blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:46:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Biggest upsets in sporting history?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biggest upsets in sporting history?  (Read 3677 times)
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »

Been thinking about this tonight.  And in my lifetime, as shocks go (irrespective of betting price) i think it probably is.  Greece winning the euros, Wimbledon beating Liverpool and buster Douglas beating tyson are the closest i can think of. 

I think Wimbledon beating Liverpool as a one-off event, although a massive upset at the time, has to be considered in the wider context to realise just how massive it was. At the time it was a top-flight team beating a better top-flight team, but 11 years previously Wimbledon were a non-league team - I would think the real odds on a non-league team, at the time of no automatic promotion, to get promoted to the league, all the way to the top flight, and then win the FA Cup, in 11 years, would have been far higher than 5000/1!

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »

What about Notts Forest 77-78? 

They won the then first division and league cup just after getting promotion.  They had to compete with a Liverpool side in their pomp, who had just won the European Cup and the league title 3 years running (and they did the year after).  Forest then went on to win the European Cup the season after.  No idea what the odds to win the league quoted were at the start of the season, but the real odds can't have been far away.  To then win the two cups on top, must have been a more unlikely series of events than Leicester only winning the league.

Leicester City haven't even caused the biggest ever sporting shock produced by a football team from the Midlands!

Well done though, great achievement. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »

they have because the football landscape is so different. no huge european sides to beat back then (malmo and hamburg in the finals?), much more level playing field domestically.

clough could buy the best goalkeeper (shilton), right back (viv), strikers (francis for a huge back then £1m, woodcock)in the country etc with little competition and fantastically beat liverpol to the title, but there wasn't much other competition

certainly not competition with wage bills  5x yours...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:23:33 AM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 01:39:49 PM »

Montpellier won the French league a few years ago with a squad budget of about £30m. This was when PSG and Monaco were first splashing the cash and the league was somewhat competitive. Think they were 80/1 to win the league. This is the closest I can think of in recent times and it doesn't come close to what Leicester have done.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »

Premier League's Richard Scudamore tells BBC that LCFC

"biggest sports story ever and the biggest sporting achievement ever."

surely the first part of that is wrong, probably the second part too.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 03:07:25 PM »

Did I read somewhere that while you could get 5000/1 on Leics winning PL, they would only lay you 4000/1 that the Pope got picked for Rangers?!

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »

It's not close to the Leicester achievement, but the most exciting sporting upset I've watched by far was Japan beating South Africa in the Rugby world cup last time round. That moment where they were given a draw and didn't take it was incredible to witness.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »

Pretty sure that before 'that Mark Robbins goal' you could have got 5,000/1 on SAF leading Manchester United to 13 League titles.

But that's nit-picking.

Leicester's achievement this season will go down in history as The Biggest Upset Ever.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: