been pretty woeful.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 11:15:47 PM »

We need to take more refugees in. We take shamefully few here, in part because of political cowardice

I am also of the view that we have to intervene in Syria and i didn't think i would think that after the events of the last decade. How on earth we do that without a huge backlash i have no idea

What kind of intervention would you be advocating?

Siding with either Assad or ISIS is not as easy a decision as it might appear.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 11:17:38 PM »

Maybe if people learnt the difference between a migrant and a refugee we wouldn't have as much rate and ignorance. Thread title not helping the cause.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »

Maybe if people learnt the difference between a migrant and a refugee we wouldn't have as much rate and ignorance. Thread title not helping the cause.

Excellent point.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 11:25:10 PM »

Was absolutely deliberate.

Take case of Syrian girl travelling to Sweden to claim political Asylum as profiled by BBC website today.

Left Syria three years ago and lived in absolute safety in Turkey since. Her mother still lives there.

Refugee or Migrant when she applies for political asylum in Sweden?
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 11:40:50 PM »

Syria> arm rebels to defeat evil despot assad, many moths later>>>fighters against the regime are mostly isis. What has happened /  is happening in Syria is a total mess, what can Britain, today do about that situation? Very little to nothing in Syria but could be doing plenty to help those fleeing the war zone.
/////

Ignorant folk don't care whether refugee or immigrant, they just hate irrationally.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 11:49:28 PM »

I have logged on to facebook and not seen any of those comments there.  Until now, I don't think I'd seen them here either.   We know people hate without the examples. 

Tom, why are ashamed of humanity?  It is only ever a small minority who express hate like the comments quoted.  It is pretty hard for individuals to even help in this crisis, as it is very hard to get the aid to where it is most needed. 

I think it is very hard to know what to do about the problems within Syria. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 12:00:34 AM »

Syria> arm rebels to defeat evil despot assad, many moths later>>>fighters against the regime are mostly isis. What has happened /  is happening in Syria is a total mess, what can Britain, today do about that situation? Very little to nothing in Syria but could be doing plenty to help those fleeing the war zone.
/////

Ignorant folk don't care whether refugee or immigrant, they just hate irrationally.

Which rebels have we armed in Syria? If we have done any arming of rebels, I am pretty sure it hasn't been on a large scale.

FWIW most of the opposition aren't from ISIL/ISIS, just the loudest ones.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 12:04:49 AM »

I have logged on to facebook and not seen any of those comments there.  Until now, I don't think I'd seen them here either.   We know people hate without the examples. 

Tom, why are ashamed of humanity?  It is only ever a small minority who express hate like the comments quoted.  It is pretty hard for individuals to even help in this crisis, as it is very hard to get the aid to where it is most needed. 

I think it is very hard to know what to do about the problems within Syria. 

Yeah, I know. it's just so sad.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 12:13:29 AM »

BTW- People have been saying and writing comments like those about Gypsies for the last 600 years.

And Jews and Muslims and Irish and Sikhs and Poles and Indians and Pakistanis and every other minority that has ever existed.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: