blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The world cup
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The world cup  (Read 55354 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 10:11:32 PM »

Might see some knockout action in Vegas, and not just at the UFC.

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 10:22:09 PM »

Seems like a wasted effort to rig a draw for an easy group when you're the worst team in the whole tournament.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 05:05:31 PM »

bump

England squad announcement

other squads

the tournament, betting on it, etc etc

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »

"Manchester City ace Fabian Delph set for shock England World Cup 2018 call-up but Arsenal's Jack Wilshere is snubbed" says the Mirror

not sure Delph is a shock (played much of the season for the champions,positional flexibility) ot Wilshere is a snub (hasn't played uch, to a great standard,often injured)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 05:08:05 PM »

Hart also excluded, which is consistent with previous pronouncements on form and club selection

My eyes are open wide
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »

Very very good from Southgate so far

Hart if he isn't your number one which he really cant be should not go to be a number three. Personally would like to see a very young keeper like Walton at Brighton, Gunn at Norwich (Man City) or Woodman at Aberdeen (Newcastle). The number three is at least 50/1 to play any part in any game unless used when already out when it wont matter anyway.

Lookman would be my wild card over Sancho but would not be adverse to taking both, again the fringe players unlikely to play,but both very confident both in very good form and I like the fact they have refused to sit and collect the money in the best league in the world on the bench and gone and proven themselves if they needed to in a very good league.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 06:32:55 PM »

"Manchester City ace Fabian Delph set for shock England World Cup 2018 call-up but Arsenal's Jack Wilshere is snubbed" says the Mirror

not sure Delph is a shock (played much of the season for the champions,positional flexibility) ot Wilshere is a snub (hasn't played uch, to a great standard,often injured)

Jack's had an okay season for Arsenal this season with 38 appearances and has been virtually injury-free, certainly compared to previous years.

He's had some very good games but has been a little inconsistent - he offers a certain creativity which not too many English midfielders do.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the squad.

<edit>
It looks as though he's already received the dreaded call of shame from GS.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:46:25 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
kp24

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »

Jack's had an okay season for Arsenal this season with 38 appearances and has been virtually injury-free, certainly compared to previous years.

He's had some very good games but has been a little inconsistent - he offers a certain creativity which not too many English midfielders do.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the squad.

<edit>
It looks as though he's already received the dreaded call of shame from GS.

Because we are so woefully short in midfield I’d have taken a punt on jack but I can understand why you wouldn’t take him with his injury record,I thought he’d take Hart for experience but glad he’s going to take Pope well deserved
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »

Apparently Livermore is going to be in over Wiltshire shelvey etc...

Which is silly to me. But he's also 1/2 to be called up still

toddswain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »

Absolutely ridiculous Shelvey isn’t going (going off reports/odds)

dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »

Newcastle fans seem to love Shelvey whilst no one else really does, would like to know from those who watch him most often why he should go.

As far as I can tell he'd play as part of the double-pivot in a 4-2-3-1 or as a DCM/CM in a 3-5-2. He's lax defensively - as detailed vs B'Mouth away this season - has just three assists this season and one goal. I realise his game is about more than that, but he doesn't have that much end product, just 0.1 expected assists p90 and 0.09 xGp90.

The biggest reason that I wouldn't take him though is I think he wastes a space in the squad that can be better filled. He realistically isn't going to start and I can't imagine a scenario when we'd need him off the bench. He's not going to be an impact substitute and Delph/Livermore/Jones would probably be ahead of him if we were looking to protect a lead.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 09:44:27 PM »

I think Lascelles, very under-rated, is more deserving. unlikely to go as Jones/Cahill/Smalling/the old guard (pick any two) go ahead of him alongside stones/maguire and maybe tarkowski

Shelvey isn't going to track back and win the ball when we lose possession and we don't play to his strengths (range of passing) going forward

also have to consider what he'd be like as a non playing squad member. not the most clubbable of characters i gather

My eyes are open wide
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2018, 10:07:16 PM »

Agree re: Lascelles being more unfortunate to miss out. He seems to be a terrific man marker. I haven’t seen enough of him to know how comfortable he is on the ball, but his pass completion % in the PL this season is just 77% so perhaps that counts against him. That % is lower than anyone who is likely to be in the squad and even Smalling has 88% completion and he’s the fall guy on this metric.

If England set up with a back three then perhaps also his ability to defend in wide areas counts against him? Walker, Jones, Maguire all have experience as fullbacks. Losing Gomez to injury is potentially a bigger blow than it looks for Southgate’s ability to set up in the recently favoured 3-5-2.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 06:08:06 AM »

I'd either take shelvey and play him or not take him at all. As others have said not sure him being 4th choice is anygood for anyone.

The importance of the essentially non playing players can't be underestimated. Been reading some good stuff about how Brazil 94 squad players were based more on mental abilities rhan footballing ones. Which makes sense.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: