blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  They are dropping like flies at the moment
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 ... 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: They are dropping like flies at the moment  (Read 207456 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: May 13, 2019, 06:12:29 PM »

Kev itt now, but I think he's more a Dusty Springfield type of guy.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »

Stop throwing out these blasts from the past Tom, every time you do that I have to feed my Wiki addiction & go look them up. I was not even sure if she was still alive. (Nope, been gone 20 years).

All of this is new to me;

Some of Springfield's biographers and journalists have speculated that she had two personalities: shy, quiet, Mary O'Brien, and the public face she had created as Dusty Springfield. An editorial review at Publishers Weekly of Valentine and Wickham's 2001 biography, Dancing with Demons, finds that "the confidence [Springfield] exuded on vinyl was a facade masking severe insecurities, addictions to drink and drugs, bouts of self-harm and fear of losing her career if exposed as a lesbian".[ Simon Bell, one of Springfield's session singers, disputed the twin personality description: "It's very easy to decide there are two people, Mary and Dusty, but they were the one person. Dusty was most definitely Dusty right to the end."

In her early career, much of her odd behaviour was seen as more or less in fun, described as a "wicked" sense of humour, including her food fights and hurling crockery down stairs. Springfield had a great love for animals, particularly cats, and became an advocate for animal protection groups. She enjoyed reading maps and would intentionally get lost to navigate her way out.[13] In the 1970s and early 1980s, Springfield's alcoholism and drug addiction affected her musical career. She was hospitalised several times for self-harm by cutting herself, and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

Springfield was never reported to be in a heterosexual relationship and this meant that the issue of her sexual orientation was raised frequently during her life. From mid-1966 to the early 1970s Springfield lived in a domestic partnership with fellow singer Norma Tanega. In September 1970, Springfield told Ray Connolly of the Evening Standard:

Many other people say I'm bent, and I've heard it so many times that I've almost learned to accept it ... I know I'm perfectly as capable of being swayed by a girl as by a boy. More and more people feel that way and I don't see why I shouldn't.

By the standards of 1970, that was a bold statement. Three years later, she explained to Chris Van Ness of the Los Angeles Free Press:

I mean, people say that I'm gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay. I'm not anything. I'm just ... People are people ... I basically want to be straight ... I go from men to women; I don't give a shit. The catchphrase is: I can't love a man. Now, that's my hang-up. To love, to go to bed, fantastic; but to love a man is my prime ambition ... They frighten me.

In the 1970s and 1980s, Springfield became involved in several romantic relationships with women in Canada and the US that were not kept secret from the gay and lesbian community. From late 1972 to 1978, Springfield had an "off and on" domestic relationship with Faye Harris, a US photojournalist. In 1981 she had a six-month love affair with singer-musician Carole Pope of the rock band Rough Trade. During periods of psychological and professional instability, Springfield's involvement in some intimate relationships, influenced by addiction, resulted in episodes of personal injury.

In 1982 Springfield met an American actress Teda Bracci at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting; the pair moved in together in April 1983, and seven months later, they exchanged vows at a wedding ceremony which was not legally recognised under California law.[148] The pair had a "tempestuous" relationship which led to an altercation with both Springfield and Bracci hospitalised; Springfield had been smashed in the mouth by Bracci wielding a saucepan and had teeth knocked out, requiring plastic surgery. The pair had separated within two years.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: May 13, 2019, 06:26:12 PM »

Might as well throw Diana Dors into the mix then.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 13, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »

Lordy. Not even gonna look that one up right now, I'll be here all night, & I've got work to do. And Marky will be on my case about getting my Diary back up if I mess about here any longer. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 14, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »

Lordy. Not even gonna look that one up right now, I'll be here all night, & I've got work to do. And Marky will be on my case about getting my Diary back up if I mess about here any longer.  

Lets add Sandie Shaw to the mix, although she is still with us. I last saw her in the news getting an MBE from Prince Charles in 2018 and responsible for creating one of my favourite TOTP moments ever. I'd have given my savings all £15.00 of them for Johnny Marrs necklace.

https://youtu.be/MDIp20Xki50
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:30:53 PM by Supernova » Logged

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 15, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »

Lets add Sandie Shaw to the mix, although she is still with us. I last saw her in the news getting an MBE from Prince Charles in 2018 and responsible for creating one of my favourite TOTP moments ever. I'd have given my savings all £15.00 of them for Johnny Marrs necklace.

Nah, Sandie Shaw is way too young.

Wiki tells me she got an MBE for "service to music".

Huh?

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 15, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »

Huh?

She did win Eurovision

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: May 15, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »

Huh?

She did win Eurovision

Meh! So did Lena.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 15, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »

I don't know what that means of if it's me you're talking about but I love Dusty.  Grin When me and Joo cook on a Saturday night Dusty's greatest hits is the most played CD.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: May 15, 2019, 11:17:21 PM »

I don't know what that means of if it's me you're talking about but I love Dusty.  Grin When me and Joo cook on a Saturday night Dusty's greatest hits is the most played CD.

itt = in the thread.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 16, 2019, 12:45:17 PM »

itt = in the thread.

You young uns and you itt shizzle.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 17, 2019, 01:17:29 PM »

rip grumpy cat

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/17/grumpy-cat-dies-seven-internet-meme-gif
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: May 21, 2019, 06:38:13 AM »

BBC News - Niki Lauda, Austrian Formula 1 legend, dies at 70
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48345660

An incredible life.

RIP.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 21, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »

An incredible life.

RIP.

RIP, he was a real legend

Cry

Ah! The element of surprise
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 21, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »

An incredible life.

RIP.

RIP, he was a real legend

Cry

Amazing courage to come back into the sport that nearly killed him.

Also the punchline to a very old joke involving Joan Collins having some plastic surgery.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 ... 81 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: