blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  They are dropping like flies at the moment
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 ... 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: They are dropping like flies at the moment  (Read 207487 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 06, 2022, 05:51:29 PM »

Mimi Harper from Low has died.  She was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago, and had very recently been suffering with Covid.

She was my age and pretty sure they were the last band I saw.   

I googled her and nothing came up except a mini mouth organ and some handbags, so I googled 'Band Low' but my voice recognition changed it to 'Banned Low' I tried again and this time it changed it to 'Band Lol'.

Anyway, this is who I think you mean.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/nov/06/low-drummer-and-vocalist-mimi-parker-has-died

RIP.

ah typo ffs, one of my neighbours is called Harper. I was a bit overwhelmed by the news, the Queen dying meant very little to me.  Most of the non family deaths that get to me are musicians. 

The band are unlikely to survive this, glad I eventually got to see them.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: November 06, 2022, 07:27:30 PM »

Had a listen on Youtube. Very good.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 07, 2022, 06:22:54 PM »

Bit mellower than I would normally listen to but watched a few live performances and easy to see the quality and why someone would get into them - never ceases to amaze me

a) how many bands I've never heard of (even from a time when I was listening to lots of new music)
b) how so many bands just plough on in their own lane making non main stream interesting/great music

When I approached my 60th I decided to get back into going to gigs. Something I spent so much of my youth doing but had gotten out of the habit.. just seemed to be too many other commitments. Just saw Ride at the weekend for the second time this year, so good for the soul and feelings of aliveness to indulge and do these things again

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: November 07, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »

I don't think I've ever been to a gig. I've seen "Turns" down 't club etc, but I'm not sure that counts.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 07, 2022, 10:23:19 PM »

Bit mellower than I would normally listen to but watched a few live performances and easy to see the quality and why someone would get into them - never ceases to amaze me

a) how many bands I've never heard of (even from a time when I was listening to lots of new music)
b) how so many bands just plough on in their own lane making non main stream interesting/great music

When I approached my 60th I decided to get back into going to gigs. Something I spent so much of my youth doing but had gotten out of the habit.. just seemed to be too many other commitments. Just saw Ride at the weekend for the second time this year, so good for the soul and feelings of aliveness to indulge and do these things again

Yeah, entirely different vibe to most bands I have seen.  Alan, her husband, was inviting everyone to her funeral earlier, can't see that happening with many bands that have been going that long.  Just stayed on the brink of fame throughout.

There are loads of bands I have missed over the last 20 years.  Frequently find myself hearing something fresh on 6 Music only to discover they have been going 10 years and are on their 5th album.

Did you get the latest Ride album? I heard it was good and meant to get it, but never got round to it.  I have a couple of the early ones.

Think you need to get to a gig sometime Tom.  Think gig crowds are a lot different than when I was younger, with a lot of older folks going.  Dare say it is different at k-pop gigs.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 08, 2022, 02:15:14 PM »

Yeah, entirely different vibe to most bands I have seen.  Alan, her husband, was inviting everyone to her funeral earlier, can't see that happening with many bands that have been going that long.  Just stayed on the brink of fame throughout.

There are loads of bands I have missed over the last 20 years.  Frequently find myself hearing something fresh on 6 Music only to discover they have been going 10 years and are on their 5th album.

Did you get the latest Ride album? I heard it was good and meant to get it, but never got round to it.  I have a couple of the early ones.

Think you need to get to a gig sometime Tom.  Think gig crowds are a lot different than when I was younger, with a lot of older folks going.  Dare say it is different at k-pop gigs.

I share that experience of discovering ‘established’ bands when they are well into their career. Growing up with The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, The Who, Cream, Led Zeppelin, proper musician Genesis and let’s not forget Pink Floyd it was so easy to just ignore the stuff that followed. Although I did have a spell of getting into Northern Soul in my teens.

Gigs don’t attract me much these days, mostly because a weekend at Glastonbury offers so much more than the experience of paying large amounts of money just to see one band. Last live gig was Elbow at Jodrell Bank, but that was totally outside.

I see a lot of smaller venue comedy acts which probably occupies the time that could have been spent on music. Wouldn’t go to an arena comedy if you offered to pay me to be there though.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 08, 2022, 02:16:36 PM »

Terry Thomas gone today.

DING-DONG!

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 08, 2022, 03:03:07 PM »

Leslie Philips passed today 98

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 08, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »

Terry Thomas gone today.

DING-DONG!
Leslie Philips passed today 98

Ironside corrects my error…

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 08, 2022, 05:29:35 PM »

Only listen to spotify now so have heard a lot of their most recent stuff after being stimulated to go back and play albums made since the first 2. These gigs were perfect for perfect for me though, basically a 30th anniversary celebration of the early albums. A complete reprise of Nowhere a couple of months ago and at the weekend, the whole of Going Blank Again with newer stuff and crowd faves as the encore.

I don't know if its common or not but very few artists with longevity where I went beyond the first 2 or 3 albums - Stranglers the most pleasing exception to this (saw them this year too and the newest album stands up pretty , pretty well.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 08, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »

I share that experience of discovering ‘established’ bands when they are well into their career. Growing up with The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, The Who, Cream, Led Zeppelin, proper musician Genesis and let’s not forget Pink Floyd it was so easy to just ignore the stuff that followed. Although I did have a spell of getting into Northern Soul in my teens.

Gigs don’t attract me much these days, mostly because a weekend at Glastonbury offers so much more than the experience of paying large amounts of money just to see one band. Last live gig was Elbow at Jodrell Bank, but that was totally outside.

I see a lot of smaller venue comedy acts which probably occupies the time that could have been spent on music. Wouldn’t go to an arena comedy if you offered to pay me to be there though.

Despite always being slightly tempted because I've watched some great performances from there, I really can't imagine anything much worse than actually attending Glastonbury.

Anyway, back to death - apols for the derail

sola virtus nobilitat
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1016 on: November 09, 2022, 09:03:39 AM »

Former Nazareth front man gone   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_McCafferty  also Arthur from Eastenders

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 09, 2022, 04:02:34 PM »

Former Nazareth front man gone   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_McCafferty  also Arthur from Eastenders

RIP Dan McCafferty one of the most recognisable voices in rock. Saw Nazareth in the 70's supporting Deep Purple. Totally transformed Joni Mitchell's This Flight Tonight so much so that she often gave them credit when she sang it live herself.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 09, 2022, 08:05:20 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 10, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »

Great pic. RIP Garry Roberts of the Boomtown Rats.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 ... 81 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: