blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:19:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ryder Cup thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryder Cup thread  (Read 18743 times)
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »

Someone was clearly pissed last night and had done his dough on something.

Not at all i just don't see what all the fuss is about with the event at all.  It is incredible in the 21st century they still parade the wifes/wags and shows maybe how out of touch golf is as a sport and the decline in its popularity.

One of the greatest sporting events of the year for me but then I play golf and enjoy watching it, I guess you don’t do either ?

I agree that it doesn’t mean much to some of the Yanks, but not too many, if any Europeans feel that way. Surely playing for your country transcends money ? When you have enough money, and surely Tiger and Phil have enough, there has to be something else surely ?
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »

Not at all i just don't see what all the fuss is about with the event at all.  It is incredible in the 21st century they still parade the wifes/wags and shows maybe how out of touch golf is as a sport and the decline in its popularity.

Agree with you about the parading of the WAGs obviously.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »

One of the greatest sporting events of the year for me but then I play golf and enjoy watching it, I guess you don’t do either ?

I agree that it doesn’t mean much to some of the Yanks, but not too many, if any Europeans feel that way. Surely playing for your country transcends money ? When you have enough money, and surely Tiger and Phil have enough, there has to be something else surely ?

I dont buy that Tiger doesn't care about it.

in the run up to it all we heard about was how often he was calling Jim F and how keen he was to play in it.

He sulked when he was losing and everytime he forced a little comeback he was fist pumping the air and giving it the usual welly, unitl he lost a few holes then the walk slowed down again and back to sulking.

I am sure the toll of the previous few weeks had a bearing, but the plain fact is he aint no good at the format. It happens, I am shit with a medal card in my hand but a demon at matchplay(only a few rungs below Tiger obvs....).

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2018, 05:50:46 PM »

Agree with you about the parading of the WAGs obviously.

Cringeworthy, wasn't it?

Bet those ladies LOVED having to all dress identically, too......

It's a throwback to a previous age, but these days it is an awful gaffe imo.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »

This was better, but this was 1949.....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »

Then, things started to go wrong.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2018, 05:55:56 PM »

Not too bad in '85 at The Belfry.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »

Back to the chaps now, also in '85, how many of these can you name?

And exactly where (what hole) was this photo taken? Very famous hole at the time, & I clearly recall playing it shortly after & getting down in 13.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:59:56 PM by tikay » Logged

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »

Kind of sad how the WAGs have got more attractive as the money in golf has increased.   Would be good to see a few more that broke the mould. It all feels very outdated displaying them at all. 

I love the ryder cup, but dare say golfers are all different on trophies vs cash.  Justin Rose seemed really stoked with his Olympic Gold, but so many others didn't want to play on both sides of the pond.   

How many millions can you need?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »

Kind of sad how the WAGs have got more attractive as the money in golf has increased.   Would be good to see a few more that broke the mould. It all feels very outdated displaying them at all.  

I love the ryder cup, but dare say golfers are all different on trophies vs cash.  Justin Rose seemed really stoked with his Olympic Gold, but so many others didn't want to play on both sides of the pond.  

How many millions can you need?

I noticed that too, I guess "trophy wives or girlfriends" were not a thing back then.

As to the players, none of them are obliged to play the Ryder Cup, but I think they genuinely want to, it's a big notch on their CV, and my read is that they love it.

If someone strong-minded with attitude did not want to play it - Reed, say - pretty sure they'd turn it down and revel in the attention that gave them.

I don't particularly enjoy it, all the hype and hoopla is a bit ott for me, and I don't like to see the galleries behaving so oafishly, but I reckon most golf fans love it, so good luck to them. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:38:06 PM by tikay » Logged

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2018, 07:41:44 PM »

Back to the chaps now, also in '85, how many of these can you name?

And exactly where (what hole) was this photo taken? Very famous hole at the time, & I clearly recall playing it shortly after & getting down in 13.

That would be the 10th at The Belfry I think?

I was at the 1993 match for the Saturday and stood at the dogleg for that hole. Crouching in front of us as her husband came down the fairway was Mrs Woosnam. Some American fans applauded a bad European shot and she gave them a mild telling off in a wonderfully lyrical welsh accent.

The WAGs will know each other and to me it seems that their being ‘uniformed’ builds on the team ethos.

Can’t defend the whole introduction of them and ceremonial stuff though.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2018, 07:42:54 PM »

1985 is the Belfry. From memory Europe's first win since57

Lanny Wadkins
Calvin peete
Ray Floyd
Curtis strange
Tom kite
Andy north
Craig stadler
Fuzzy zoeller
Mark o'meara

Trevino the captain

That's 10 out of 13

I can try most of the European site

Seve
Faldo
Lyle
Clark
Ken brown
Canizares
Pinero
Torrance
Woosnam
Paul way

Jacklin

Missing 2, frustrating, staple sport trivia quiz memory stuff

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »

Yup, 10th at The Belfry.

I played it a while later, as a guest of IG Index, as I was a "valued Client", in the same sense that Marky is a valued client of any sports book. Pretty expensive round, to tell the truth....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »

1985 is the Belfry. From memory Europe's first win since57

Lanny Wadkins
Calvin peete
Ray Floyd
Curtis strange
Tom kite
Andy north
Craig stadler
Fuzzy zoeller
Mark o'meara

Trevino the captain

That's 10 out of 13

I can try most of the European site

Seve
Faldo
Lyle
Clark
Ken brown
Canizares
Pinero
Torrance
Woosnam
Paul way

Jacklin

Missing 2, frustrating, staple sport trivia quiz memory stuff

Good effort Tighty.

From Team USA, you missed Hal Sutton, Peter Jacobsen and Hubert Green I believe.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2018, 08:26:26 PM »

I don't play golf (and never have) but i enjoy watching the Masters etc but i am not a fan of watching team versions of individual sports.  The laver cup in tennis last weekend was on sky and it was just as big a joke to me as the ryder cup is and i am a big tennis fan.  Same as several attempts to have team poker formats on tv.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: