blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread  (Read 401712 times)
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: September 11, 2017, 08:18:17 PM »

A well written piece on the weekends game....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/sep/10/manchester-city-liverpool-pep-guardiola-jurgen-klopp-ederson

Seen a lot of silly articles about the game and the red card, saying the ref ruined the encounter etc Sky even ran a poll asking if Mane should have gone or not. I don't recall there being a poll for the cards for Walker and Sterling? And there was no-one claiming the game had been ruined when Walker was sent off in ridiculous circumstances against Everton. Moss got it right, Mane had to go. Accidental or not, if you kick the keeper in the head like that then you're off, and credit to Moss for making the correct call in live play cos I couldn't tell from my seat just how bad it was. It's a great smokescreen for Liverpool who can deflect from how inept they were with 10 men.

No surprise people like Shearer were chirping that he has to go for the ball, he was seemingly quite fond of kicking people in the face during his playing career.

I see Liverpool are looking for a reduction in the ban from 3 games to 2 or 1 on the grounds 3 matches is excessive. Ok then. I seriously just don't get it allowing for the fact that intent is irrelevant.

Click to see full-size image.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: September 11, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »

OK, he didn't actually 'try' to kick him in the head but since you wouldn't normally try to control the ball 6 ft in the air then we can assume he was making a challenge for the ball in the knowledge the keeper was coming.

Not sure if it's possible to be more reckless or show less regard for the safety of an opponent. Pretty pathetic trying to appeal/justify this and from instinctively thinking it was slightly harsh, the more I look at it the more I think he should get a Cantona type ban

sola virtus nobilitat
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 11, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »

Just watched back highlights from yesterday, very pleasant viewing.

Obv the game was skewed by the red card (and it was a red, it was about as dangerous as it gets, albeit unintentional), but as Pep pointed out; we played a similar situation vs Everton where we were a goal and man down and still managed to get a draw.

Ederson looks a fine keeper and has incred distribution, a missile kick. Big presence in goal too, called into action a couple of times before the injury and his positioning and shot stopping looks first rate. Hopefully he's back in action for us soon, though Bravo is a more than adequate back up for the time being.

Mendy is an absolute beast of a player and gives us a real genuine threat down the left, something that Clichy and to a lesser degree Kolarov could never do. He has pace, power, a good cross, great engine. Will be the best left back in the world before long. According to Sky sports he only had a 6/10 game lol what do these idiots watch? Smiley

I really like the flexibility of Danilo. Started the game on the right of a back 3 in a 3-5-2, ended the game in centre mid in a 4-5-1/4-3-3. Such versatility is an asset and it's easy to see why Pep made a personal plea to the board to sign him when Alves chose PSG (annoying at the time but maybe a blessing in disguise?) He's not an eye catching player but he'll be an important part of the squad this season and beyond.

I still have no idea how we snagged Jesus for under £30m?! It was also amusing watching Henderson trying to get within 5 yards of Silva and KDB Smiley Safe to assume that England will be on an early plane home from Russia next summer.

As for Liverpool, it was an interesting match up until the red, fairly even stuff. Easy to see where their threat comes from, Salah and Mane just give you so many quick options to go either way on the break. I think they need each other though as Salah 'disappeared' after Mane was dismissed. Otamendi was run ragged in the first 20 mins by Salah, he looks a great purchase.

My tenner on 100+ goals for City looks in much better shape now Smiley

Nice summary.

I’ve only just had the chance to watch the full thing back. Jeez Neville and Tyler.

On Mendy I agree he was excellent in the 2nd half. I’m not so sure about the 1st half where he seemed to be all over the place with positioning.

Likewise it felt 50/50 in the 1st half. xG tells a different story:

Yeah agreed first half Mendy wasn't at his finest, but I guess he's new to the league, new to Pep's style and only just back from injury, and up against a good attacking team, so am happy to let it slide Wink Otamendi was pretty exposed at times, and the last thing we need is him on a booking within 5 mins. Thankfully we didn't see Salah 2nd half and from thereon in it was one way traffic, and Mendy could just run wild on the left.

I assume Liverpool/Mane will be getting an extra game ban for a frivolous appeal?

Best Bitter.
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1563 on: September 12, 2017, 02:31:49 AM »

I'm happy that it's a red card but I don't get why it needs to be stressed that he is a keeper.

Outside the area he isn't a keeper. He is just another defender

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 12, 2017, 06:37:35 AM »

the more I look at it the more I think he should get a Cantona type ban

Lol what?! Worst take I've seen from anyone on this. Good lord.

He has his eyes on the ball throughout and is in the air before Ederson commits to a header. If he gets there a split second earlier Ederson goes through him and it's a red the other way. Literally zero intent and just an unfortunate football incident. Giving him an equivalent ban to a guy who decided to aim a pre-meditated kung fu kick at a spectator would be the definite end of what is left of football.

The Britos 'tackle' on Knockaert was 1000x worse than this. Could genuinely have ended his career if his leg had been planted and was as planned as can be after getting skinned three times in the opening 30 mins. Also has history with 4 reds in 59 games and a ban for head butting on his CV. Maybe he should be banned for life.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:40:49 AM by rinswun » Logged

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: September 12, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »

He has his eyes on the ball throughout and is in the air before Ederson commits to a header. If he gets there a split second earlier Ederson goes through him and it's a red the other way. Literally zero intent and just an unfortunate football incident. Giving him an equivalent ban to a guy who decided to aim a pre-meditated kung fu kick at a spectator would be the definite end of what is left of football.

The Britos 'tackle' on Knockaert was 1000x worse than this. Could genuinely have ended his career if his leg had been planted and was as planned as can be after getting skinned three times in the opening 30 mins. Also has history with 4 reds in 59 games and a ban for head butting on his CV. Maybe he should be banned for life.

I'm rarely wrong tbf, he made a challenge 6 ft in the air, doesn't matter which way you point yr eyes - he 100% knew it was a challenge or he wouldn't have been flying. It's like driving at 100 in a 30 and saying I wasn't looking at the kid I hit so there was no intent. Ban him, 12 months would be too lenient

sola virtus nobilitat
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: September 12, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »

A lot of tackles can be genuine career enders if you add the caveats.

If his leg was planted (don't get me wrong, it was an awful tackle)
If Mane's boot was an inch or so to the right (left as we look) he'd have taken Ederson's eye out.

I obv don't think he deserves 10 months out the game Smiley but it seems bizarre that Liverpool are trying to challenge this. Just accept the 3 game ban and crack on. It's a game of fine margins and if he beats Ederson to the ball then its a red card and 3 game ban for our keeper ( we wouldn't have capitulated and been drubbed 5-0/1 though). But he didn't, and Klopp looks stupid coming out saying stuff like 'he didn't realise the keeper was there', and his thin accusation that Ederson might have made the most of it. No mention of his own fans booing as Ederson was lifted on to the stretcher and carried off, though.

If the FA reduce the ban it makes a mockery of the game.

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: September 12, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »

I'm rarely wrong tbf, he made a challenge 6 ft in the air, doesn't matter which way you point yr eyes - he 100% knew it was a challenge or he wouldn't have been flying. It's like driving at 100 in a 30 and saying I wasn't looking at the kid I hit so there was no intent. Ban him, 12 months would be too lenient

Ha, gotta love Glenda.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 14, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

Not wanting to get carried away (very easy to remember we won the first 10 last season and look how that panned out!), but again we were sensational last night. It's amazing how much better you can look and play when you splurge £100m on 2 class full backs Wink

Early goal can be so important and it's something we need to do more of in the league vs teams like united and Swansea who only come to park the bus. Gives us the leverage to notch a few more when teams are obliged to attack a bit more if they surrender early doors.

I do like the flexibility we have in the ranks these days. Saturday it was Danilo slotting in in the back 3, last night Fernandinho. Neither look out of place and gives us options for the inevitable spells of missing Kompany through injury.

Pleasing to see us only concede 2 goals in the first 5 games. The lazy assumption that Pep neglects the defensive side of the game is exactly that; lazy. His mantra is if the opposition can't get the ball, they ain't gonna score. Simple but very true. How many chances did Feyenoord create last night? These are the Dutch champions who will be used to smashing teams home and away on a weekly basis, but they couldn't get a look in yesterday. I think we made them look 'worse' than what they are because our passing and movement was slick, as was our finishing. They beat united last season lest we forget.

Onwards to Watford on Saturday. Gonna be a stiff challenge and a tough 90 minutes. As long as we keep up this level of performance I think we'll be ok. Expect to see a very familiar starting XI, before we rest players for the League Cup game at West Brom in midweek.

Get KDB rolled up in bubble wrap please Pep.

Best Bitter.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: September 14, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »

You do look sensational at times.  I am struggling to see how you are still odds against to win the EPL tbh.  I appreciate we have been here last season but this is a totally different team that is fully geared up this season and could easily win the EPL by half the track.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 14, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »

Not wanting to get carried away (very easy to remember we won the first 10 last season and look how that panned out!), but again we were sensational last night. It's amazing how much better you can look and play when you splurge £100m on 2 class full backs Wink

Early goal can be so important and it's something we need to do more of in the league vs teams like united and Swansea who only come to park the bus. Gives us the leverage to notch a few more when teams are obliged to attack a bit more if they surrender early doors.

I do like the flexibility we have in the ranks these days. Saturday it was Danilo slotting in in the back 3, last night Fernandinho. Neither look out of place and gives us options for the inevitable spells of missing Kompany through injury.

Pleasing to see us only concede 2 goals in the first 5 games. The lazy assumption that Pep neglects the defensive side of the game is exactly that; lazy. His mantra is if the opposition can't get the ball, they ain't gonna score. Simple but very true. How many chances did Feyenoord create last night? These are the Dutch champions who will be used to smashing teams home and away on a weekly basis, but they couldn't get a look in yesterday. I think we made them look 'worse' than what they are because our passing and movement was slick, as was our finishing. They beat united last season lest we forget.

Onwards to Watford on Saturday. Gonna be a stiff challenge and a tough 90 minutes. As long as we keep up this level of performance I think we'll be ok. Expect to see a very familiar starting XI, before we rest players for the League Cup game at West Brom in midweek.

Get KDB rolled up in bubble wrap please Pep.

Nice summary again. 

Totally brilliant last night and an absolute joy to watch them blowing away a team early on like that. Aside from the attacking intent the off the ball stuff/high pressing was at a different level last night.  But, as you say, can't get carried away just yet. Always a potential banana skin around the corner starting with Watford and the next big 6 game  is Chelsea away in a couple of weeks to test the real level.

KDB ran the show again and in the  form of his life at the moment and loving the deeper role. IIRC Arb highlighted KDB for POTY at 20/1 as great value earlier in the the thread and that understandably has long since gone.  Shout out for Stones again who was impeccable as well.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: September 16, 2017, 05:37:46 PM »

Still not getting carried away Smiley 

Best Bitter.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 16, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »

Man City very very good today.  Ref and Lino were absolutely abysmal but we'd still have lost by 3/4 even with even handed officiating.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 16, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »

You do look sensational at times.  I am struggling to see how you are still odds against to win the EPL tbh.  I appreciate we have been here last season but this is a totally different team that is fully geared up this season and could easily win the EPL by half the track.

Even more struggling now to see how you are still odds against!
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 17, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »

Even more struggling now to see how you are still odds against!

Can still, just about, get even money.

We have Palace at home next Saturday but then Chelsea away, with CL and League cup games in amongst it too. But the way the team are playing I think its good to have regular games, try and maintain this momentum for as long as possible.

After a slow start, the 40/1 for 100+ goals is now right on target. Long way to go....

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: