blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Rate my shares
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate my shares  (Read 56629 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2016, 01:13:35 PM »

Sorry Tikay didn't fully reply to your question about LAW. See a new acronym!

I am definitely not an AKB (Arsene Knows Best) anymore, and have over the last 12 months moved over to the WOB (Wenger out brigade). The club are being run as a business for the benefit of Kroenke who has to take responsibility but so does Wenger. This year we should have won the league, all it would have taken is a proven goalscorer and a decent defensive midfielder (Pogba springs to mind) and I really believe we would be coasting to the title. To go the whole summer without signing an outfield player when we clearly needed at least 1 or 2 is unforgivable.

I know........ Wink

We have an Arsenal thread, you know. I've not dared read the last 10 pages, it gets a little warm in there from time to time.

Nice story today though, when Arsene sent a birthday letter & signed football to the son of one of our Members.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=56806.1845
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:15:34 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »

Sorry Tikay didn't fully reply to your question about LAW. See a new acronym!

I am definitely not an AKB (Arsene Knows Best) anymore, and have over the last 12 months moved over to the WOB (Wenger out brigade). The club are being run as a business for the benefit of Kroenke who has to take responsibility but so does Wenger. This year we should have won the league, all it would have taken is a proven goalscorer and a decent defensive midfielder (Pogba springs to mind) and I really believe we would be coasting to the title. To go the whole summer without signing an outfield player when we clearly needed at least 1 or 2 is unforgivable.

I know........ Wink

We have an Arsenal thread, you know. I've not dared read the last 10 pages, it gets a little warm in there from time to time.

Nice story today though, when Arsene sent a birthday letter & signed football to the son of one of our Members.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=56806.1845

There is an Arsene Wenger thread on the onlinegooner, this one is tame compared with some of the comments made about AW on there. Personally I avoid the Wenger Out thread, some of the stuff said is way out of line. You have to give him credit with the stadium move etc but he is ruining his legacy. I now miss Highbury, you couldn't beat a midweek cup tie in years gone by with a packed North Bank Terrace. Proper football in those days played by men not pansy's, with an amazing atmosphere something modern stadia could never come close to.
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2016, 09:39:04 AM »

In my previous post I mentioned diversification as a way of mitigating risk. When I say this I mean not putting all your eggs in one basket, as well as company shares you can easily invest in managed funds, commercial property, bonds, commodities, currrency and cash (although the returns from cash have been awful for many years).

This year there are two inherent risk situations, firstly the Chinese economy and stock market which has already had a massive influence on share prices globally, and yes it's reared its ugly head again Brexit. So focusing on Brexit, the "experts" believe that leaving the EU will have a detrimental effect on shares outside the FTSE100 (which really comprises global organisations rather than just British). I am talking about companies that are in the FTSE250/350 and small cap (such as AIM listed). The pound is under incredible pressure, on the day the Boris joined the leave camp, the pound fell 2.5% against the dollar on that day alone which is a massive swing for any currency. Analysts are talking about the pound depreciating 10-15% against the dollar if we leave the EU.

So how have I tried to play this. Well gold fulfils two criteria, it is a safe haven asset which investors turn to when the stock market hits bad times, and it is also priced in dollars so if the value of sterling (versus the dollar) falls my investment value increases even if the gold price remains static. I am using ETF's (exchange traded funds) which are designed to mirror the movement in the price of gold. I will review post referendum and decide if I want to stay invested in gold going forward. My initial investment in the fund was made in January and we are pretty much break even at the moment, but any more volatility in the markets will not doubt have investors piling into gold.

Just a footnote about the investments I make, these are not personal recommendations. Everyone's situation is different. If you are not sure about investing money in high risk instruments, it's always best to seek professional advice first.

I am quite an aggressive investor always looking for value in different markets but at the same time looking to hedge risk. The gold investment is a classic example.

acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2016, 12:55:40 PM »

Shame this thread has died a death, today ARM holdings accepted a big offer from Softbank for £17 a share which given the prices I paid represent a massive windfall for me!
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »

Shame this thread has died a death, today ARM holdings accepted a big offer from Softbank for £17 a share which given the prices I paid represent a massive windfall for me!

That is a very nice return, in a SIPP too so no CGT?

What are you thinking of investing the proceeds on?

Thoughts on "brexit proof" shares in the coming months (Obviously with the caveat that you are not offering investment advice!) Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »

Market turbulence always presents buying opportunities. The optimum position is where you anticipated the turbulence and sold most/all of your holdings, then had the chance to re-invest at a major discount. Next best is where you still have a chunk of uninvested cash, so you can average down your holdings or get into the companies that you thought had been fully valued or indeed overpriced. Nirvana hasn't said, but I get the impression that he was fully invested, but there's certainly an opportunity to re-evaluate the holdings & maybe sell one to take advantage of a better discounted price.

Whilst Builders have taken a hammering, they've made up some but not all of the ground lost in the initial Brexit collapse. The fear element in this sector should really be focussed (imo) on the agents, the high-end residential markets and commercial. Most house builders cater for the middle market, and some are even involved in substantial public works. All IMHO. I have an interest in Galliford Try, and for those who can afford to invest, it's worth doing some research of your own.
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2016, 06:24:53 PM »

Thoughts on "brexit proof" shares in the coming months (Obviously with the caveat that you are not offering investment advice!) Smiley

Yeah it's in a SIPP so no tax worries and also no temptation to go out and spend the profit!  The return is around 580%, 358% and 215% on an investment that spans between 3 and 6 years. I bought more shares as the price went up.

Looking at it from a UK perspective, we have lost a true world beater which is a real shame. The general consensus amongst shareholders is the share price would eventually get well beyond the £17 offered but it would be a few years we that the company as it is hits those levels. Personally if I had my own way, I would keep the investment - I am definitely not a Jam today type of person.

If the Japanese do end up firing the UK workers then I will not be happy, this is all a direct consequence of Brexit. They said it was scaremongering but I think we really are looking at some tough times ahead, but that's another debate that i've had my fill of tbh.

Good question about re-investing the profits, I really do not have a clue. Going by the normal size of investments I usually make I will need to find 4 or 5 companies or funds to park my money. Will need to start thinking about this but technology type investments will probably be the way.

With regards to Brexit Proofing, really it's probably too late now. If you read up I mentioned my investments in Gold and overseas Shares/Funds prior to the referendum. I have more money at this time invested in overseas companies than UK companies and because the £ has collapsed, my portfolio increased 10% within a few days of the referendum, and it has done well since Brexit. I also bought more gold over the last few days as I think the market rally has been overdone, and a certain Mr Trump is looming over the horizon. Gold is up over 20% year to date so proving to be a good "safe haven" investment.

If Boris Johnson can move the pound a significant amount by joining vote leave, then god help us if Trump gets into the White House!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:33:09 PM by acegooner » Logged
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »

Yeah it's in a SIPP so no tax worries and also no temptation to go out and spend the profit!  The return is around 580%, 358% and 215% on an investment that spans between 3 and 6 years. I bought more shares as the price went up.

Looking at it from a UK perspective, we have lost a true world beater which is a real shame. The general consensus amongst shareholders is the share price would eventually get well beyond the £17 offered but it would be a few years before it hits those levels. Personally if I had my own way, I would keep the investment - I am definitely not a Jam today type of person.

If the Japanese do end up firing the UK workers then I will not be happy, this is all a direct consequence of Brexit. They said it was scaremongering but I think we really are looking at some tough times ahead, but that's another debate that i've had my fill of tbh.

Good question about re-investing the profits, I really do not have a clue. Going by the normal size of investments I usually make I will need to find 4 or 5 companies or funds to park my money. Will need to start thinking about this but technology type investments will probably be the way.

With regards to Brexit Proofing, really it's probably too late now. If you read up I mentioned my investments in Gold and overseas Shares/Funds prior to the referendum. I have more money at this time invested in overseas companies than UK companies and because the £ has collapsed, my portfolio increased 10% within a few days of the referendum, and it has done well since Brexit. I also bought more gold over the last few days as I think the market rally has been overdone, and a certain Mr Trump is looming over the horizon. Gold is up over 20% year to date so proving to be a good "safe haven" investment.

If Boris Johnson can move the pound a significant amount by joining vote leave, then god help us if Trump gets into the White House!

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »

Quite interesting seeing ARM today (haven't looked at them for years).

If I still held 20% of the shares I held in ARM at various times in 1999 I'd be rather wealthy now - silly thoughts of course because they weren't being bought for long term holds. Still a good demo of what you can achieve over a relatively short period or what seems like a short period at my age now.

Stimulated me to a brief update - having spent most of my SIPP monies back in Nov, I haven't really paid attention - thought it might stimulate me to get active and use other monies but it hasn't really.

I look at this portfolio every day though and have a kind of have a mental stop-loss in mind of 10% from here. Lack of time/motivation means I'm probably missing opportunities to lock in some profit and more pertinently perhaps take some losses on shares like Barclays.

BOOHOO has well exceeded my expectation in the timescale and accounts for all the gain in the portfolio which is pretty good and way better than any advisory service would have yielded for me (luckbox).

The other 4 shares (notionally more steady) come out as a wash and am happy with all the holdings still except BARC. It's a relatively small piece (now) and the rationale side of me says the money could be used much better elsewhere and the emotional side wants to hang on and try and recover a little more ground. Think I need to move my SIPP provider so I can trade shares online myself rather than bother with the brokers as it might motivate me to play around a little more. Probably just let it ride because I'm lazy

Anyway, here's the scores on the doors - must revisit the current analysis on BOO as could still present a great opportunity

Click to see full-size image.

sola virtus nobilitat
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »

Bit quiet in here. All the RR holders still dancing around? Smiley
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »

Bit quiet in here. All the RR holders still dancing around? Smiley

I wish. Pretty sure they were £12 a few years ago. Having said that, decent bounce recently.

They keep sending me scrip dividends (I assume they are scrip divs) ) in the form of Non Cumulative Redeemable Preference Shares. No exaggeration, I bet I have hundreds of thousands of them. Think they are worth £0.0001 each. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »

Keep meaning to drop in for an update, so the ARM takeover will be completed by September and my SIPP account will be funded with the cash equivalent of £17 a share. I decided to sell half my holding last month, on the basis that the takeover might not happen, and that if that was the case it would give me the opportunity to buy in for a lower price. As things stand, I expect the takeover to proceed smoothly with no hitches.

Whilst ARM is a notable investment success for me, I am at pains to stress that I do not consider myself a good stock picker. Some of the profits I have made down the years have as much been down to luck rather than judgement. At present I have a strategy of putting 80% of my funds for SIPPs/ISA's into the hands of capable fund managers. Stocks I currently hold are Just Eat, Dixons, NCC Group, Purplebricks and Metro Bank.

Two funds I bought post Brexit are Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust and Fundsmith, both of which have increased over 10% since the fateful day so I am happy with that. More importantly both these funds have a record of providing solid returns over the longer term and are well respected in the financial world. I also like investing in technology shares and have parked some cash with the Allianz Technology Trust.

Before I go here's a few investment ideas for a Tikay style fund Smiley.

Lafarge Holcim - Concrete Solutions company - Listed in Paris and Zurich
Bombadier - Train Manufacturer - Listed in Toronto
Kier Group - Property and Construction - London
Hornby  PLC Smiley -  Model Railways -  AIM - London

Ok I got bored after 4 companies, perhaps it's the subject material Wink.  

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »

^^^^

Ha, now you are talking.

Excellent work. 

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2016, 01:16:12 PM »

Bought a chunk in Hornby though still showing a loss there.

Restaurant Group is my current star. I bought in April 2016 and two days later a profit warning led to a quick 20% drop...doubled my holding a few weeks later and its now showing a 33% plus profit in 4 months, just announced a restructuring closing a number of duff outlets and ousted the old Chief exec.

My painful shares are still NEXT and Tesco both continuing to bump along at 20% losses.

Overall my portfolios in a SIPP and a ISA are back above pre Brexit vote levels but been very volatile this year.

I do agree though I've had some very lucky picks and generally avoided real disasters but I do tend to buy and keep than constantly trade.

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »

Keep meaning to drop in for an update, so the ARM takeover will be completed by September and my SIPP account will be funded with the cash equivalent of £17 a share. I decided to sell half my holding last month, on the basis that the takeover might not happen, and that if that was the case it would give me the opportunity to buy in for a lower price. As things stand, I expect the takeover to proceed smoothly with no hitches.

Whilst ARM is a notable investment success for me, I am at pains to stress that I do not consider myself a good stock picker. Some of the profits I have made down the years have as much been down to luck rather than judgement. At present I have a strategy of putting 80% of my funds for SIPPs/ISA's into the hands of capable fund managers. Stocks I currently hold are Just Eat, Dixons, NCC Group, Purplebricks and Metro Bank.

Two funds I bought post Brexit are Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust and Fundsmith, both of which have increased over 10% since the fateful day so I am happy with that. More importantly both these funds have a record of providing solid returns over the longer term and are well respected in the financial world. I also like investing in technology shares and have parked some cash with the Allianz Technology Trust.

Before I go here's a few investment ideas for a Tikay style fund Smiley.

Lafarge Holcim - Concrete Solutions company - Listed in Paris and Zurich
Bombadier - Train Manufacturer - Listed in Toronto
Kier Group - Property and Construction - London
Hornby  PLC Smiley -  Model Railways -  AIM - London

Ok I got bored after 4 companies, perhaps it's the subject material Wink.  

I thnk Metro Bank could be a  nice long term hold.  I don't know a great deal about shares but as a challenger bank they are pretty decent in the Mortgage market.  They are changing lots of things slowly and they are positive changes so far.  If they become bolder and relax some of their rules they could be a big player in the market soon and that is likely to give them more exposure. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: