blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272627 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Rate my shares
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate my shares  (Read 57989 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »

Didn't think to ask on here before and not sure if I will get an answer, but one of my pensions is with Aviva and I've been fiddling around with which funds my dosh is invested in recently. Anyone got any informed reason why some of my cash should be in any particular fund?
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2016, 06:33:21 PM »

Didn't think to ask on here before and not sure if I will get an answer, but one of my pensions is with Aviva and I've been fiddling around with which funds my dosh is invested in recently. Anyone got any informed reason why some of my cash should be in any particular fund?

Hi Woodsey, in another life I used to be an IFA and recommended AVIVA for company pension plans a few years back. The thing is with AVIVA, they have many types of funds depending on the name of the pension plan you took out. So really the first question is what is the name of your product.

Secondly, although a lot of people offer "tips" on what would be the best funds to invest in going forward you should really take it all with a pinch of salt and do your own research in my opinion. There are many variables such as your age, investment goals, attitude to risk and your family circumstances that determine what would be a suitable investment strategy. 

AVIVA have some information on their website describing risk ratings, what they mean and a "fund centre" outlining the funds available for investment.

http://www.aviva.co.uk/retirement/fund-centre/risk-ratings.html

http://www.fundslibrary.co.uk/FundsLibrary.BrandedTools/AvivaConsumer/FundCentral#Price%3APension.AvivaConsumer%3A

You will see from the funds library how many different types of pensions they have ! You need to ascertain which "series number" your product falls under to get an idea of the available funds.

Hope this helps.
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2016, 06:39:21 PM »

Keep meaning to drop in for an update, so the ARM takeover will be completed by September and my SIPP account will be funded with the cash equivalent of £17 a share. I decided to sell half my holding last month, on the basis that the takeover might not happen, and that if that was the case it would give me the opportunity to buy in for a lower price. As things stand, I expect the takeover to proceed smoothly with no hitches.

Whilst ARM is a notable investment success for me, I am at pains to stress that I do not consider myself a good stock picker. Some of the profits I have made down the years have as much been down to luck rather than judgement. At present I have a strategy of putting 80% of my funds for SIPPs/ISA's into the hands of capable fund managers. Stocks I currently hold are Just Eat, Dixons, NCC Group, Purplebricks and Metro Bank.

Two funds I bought post Brexit are Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust and Fundsmith, both of which have increased over 10% since the fateful day so I am happy with that. More importantly both these funds have a record of providing solid returns over the longer term and are well respected in the financial world. I also like investing in technology shares and have parked some cash with the Allianz Technology Trust.

Before I go here's a few investment ideas for a Tikay style fund Smiley.

Lafarge Holcim - Concrete Solutions company - Listed in Paris and Zurich
Bombadier - Train Manufacturer - Listed in Toronto
Kier Group - Property and Construction - London
Hornby  PLC Smiley -  Model Railways -  AIM - London

Ok I got bored after 4 companies, perhaps it's the subject material Wink.  

I thnk Metro Bank could be a  nice long term hold.  I don't know a great deal about shares but as a challenger bank they are pretty decent in the Mortgage market.  They are changing lots of things slowly and they are positive changes so far.  If they become bolder and relax some of their rules they could be a big player in the market soon and that is likely to give them more exposure. 

Looks like a complete bag of bollocks to me.  A loss making bank at a huge premium to net assets.  Talks about a powerful AMAZE culture in the half year results.  Sounds impressive?  Nope, not to me either.

Ironically I have held Metro Bank since floatation, currently sitting on paper profits of 40%. Although we are only talking about 6 months compare the performance of MB with the "profitable" banks. Yes they pay nice dividends but over the last 10 years there hasn't been any capital appreciation.

Loss making companies share prices do appreciate and in my humble opinion, markets see them as "disruptor" in their sector. I have spent a lot of time engaging with Metro Bank over the last few years through business and socially, they are a proper bank with a culture that I can only describe as similar to the likes of John Lewis.

They offer a personalised service that we haven't seen from all the other high street banks for decades. Perish the thought of being on first name terms with your local bank manager! But it works and I am sure in time they will take significant market share and start to turn a profit.

I don't think Metrobank are offering anything much new.  All banks uses to be like that and they moved away from it for a reason.  So the question is can Metrobank do what banks did before, but manage to make enough to more than cover costs. And then can it grow at the huge growth rate needed to justify their lofty valuation against the net assets (the market cap is over 5x the value of assets, which is miles away from traditional banks, and some of that is goodwill). 

It really worries me that they aren't even making money right now.  The other banks profits are held back by huge legacy issues from PPI, other misselling, large employee/pension costs and legacy bad debts, yet some of them still make money.  I know Metrobank have big start up costs, but they have been going a few years now, and the last few years has been pretty favourable since the financial crisis.  Now I could be more confident if the director's spent their time discussing the financials and how they are going to make it work, but their statements are just loaded with corporate bullshit.  Sorry, but I'd far rather to see something more weighty than this if I am going to pay more than 500% of the underlying value for your assets.   

Anyway we've been here before, http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=46283.0.  Desire fell to 10p or so, got merged into FOGL., lost some more and ended up part of Rockhopper.  I could find any number of promising growth stock threads on the old boards at fool.co.uk from back in the day.  So many have them just disappeared to dust.

I don't think Metrobank isn't going to end up like Desire did, and they aren't far off profitability, but they need to be far more than just profitable for me to pay that premium to assets. 

Sure some growth stocks will fulfill their promises, but give me profits/dividends any day. 

Growth while you accumulate, Dividends when you need an income is what my investment mantra is. With regards to Metro Bank, they form less than 1% of my portfolio so if they do not match their potential then I won't be kept awake at night! Performance wise they are way ahead of the other banks on performance YTD.

I still have a sizeable amount of my portfolio in Gold, not too concerned about the falls this week a lot of the downside was diluted by the pound collapsing again. Worrying times for the country at the moment, all the fundamentals suggest that we have weathered the brexit storm. when I really believe we won't feel the true impact until next year.l

acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »

Bit of time today so updated this with current position - still holding all the shares I bought last year - boohoo continues to be pretty exceptional with recent buy notes suggesting a £1.20 target

The other 4 are more or less a wash which is pretty poor picking with the fairly bullish market since Brexit.

Boohoo covers up a lot of sins so happy overall

Click to see full-size image.

Solid returns there well played. As you have made significant profits in what is a concentrated portfolio are you considering spreading risk by re-investing some of the proceeds into other companies or funds?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »

I saw yr note this morning and was thinking if I really wanted to change anything and concluded that I was pretty happy to let things run. Not overly keen on researching funds and have small amount in some fidelity funds via another pension.

Despite my slight aversion to funds, on the basis that spreading risk tends to also limit the upside, the funds I chose, all Asian, have actually done pretty well > 11% growth in the last6 months but less than I've seen some colleagues achieve.

No real time to research other stocks so leave it were my thoughts- wish I'd had a different thought after Laird wiped out around 7k of the profits today :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »

I saw yr note this morning and was thinking if I really wanted to change anything and concluded that I was pretty happy to let things run. Not overly keen on researching funds and have small amount in some fidelity funds via another pension.

Despite my slight aversion to funds, on the basis that spreading risk tends to also limit the upside, the funds I chose, all Asian, have actually done pretty well > 11% growth in the last6 months but less than I've seen some colleagues achieve.

No real time to research other stocks so leave it were my thoughts- wish I'd had a different thought after Laird wiped out around 7k of the profits today :-)

I am invested in the following Asian funds, which have done very well this year.

Legg Mason Japan +40% since Jan
Jupiter India +50% since Jan
Stewart Investors Asia Pacific Leaders +35% since Jan
Baille Gifford Shin Nippon (Japan) + 8% since September

In fact most of the funds I have picked this year are in positive territory. It's a shame some of my shares have bombed out including NCC and Dixons Group.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »

I am invested in the following Asian funds, which have done very well this year.

In fact most of the funds I have picked this year are in positive territory. It's a shame some of my shares have bombed out including NCC and Dixons Group.

Pardon my off-topic interruption, but I did enjoy that Post you made earlier today, elsewhere. Unforch, things being what they are, I could not really reply, or give it the "+1" thing.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

Pardon my off-topic interruption, but I did enjoy that Post you made earlier today, elsewhere. Unforch, things being what they are, I could not really reply, or give it the "+1" thing.

I understand Tikay.

You have to be neutral on such matters for obvious reasons. Fortunately for me, I can say what I like within reason Smiley.

Love the banter with Phil over there. I haven't seen him for ages need to catch up with him soon. He is the second sky reg that I have previously worked with.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »

I understand Tikay.

You have to be neutral on such matters for obvious reasons. Fortunately for me, I can say what I like within reason Smiley.

Love the banter with Phil over there. I haven't seen him for ages need to catch up with him soon. He is the second sky reg that I have previously worked with.

EssexPhil?

Lovely chap, decent player, too. Lives in Frinton on Sea I believe. Proper posh, that.

I "hosted" him in Vegas this year. Fun times.

Anyway, apologies to all for the interruption.

As you were.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »

I understand Tikay.

EssexPhil?

Lovely chap, decent player, too. Lives in Frinton on Sea I believe. Proper posh, that.

I "hosted" him in Vegas this year. Fun times.

Anyway, apologies to all for the interruption.

As you were.

Yep that's the man. He used to be a standup comedian, heaven knows how ............his jokes are awful!
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2016, 02:57:15 PM »

Question for the more initiated. 

My mrs has  a share save option with esure and she has £3600 locked in at a share price of £1.94 she has options of cashing out at the value of the shares just now, meaning she makes an additional £1700 or so.

Esure has recently announced a de-merger of GoCompare believe that is to happen in November. 

Price has steadily dropped over the last few weeks.  But share price much more favourable than earlier in the year. 

Would you hold onto the shares and ride this out or sell and take the £1700 profit.

Will the number of shares that get sold following the end of this particular share save have and impact on share price, the consensus amongst many of her colleagues is they are cashing out. 
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »

A pretty big factor in my decision in that spot would be whether or not it is the firm/CEO buying back the shares of those that wish to sell

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »

To be pedantic IIRC the way sharesave works is that you either get your money back or your shares THEN if you have the shares you can sell them immediately (or sell some keep some).  Don't think that the company can buy them back directly.

As they are only options until the point of purchase, there shouldn't be a negative effect ie shares are being bought and then sold or kept on the same day (though there might be some link with maturing options and share price, I suppose).

As far as keeping is concerned, it really depends on how much she has tied up in this investment in comparison to overall savings - eggs/basket.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »

Ok I get it, so over the term that she has been paying into the scheme she gets the price of £1.94 so with £3600 paid in that comes to 1856 shares that are worth ~£5300 at todays price of £2.86

So to lock in the £3600 paid in you'd need to take the option and sell 1,259 shares and the question is what to do with the remaining 597 shares that at todays price are worth £1700

(That was probably obvious to the sharps, I'm thinking out loud Tongue)

Depends largely on your risk appetite vs personal financial position. With this Brexit business we're probably going to be entering a period of general stock price volatility but I can't find anything to suggest that esure does much business outside the UK so probably not really a factor in this case. You're pretty well insulated in that its going to take one hell of a collapse in the stock price for you to actually lose much of that extra £1700. If the cash is going to sit in a low interest savings account then I would strongly consider just keeping them.

If you haven't maxed your ISA allowance then get them into a stocks and shares ISA

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »

To be pedantic IIRC the way sharesave works is that you either get your money back or your shares THEN if you have the shares you can sell them immediately (or sell some keep some).  Don't think that the company can buy them back directly.

As they are only options until the point of purchase, there shouldn't be a negative effect ie shares are being bought and then sold or kept on the same day (though there might be some link with maturing options and share price, I suppose).

As far as keeping is concerned, it really depends on how much she has tied up in this investment in comparison to overall savings - eggs/basket.

Thanks, this would be at this moment in time the vast majority of her savings.  They took a bit of a dunt since buying a house.  

I'd expect we are likely to be debt free by March/April time and will only be servicing the mortgage and can then replenish the savings.  

Either way it's not going to cause massive hardship.  We toyed with the idea of using the share money for a new kitchen that will be money well spent.  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: