blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:33:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Syria, Migrants and Online Comments
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syria, Migrants and Online Comments  (Read 32840 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »

Incredible New York Times mag piece on the refugee crisis with photos from one of the boats.

http://nytimes.com/migrantboats 

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2015, 03:22:32 PM »

Incredible New York Times mag piece on the refugee crisis with photos from one of the boats.

That's extraordinary.

I hope that, one day, when the major issues that caused all this have been addressed, those guys who sold the passages for $1,500 each or whatever, knowing their customers were being sent to near certain death, will have to face the music & pay for their crimes. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »

That's extraordinary.

I hope that, one day, when the major issues that caused all this have been addressed, those guys who sold the passages for $1,500 each or whatever, knowing their customers were being sent to near certain death, will have to face the music & pay for their crimes. 

This

Just when you think it can't get any worse than being stuck on that boat on deck you realise people are put below deck in these tiny boats in total darkness and only have the ability to lie down and not even stand up or see day light for days on end to increase the gangsters profits further.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2015, 03:28:40 PM »

So are we saying we should allow hundreds of thousands of refugees into this country ?

Not surprisingly a no from me, that's way too many. Those we do take should also agree to go home when everything has settled. We should deffo look after Brits first before others imo.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »

So are we saying we should allow hundreds of thousands of refugees into this country ?

Not surprisingly a no from me, that's way too many. Those we do take should also agree to go home when everything has settled. We should deffo look after Brits first before others imo.

I think the situation is well beyond that and actually completely disagree with you

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »

I resolved to try and see your viewpoint regarding immigration the other day Woodsey, but I can see now that the gap between us is too wide.

Brit what before other what?

Brits who are uncomfortable before children who are dying?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »

That's extraordinary.

This

Just when you think it can't get any worse than being stuck on that boat on deck you realise people are put below deck in these tiny boats in total darkness and only have the ability to lie down and not even stand up or see day light for days on end to increase the gangsters profits further.

Can we begin to imagine the conditions on those boats in those lower decks? Flushing toilets? Toilets? Nope, just crap & piss on the floor, then sit there for the next 3 days as it swills around. Drowning might just be a merciful release. 

"gangsters" indeed. Those buggers need to be first against the wall when the day of reckoning arrives. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »

wonderful lead item on the news on radio 4 yesterday

"hundreds of british commuters had their travel plans disrupted today by migrants on top of trains - holiday plans and business trips were delayed for several hours as reports of footsteps being head on top on carriages was widely reported on social media..."

sorry my sympathies lay not with people's daily lives being slightly disrupted and more with the people who feel that riding a top a high-speed train is something the need to do for their families.

so much talk of how we stop people coming over, how many should we take, whose borders should we strengthen to keep us safe.

look, the world is not in equilibrium.

there are safe, rich and comfortable parts of the world. there are dangerous, squalid and poor parts of the world.

do you really think we have any choice in this matter. that we can set nice politically acceptable quotas, sure up borders vast enough that they define ciities, nations, continents and then go about our nice safe, cushty lives where our second biggest worry is our smart-tablets losing wifi access on a train [however will my friends see what i'm having for lunch, dahling..], and biggest worry hearing foriegn footsteps on top of it?

they are coming, they feel that chancing their lives below decks, atop trains and between border guards is a safer option than remaining in the place they once called home. we aint stopping poor vulnerable people fleeing dangerous and lawless parts of the world.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2015, 04:09:44 PM »

the 216 figure i quoted earlier was wrong

its being widely quoted today

the actual figure is 2,204

If I'm reading that correctly that's the numbers applying, not granted.

Either way, it's a pitiful number.  There are over 1,000 decent-sized towns in the UK.  Would adding TEN families to each of these put an unnecessary strain on the infrastructure and resources of the UK?  Would it ruin our way of life and destroy this green and 'pleasant' land?  There is no coherent argument to not helping them that I can see, other than xenophobia. If they were British people on holiday in Turkey (or wherever), we'd be chartering planes to get them to the safety and shelter of the UK. 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »

wonderful lead item on the news on radio 4 yesterday

"hundreds of british commuters had their travel plans disrupted today by migrants on top of trains - holiday plans and business trips were delayed for several hours as reports of footsteps being head on top on carriages was widely reported on social media..."

sorry my sympathies lay not with people's daily lives being slightly disrupted and more with the people who feel that riding a top a high-speed train is something the need to do for their families.

so much talk of how we stop people coming over, how many should we take, whose borders should we strengthen to keep us safe.

look, the world is not in equilibrium.

there are safe, rich and comfortable parts of the world. there are dangerous, squalid and poor parts of the world.

do you really think we have any choice in this matter. that we can set nice politically acceptable quotas, sure up borders vast enough that they define ciities, nations, continents and then go about our nice safe, cushty lives where our second biggest worry is our smart-tablets losing wifi access on a train [however will my friends see what i'm having for lunch, dahling..], and biggest worry hearing foriegn footsteps on top of it?

they are coming, they feel that chancing their lives below decks, atop trains and between border guards is a safer option than remaining in the place they once called home. we aint stopping poor vulnerable people fleeing dangerous and lawless parts of the world.

A passenger on that train was interviewed on the wireless after the train returned to St Pancras.

She complained, clearly distressed, that they could SEE these strange people outside, on the track.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »

The solution to this problem is the eradication of Islamic extremism.  There is no point in discussing anything else.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »

the 'problem' precedes that of radical islam.

the eye had an amusing inset detailing mass immigration scares and warnings of hoardes getting ready to 'swamp' us going back to '93.

amusing, but instructive.

radical islam is a huge problem though. it dis-empowers women. and you aint ending poverty without empowering women.

if there is huge disparity between parts of the world and you are fortunate enough to live atop the bell-curve then deal with the fact that people will be very desperate to enjoy a modicom of the comfort you wallow in. no amount of bleating, self-hatred [why do WE take them in, WE must be daft"] or hand-wringing around the borders of the debate [see what i did there...] is going to change that.

suck it up. you will be seeing more foreign skin tones in your beloved communities.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »

The solution to this problem is the eradication of Islamic extremism.  There is no point in discussing anything else.

Why so many young Muslims are attracted to extremism is the key question.

The idea of dying a martyr in jihad is preferable to the life they are leading.

The huge inequity of wealth between rich and poor is the root cause IMO.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »

Human beings are basically c*nts.  Or at least lapse into c*ntlike behaviour very easily.  Its nothing to do with wealth.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »

Human beings are basically c*nts.  Or at least lapse into c*ntlike behaviour very easily.  Its nothing to do with wealth.

If someone had a fantastic life why would they become a suicide bomber?

They wouldn't.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: