blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The world cup
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The world cup  (Read 55361 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: July 12, 2018, 02:54:02 PM »

Dolazi kući, dolazi domaći nogomet koji dolazi kući

The older I get, the better I was.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 12, 2018, 09:53:51 PM »

Amazing that I feel so negative about England, especially when compared to 1990 feeling such pride.

My memories of our performance would be...

Don't know who we beat that was a surprise or heroic.

Southgate good at interviews and staying calm. But seemed to have taken a squad of 11 players. Didn't use subs or rotation to any impact. Struggled to change anything from players to tactics in game. Liked the conducting the crowd moment.

Player highlights were slabhead, trippier and pickford (although think he has tourettes of the body in possession)

Henderson the crab, everything backwards/sideways (really think Jonjo Shelvey was needed against Colombia, but not part of Southgate's young guns)

Sorry but Kane overrated, tried so hard to love him. When it mattered on the world stage failed to deliver. Lineker/Shearer put those golden chances to bed.

Missing drive/creativity in midfield, huge void in central areas, how I miss Gazza. Dele did absolutely nothing and can't imagine why Loftus doesn't get more game time.

Lack of huge England fan attendance disappointing.

Expected trouble but overall the Russia world cup looked mint.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2018, 11:07:50 PM »

Amazing that I feel so negative about England, especially when compared to 1990 feeling such pride.

My memories of our performance would be...

Don't know who we beat that was a surprise or heroic.

Southgate good at interviews and staying calm. But seemed to have taken a squad of 11 players. Didn't use subs or rotation to any impact. Struggled to change anything from players to tactics in game. Liked the conducting the crowd moment.

Player highlights were slabhead, trippier and pickford (although think he has tourettes of the body in possession)

Henderson the crab, everything backwards/sideways (really think Jonjo Shelvey was needed against Colombia, but not part of Southgate's young guns)

Sorry but Kane overrated, tried so hard to love him. When it mattered on the world stage failed to deliver. Lineker/Shearer put those golden chances to bed.

Missing drive/creativity in midfield, huge void in central areas, how I miss Gazza. Dele did absolutely nothing and can't imagine why Loftus doesn't get more game time.

Lack of huge England fan attendance disappointing.

Expected trouble but overall the Russia world cup looked mint.

Agree with everything  except Shevey. Lallana would have been my pick but splitting hairs with that.

Not a patch on 1990 team , had all the luck in terms of the draw , never ever have better opportunity with
an average team . Walker never a centre half. A natural centre half like a Terry Bruce Butcher would have gone to the ball
To clear it rather than stand and wait like a Sunday morning amateur to head the ball away.

At top level you cannot play players out of position .
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 13, 2018, 12:21:48 AM »

Slab'ead was definitely a highlight. And he's stuck with that name for good!

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 13, 2018, 12:27:48 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/10/england-excited-nervous-world-cup-semi-final-croatia-moscow

Nor did Southgate seem in the slightest bit uptight as he told a story, with more of that self‑deprecating humour, about what he makes of superstitions in football. “I’ll tell you a story about me and superstitions. When I was managing Middlesbrough we had a game at Reading and I was under a bit of pressure. I’d forgotten my socks so I went to the kit man and I borrowed a pair of black goalkeeping socks. When we won the staff made this big thing about my ‘lucky socks’, saying I had to wear them next game. I thought: ‘Hmm, shall I wear those socks? No, it’s ridiculous.’ Well, we lost the next game. Then, on the Tuesday, we were playing again and I thought: ‘Well, I’d better put the socks on’ and we won 2-0.”

Brilliant! So did he still wear these lucky socks? Southgate had not finished his story. “Then I went upstairs and got sacked. So really, from that moment, superstitions have rather gone out the window.” Classic Gareth.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 13, 2018, 12:53:44 AM »

An average team who are very good at set pieces that made the most of a kind draw.

This. Basically an expensive-to-follow, less-disciplined international version of Burnley.

Are Croatia the worst team ever to make a WC final?

It hasn't been a high quality world cup so sure, why not. They made it!
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 13, 2018, 12:55:40 AM »

my team of the tournament

---------------Lloris-------------
------Varane Maguire Godin------
Trippier----------------------Laxalt
------------Kante Modric-------------
------Hazard Lukaku Mbappe------

Basically this except Lukaku. Classic Lukaku here, beat up on Panama and Tunisia but disappeared against good teams. Was anonymous against France.

I don't really think there was a better striker? I liked Dyzuba because I'm a sucker for a big man up top though....
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 13, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »

Bit of a watershed day for me tomorrow, regards Southgate.

As discussed earlier, he has hardly shown much in the way of optimal changes so far, and I am hoping that he does make some alterations to the starting line up.

Failure to do so will tell me he is a bit one dimensional in his thinking.

Here's hoping......

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 13, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »

There was a discussion about backing England for the World Cup at 25/1 on TfT about 18 months ago and as far as I remember, the majority of people were dead against it.  Since then, England have swept away the dead wood, play a more modern style of football, given lots of young players a chance and gone out in the Semis of the World Cup.   There has been a lot of obvious improvements in that time, so I don't get some of the negativity.   Some players are going to underperform at times, some things aren't going to work out.  Surely we should just be optimistic and not making decisions based on Saturday's fairly meaningless game?

Come on Adz, lets look forward to the Euros and Sterling/Kane combo tearing the French old farts apart. Wink

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 13, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »

There was a discussion about backing England for the World Cup at 25/1 on TfT about 18 months ago and as far as I remember, the majority of people were dead against it.  Since then, England have swept away the dead wood, play a more modern style of football, given lots of young players a chance and gone out in the Semis of the World Cup.   There has been a lot of obvious improvements in that time, so I don't get some of the negativity.   Some players are going to underperform at times, some things aren't going to work out.  Surely we should just be optimistic and not making decisions based on Saturday's fairly meaningless game?

Come on Adz, lets look forward to the Euros and Sterling/Kane combo tearing the French old farts apart. Wink

I'm fairly positive about the long term, but mainly because of the players we have in the squad.

My fear is that Southgate will work on the theory "keep the country happy, keep my job longer", and he may perceive that to be stoically picking the same team time after time, regardless. As I say a minor concern and always had my feet on the ground where our National Team is concerned.

Realistically I see Belgium and France both winning based on what I saw, but very happy to be proved wrong on both counts.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Sciss0rhands

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 14, 2018, 11:41:16 AM »

Promising performance imo from a young team. I’m hoping for a goal feast vs Belgium.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 14, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »

I do not see anything in Loftus Cheek that others obviously do

No work rate some nice easy passes lacks a killer one not for me.

Be interesting to see if he plays much under the new boss who does like to use younger players
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:43:10 PM by horseplayer » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 14, 2018, 03:52:07 PM »

I do not see anything in Loftus Cheek that others obviously do

No work rate some nice easy passes lacks a killer one not for me.

Be interesting to see if he plays much under the new boss who does like to use younger players

Do you think Sarri should be giving RLC and Mount a full season in behind Higuain (assuming the Morata swap happens), especially if Hazard goes to La Liga?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 14, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »

Rich - do you think Drinkwater could play the Henderson role in Southgate’s current formation or does he need to play in a two?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 14, 2018, 04:12:47 PM »

Rich - do you think Drinkwater could play the Henderson role in Southgate’s current formation or does he need to play in a two?

In a two. Not quite got the range to play the sole holding midfielder.

the old Leicester joke of course, we play three in midfield, Drinkwater and Kante either side. Funny, but had a ring of truth to it

I am not sure English football has the ideal single holding midfielder yet, or someone with the range of passing to connect back to front.

Henderson has to keep it simple (or else), Dier really a converted CB, Drinkwater no.

who might develop into a role to provide "range" is a key question

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: