blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 664597 times)
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: March 31, 2020, 03:08:35 AM »

Some details on how the House leaders tried to avoid bringing Representatives back to vote in person, and how Thomas Massie forced them to. By insisting on sticking to the letter of the Constitution, he forced a couple of hundred Congressmen to fly back to DC to vote their approval of the coronavirus stimulus bill.

This is his justification, which didn't justify anything. People on his side, ie other Republicans, including the President and GOP House Leader Kevin McCarthy (ie his boss), have laid into him, but he doesn't care.

The guy is nuts. This is why Kerry has it in for him. Massie challenged him with some barely believable questions that would make you think he has no understanding of science or how degrees work. In fact, he has science degrees and a starry background in engineering inventions, which make his questions even more unbelievable.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: March 31, 2020, 03:26:38 AM »

Just watching those Massie videos now, and he comes across a nasty piece of work.

Is that his career over now?

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: March 31, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »

Just watching those Massie videos now, and he comes across a nasty piece of work.

I'd say so. He is hated by the leadership and foot-soldier Reps of both parties cos he keeps objecting on matters that both parties agree on and making them vote in person (decisions can go through without a vote in an almost empty chamber, but it only needs one objector to force a proper vote). And it's not just once or twice - he has done it many times, even on trivial items like whether to give Jack Nicklaus a medal. He is also doubly disliked for being one of the least supportive in the GOP of the President's positions (69% voting in support of Trump v 95% average). McCarthy and Pelosi confronted him together on the floor of the House over the coronavirus vote, but he wouldn't budge, so Congressmen who had been sent home had to take flights or drive long distances and mix together - and a lot of these guys are at a susceptible age to the virus. This stuff matters a lot when it comes to re-election and your support and donations dry up, and he is up for re-election this year. He was already facing a challenge for the GOP nomination by someone who says he will be a more reliable voter for Trump. There seem to be a lot of people supporting him if you look at his Twitter or whatever https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie  but the party machine will probably take him down and, now that the President has said "Throw Massie out of the Republican Party", whatever public support he has will likely melt away.

The guy is a strange hillbilly/genius, who just looks at things differently. He excelled at MIT and has over twenty patents to his name, most famously one he developed as a student to enable people to communicate physically with computers, winning some prestigious prizes and raising over $30m in venture capital. Then he sold up and moved back to Kentucky and built a farmhouse himself. This is quite a pleasant watch if you need to fill half an hour:

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: March 31, 2020, 02:58:20 PM »

Cheers, will watch that now with lunch.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: March 31, 2020, 02:58:44 PM »

And a stable genius.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: March 31, 2020, 04:27:54 PM »

Really interesting documentary, and obviously super smart.

That house really is beautiful. My brother is a builder and he commented on how amazing it was.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: March 31, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »

Big Lord of the Rings fan, I guess Cheesy

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: March 31, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »

Watched quite a bit of the Cuomo videos yesterday. Seems to be doing a good job on the comms. The situation is pretty terrible but he certainly appears like a man who is going to take care of it to the best possible conclusion..from here anyway.

sola virtus nobilitat
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: March 31, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »

You gotta see this one.

Chris Cuomo is one of CNN's top anchors, presenting the nightly show Cuomo Prime Time, currently from his home.

Yesterday he interviewed his brother, who is in his third term as Governor of New York State.

Their father was Mario Cuomo, who was also Governor three times.

Chris presses a few times and at 7:30, he asks the question the country is asking, ie will Andrew run for President, but it's at 12:00 that it really takes off.

And today Chris has tested positive for Covid-19.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: March 31, 2020, 07:36:59 PM »

I'd say so. He is hated by the leadership and foot-soldier Reps of both parties cos he keeps objecting on matters that both parties agree on and making them vote in person (decisions can go through without a vote in an almost empty chamber, but it only needs one objector to force a proper vote). And it's not just once or twice - he has done it many times, even on trivial items like whether to give Jack Nicklaus a medal. He is also doubly disliked for being one of the least supportive in the GOP of the President's positions (69% voting in support of Trump v 95% average). McCarthy and Pelosi confronted him together on the floor of the House over the coronavirus vote, but he wouldn't budge, so Congressmen who had been sent home had to take flights or drive long distances and mix together - and a lot of these guys are at a susceptible age to the virus. This stuff matters a lot when it comes to re-election and your support and donations dry up, and he is up for re-election this year. He was already facing a challenge for the GOP nomination by someone who says he will be a more reliable voter for Trump. There seem to be a lot of people supporting him if you look at his Twitter or whatever https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie  but the party machine will probably take him down and, now that the President has said "Throw Massie out of the Republican Party", whatever public support he has will likely melt away.

The guy is a strange hillbilly/genius, who just looks at things differently. He excelled at MIT and has over twenty patents to his name, most famously one he developed as a student to enable people to communicate physically with computers, winning some prestigious prizes and raising over $30m in venture capital. Then he sold up and moved back to Kentucky and built a farmhouse himself. This is quite a pleasant watch if you need to fill half an hour:

This is well worth half an hour of anybody's time I think. Another life lesson on not judging people too quickly, had watched the other clips and he's hard to like. But this film shows a whole other perspective. I guess we all have the capacity to be simultaneously a complete idiot and really quite remarkable.

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: March 31, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »

You should worry, Glenn. That's exactly what I came out of it thinking Cheesy

That sauce must be good, to cause that much friction, lol.

Do they get on?

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: March 31, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »

You gotta see this one.

Chris Cuomo is one of CNN's top anchors, presenting the nightly show Cuomo Prime Time, currently from his home.

Yesterday he interviewed his brother, who is in his third term as Governor of New York State.

Their father was Mario Cuomo, who was also Governor three times.

Chris presses a few times and at 7:30, he asks the question the country is asking, ie will Andrew run for President, but it's at 12:00 that it really takes off.

And today Chris has tested positive for Covid-19.

Watched a 3-4 min clip from this earlier centred around the piece about running for president, great fun from 12 mins on as you mentioned

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: March 31, 2020, 07:54:14 PM »

Do they get on?
[/quote
I think it was like looking in on an inside family joke. To me it looked like deep love and affection wrapped up in a New Yorker kind of insouciance (always wanted to use that word)

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: March 31, 2020, 07:59:24 PM »

Do they get on?
I think it was like looking in on an inside family joke. To me it looked like deep love and affection wrapped up in a New Yorker kind of insouciance (always wanted to use that word)

I wasn't sure at first because we're always much snidier with mates than that, and Americans look at us like we're off our heads.

Once you get right to the end, you can see that they just have the sarcasm and digging each other out bit down like us.

Good word, that. Had to look it up Cheesy

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: March 31, 2020, 08:00:19 PM »

Wondered why Ricky Tomlinson was trending...

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 ... 308 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: