blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:52:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 665081 times)
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: December 02, 2016, 04:36:16 AM »

11. This President was an all-round sports star, including being the star football player at Michigan University, winning two national NCAA titles, being nominated as 'Most Valuable Player' and playing on the College All-Star team picked from all colleges. He turned down pro offers from Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions to attend Yale, where he paid his way by working as the university boxing coach. He also had a modelling career, appearing on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine. Gerald Ford

Ford gained a reputation for being awkward and unco-ordinated due to some slips on aeroplane steps. The Press latched on to LBJ's phrase that "Jerry Ford is so dumb he can't walk and chew gum at the same time". This couldn't have been further from the truth, as Ford had been an amazing athlete and was still exceptionally fit for his age.

These pics show him at the Univ of Michigan, with the Yale boxing team he coached (back centre left) and he is the jumper on the left in the basketball game (which he organised as Physical Activities Officer on the ship).

Click to see full-size image.

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 02, 2016, 04:41:09 AM »

Great stuff Mint, thanks for posting

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 02, 2016, 04:43:55 AM »

12. Another war hero, who received numerous prestigious medals, including the Purple Heart. This President's patrol boat was cut in half. Instead of surrendering, he led his surviving men in a three-mile swim to an island, and then to a second island, from where they were rescued. Despite his own injuries, he towed a badly burned crewman through the water to the island with a life-jacket strap clenched between his teeth. Jack Kennedy

The first island had no resources or shelter and was only useful for resting. Kennedy was a champion swimmer and had been on the Harvard swim team and he undertook a solo swim looking for a friendly vessel or another island, but didn't succeed. After a few days, the whole group undertook a swim to a distant island, where they found coconut trees, which gave them their first food and drink for four days, plus shelter. Finally, Kennedy and one other swam to Nauru, several miles away on the horizon. There, he cut a message on a coconut, which two natives took by canoe to an Allied base 35 miles away. He kept the coconut in the Oval Office.

13. The daughter of one these two Presidents is married to the grandson of the other. The Presidential retreat, Camp David, is named after the grandson, as his grandfather thought that its previous name, Shangri-La, was too grand.
Julie Nixon is married to David Eisenhower.

14. Only one President has won a Grammy (he won two). And his wife also won one. Also, only one President has won a Pulitzer Prize (you know, journalism).
It's not Reagan. I got this wrong as I thought that only Bill Clinton had won it (and Hillary). When I checked, though, it seems that Barack Obama has also won two and Jimmy Carter won his second this year, on his seventh nomination. Both Clintons have also had other nominations, as has Michelle Obama. How are they all getting Grammys? They are all for the Best Spoken Word Album, for reading from their books.
Jack Kennedy was the Pulitzer Prize winner.

15. This President was adopted. He was born Leslie Lynch King Jr, but his mother split from his abusive father and remarried, with the future President taking his new father's name. He served as President and Vice-President, but is the only President who was never elected to either position. Gerald Ford

Until the 25th Amendment in 1967, Vice-Presidents weren't replaced until the next election if they died or resigned or took over from a dead President. The office had lain vacant sixteen times, on several occasions for almost the full four years. In total, there was no Vice-President for over forty years of the period between 1776 and 1967. After LBJ operated with no VP when he subbed in for JFK, it was decided to change the system so that Presidents would now appoint a new one if a vacancy arose. The Amendment was applied twice almost immediately - just six years later, Spiro Agnew resigned as VP and Nixon appointed Ford in his place. When Nixon resigned the following year, Ford replaced him and, in turn, appointed Nelson Rockefeller as Vice-President.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:54:39 AM by MintTrav » Logged
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 02, 2016, 05:54:39 AM »

16. This President was an avid stamp collector, spending time on his collection every night, including several hours on the night of the day he received the most devastating news of his Presidency. He built one of the largest collections in the world, receiving the first sheets of every new stamp and amassed a vast collection of US and foreign first-day covers. He also designed many of the new stamps issued during his Presidency. You can form your own view as to whether this was a useful way for a President to spend his limited time.

FDR was the one who wasted thousands of Presidential hours on this childish activity.

17. This President's mother was Jewish, though he wasn't. He won the highest ever percentage of the popular vote. He was the only one to be sworn in by a woman, the first to appoint a Black person to his cabinet, the first to appoint a Black Supreme Court Judge and the first to meet a Pope. His intimidatory method of persuasion was known as The Treatment. 

Lyndon Johnson was very effective, pushing through a lot of anti-racial and other liberal domestic legislation. He had his own way of getting his own way!

18. These two Presidents joined Congress at the same time and became close friends, although they had completely different backgrounds and personalities and represented opposing parties. Fourteen years later, they faced off for the Presidency, and they both ended up in the White House eventually. Both of them indulged in some skullduggery to win that first election. The Republican, who earned a place at Harvard but could not afford to go, falsely accused his opponent of being in hock to the unions and of being a Communist. The Democrat, who did go to Harvard, missed the deadline for filing his election papers, so got someone to let him into the Statehouse that night and added them to the others. The main local newspaper was owned by William Randolph Hearst, a family friend, who ensured that his main rival's name for the Democrat nomination did not appear once in the paper for the last two months of the campaign. He also paid a namesake of one of his opponents to run, splitting his vote. 

It seems unlikely, but the intense and poor workaholic Richard Nixon and the languid millionaire Jack Kennedy were strong friends. Nixon was a Communist-hunter, but they were both liberal on social matters. When Nixon became President, he invited Jackie and the children to revisit the White House.

Niton was the truth-bender about his "Communist" opponent; Kennedy was the late-night intruder.

19. This President collects comic books, specifically Spiderman and Conan the Barbarian. He is also the only modern President to have been a University Professor (Hillary Clinton would have been another). Barack Obama

20. There have been many assassination attempts on Presidents, mostly unsuccessful, but only two known to have been carried out by women. Both of them targeted the same President in unrelated incidents just 17 days apart. Who? Gerald Ford

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 02, 2016, 09:00:47 AM »

Fabulous stuff, Minty.

If only we had more like you.

Thank you.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1445 on: December 02, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »

Fabulous stuff, Minty.

If only we had more like you.

Thank you.

Amen.

This is the closest I've ever been to being in school. It's great.

The older I get, the better I was.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 02, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »

Guess who has emerged as favourite for Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs in the last couple of days?

I didn't think Trump rated her as he didn't really use her in the campaign, but the leaks from the transition team are that your favourite ex-Governor is in the frame.

Trump said during the campaign that the Dept needed a clear-out and repositioning. Sarah undoubtedly wouldn't shrink from bold decisions, but you gotta think that eventually there would be a disaster of some kind.

Maybe they're just flying a kite to gauge the reaction.

What really surprises me is that Veterans Affairs is a Cabinet position, in fact it's the largest Department. How can that be?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1447 on: December 02, 2016, 06:51:53 PM »

Sarah Palin's endorsement was the only time where Trump looked like the normal one being a bit embarrassed to be sharing a stage with the weirdo:

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 03, 2016, 05:17:56 AM »

Bombshell from Palin, slamming Trump's agreement to bail out Carrier at a cost of $7m as 'crony capitalism'.

“When government steps in arbitrarily with individual subsidies, favoring one business over others, it sets inconsistent, unfair, illogical precedent.......we support competition on a level playing field, remember? Because we know special interest crony capitalism is one big fail. Politicians picking and choosing recipients of corporate welfare is railed against by fiscal conservatives, for it’s a hallmark of corruption.........A $20 trillion debt-ridden country can’t afford this sinfully stupid practice, so vigilantly guard against its continuance, or we’re doomed."

http://www.youngcons.com/sarah-palin-but-wait-the-good-guys-wont-win-with-more-crony-capitalism/

I guess she's been told she's not getting the VA job.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 03, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »

China lodges complaint with US over Trump's Taiwan phone call

thought to be the first US/Taiwan leader conversation since 1979

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/03/china-donald-trumps-taiwan-phone-call-complaint-us?CMP=twt_gu

what's worse? if Trump knew the offence the call would cause and still made it or if he didn't know and made it?!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1450 on: December 03, 2016, 12:42:42 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/03/china-donald-trumps-taiwan-phone-call-complaint-us?CMP=twt_gu

what's worse? if Trump knew the offence the call would cause and still made it or if he didn't know and made it?!

If Trump knew the offence the call would cause and still made it.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1451 on: December 03, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »

But what about looking at this as an olive branch to mend 30+ years of non existant diplomatic relations? You could argue he would have caused offence to Taiwan by not accepting the call?

Not sure which I think is worse, tbh, good Q Tighty.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 03, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »

But what about looking at this as an olive branch to mend 30+ years of non existant diplomatic relations? You could argue he would have caused offence to Taiwan by not accepting the call?

I highly doubt any 'offence' was caused, but they are going to say something as a point of principle every single time.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1453 on: December 03, 2016, 01:07:27 PM »

Oh I thought Trump made the call.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 04, 2016, 07:06:49 AM »

Rental plane no longer needed by previous user in for respray:

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 ... 308 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: