blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Danny Baker
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Danny Baker  (Read 17130 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »

fck him he should have been sacked again for saying the bbc "literally threw me under the bus"

Haha fair play.

The older I get, the better I was.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2019, 05:45:50 PM »

Simple snowflakery as per

Sure thing Nirvantz I've heard black folk referenced to monkeys for years too but I don't get it. Why are black folk like monkeys? Before I can take offence I need to understand the validity of that concept.

Don't people use the term to brand black people as a sub species of human.

In their eyes, they should be seen as animals. Apes are a good comparison as you can look at them and think they are human but not like us really. Disease ridden and savage. They don't respect laws, monsters.

I don’t think there’s any validity in that theory

Me neither.

Unfortunately there are millions of people who do think like that. Sadly, I have extended family members who I know have those opinions, and have known people in work and leisure who think the same way. It is often voiced after a drink. Fwiw it sounds like DB was a genuine mistake.

All that might be a reason why if a black man looks at a picture of a black child portrayed as a monkey they may be entitled to take offence. Intent or not.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2019, 07:15:49 PM »

No mention of skin colour so frenzied luvvies infer context to quench an insatiable appetite for offence-taking and twitter train takes over.

National companies like BBC now make business strategy decisions based on Twitter feeds. Modern times I'm afraid.

Sure thing Nirvantz I've heard black folk referenced to monkeys for years too but I don't get it. Why are black folk like monkeys? Before I can take offence I need to understand the validity of that concept.

I also heard that blonde girls were stupid. Don't get that either. Why does the colour of your hair make a person more or less intelligent.

Need to appreciate the validity of such matters before I faint in shock when mentioned in passing by boozy radio presenters.  

To you, Doobs, RedDog and the other members of your extreme right wing grouping I say, would the tweet have been offensive if it was authored by Tommy Robinson or Britain First - would we engage in laughable 'I don't recognise racism as legitimate so it's not racism'  - yer all literally mad

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »

No mention of skin colour so frenzied luvvies infer context to quench an insatiable appetite for offence-taking and twitter train takes over.

National companies like BBC now make business strategy decisions based on Twitter feeds. Modern times I'm afraid.

I also heard that blonde girls were stupid. Don't get that either. Why does the colour of your hair make a person more or less intelligent.

Need to appreciate the validity of such matters before I faint in shock when mentioned in passing by boozy radio presenters.  

To you, Doobs, RedDog and the other members of your extreme right wing grouping I say, would the tweet have been offensive if it was authored by Tommy Robinson or Britain First - would we engage in laughable 'I don't recognise racism as legitimate so it's not racism'  - yer all literally mad

Scuse me, I emphasised previous form as a material consideration.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2019, 07:30:29 PM »

Why isn't it the people who assume that the child is being portrayed as a monkey because one of its parents is dark skinned that are racist? Why else would they jump to that conclusion?

Dont be a dolt. In my case it's because I've heard black people equated to monkeys, heard monkey chants at football, seen gags about going back to the trees/jungle for over 50 years so if a black baby is welcomed with a picture of a monkey it's transparently racist, inadvertent or not. Noticing manifestations of racism. Eg lynchings, portrayal as sub human or animals is not racism.

I almost always agree with you Glen, but not this time, and I'll tell you why.

Almost no one, me included, even sees Markle as black.

Baker doesn't have a track record.

I see myself as a 'Stand up to Racism' type of person but when I saw the pic I didn't make a racist connection, I just thought it was mildly amusing.

I think that jumping on every little supposed infraction will set the fight racism cause back, not forward. there are plenty of honest to God real examples to go around without having to guess or 'interpret'.

I don't wildly go in for the witch hunts when someone, older gen perhaps, uses the wrong terminology about a subject and makes mild infractions on today's social norms.

Also, I'm spending a fair bit of time thinking about terms like mixed-race and their relevance today since it really doesn't make any difference to many of us whether someone is black, white, brown or mixed race.

However, I'm just about concluding that while we can all make the argument that we don't see a difference, or that we're all members of the human race etc, that there is something disempowering , diesenfranchising, disinheriting or dismissive (dis something anyway) when we don't acknowledge differences within the wider group of the human race.

In a way you're a good example, you are a human like me, but you have a very distinctive difference in being a Gypsy as well. I would take care not to say to you 'I don't even see you as being a Gypsy' as I think, only think mind, that it implies something quite negative about the general group you identify with,. ie I imply that, because in many ways, you're at least as normal or fairly similar to me, I don't see you as belonging to that group over there. But you do, in the same way as Meghan is black, whether you see her as that or not. I wonder if she would think it OK/ mildly funny if brought to her attention.

Minor points I guess, but I don't see anything amusing per se in the pic and I don't know what Danny Baker was thinking, so I can only judge what he posted - and what he posted was the kind of thing that would be seen clearly as racist and pernicious if posted by some other people.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »

Scuse me, I emphasised previous form as a material consideration.

Overruled

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »

Why isn't it the people who assume that the child is being portrayed as a monkey because one of its parents is dark skinned that are racist? Why else would they jump to that conclusion?

Dont be a dolt. In my case it's because I've heard black people equated to monkeys, heard monkey chants at football, seen gags about going back to the trees/jungle for over 50 years so if a black baby is welcomed with a picture of a monkey it's transparently racist, inadvertent or not. Noticing manifestations of racism. Eg lynchings, portrayal as sub human or animals is not racism.

I almost always agree with you Glen, but not this time, and I'll tell you why.

Almost no one, me included, even sees Markle as black.

Baker doesn't have a track record.

I see myself as a 'Stand up to Racism' type of person but when I saw the pic I didn't make a racist connection, I just thought it was mildly amusing.

I think that jumping on every little supposed infraction will set the fight racism cause back, not forward. there are plenty of honest to God real examples to go around without having to guess or 'interpret'.

I don't wildly go in for the witch hunts when someone, older gen perhaps, uses the wrong terminology about a subject and makes mild infractions on today's social norms.

Also, I'm spending a fair bit of time thinking about terms like mixed-race and their relevance today since it really doesn't make any difference to many of us whether someone is black, white, brown or mixed race.

However, I'm just about concluding that while we can all make the argument that we don't see a difference, or that we're all members of the human race etc, that there is something disempowering , diesenfranchising, disinheriting or dismissive (dis something anyway) when we don't acknowledge differences within the wider group of the human race.

In a way you're a good example, you are a human like me, but you have a very distinctive difference in being a Gypsy as well. I would take care not to say to you 'I don't even see you as being a Gypsy' as I think, only think mind, that it implies something quite negative about the general group you identify with,. ie I imply that, because in many ways, you're at least as normal or fairly similar to me, I don't see you as belonging to that group over there. But you do, in the same way as Meghan is black, whether you see her as that or not. I wonder if she would think it OK/ mildly funny if brought to her attention.

Minor points I guess, but I don't see anything amusing per se in the pic and I don't know what Danny Baker was thinking, so I can only judge what he posted - and what he posted was the kind of thing that would be seen clearly as racist and pernicious if posted by some other people.

I agree with you Glen, they are minor points.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »

Do we really think there are millions of people who think black people are sub-human species in 2019? For sure it's an extremist view point, not a majority mindset and it's funny. How can it not be funny for people to think that? If it was a growing monster in society then perhaps there's a danger but it's vaporising in the modern world and particularly in multicultural Britain. People have every right to be offended if they wish but I have the right to laugh at a vanishing dinosaur minority who express such beliefs. In fact laughing at them, making them feel small and inconsequential seems the most appropriate reaction. Don't think laughing at extreme right wing views makes one extreme right wing tbf.

The moment offence is shown then it is no longer a joke worthy of our triviality, it has some measure of credibility. Pretty sure vast swathes of majority modern human race can dust off monkey waffles with the frivolity that such utterances deserve. The zomg reaction to sack somebody for posting a monkey in bowler hat and applying such extremist views to the decision making process seems way more sinister and dark.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2019, 08:16:14 PM »

Nobody in that group has said "I don't recognise racism as legitimate", so why would you think it was ok to suggest we had?

Don't you judge someone over the entirety of the things you know about them, not one tweet.   So if Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins or Britain First post another anti Muslim post, you should recognise it is unlikely to have been a one-off brain fade.  

You can also conclude that it may not have been a slip by the way that Tommy doubles down and doesn't say sorry it was a mistake when someone says "Hold on Tommy, that sounded a bit racist".  

I haven't seen a whole host of other racist statements Danny Baker has made, and if they were many, presumably the Sun would have dug them up by now.  So, for now, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »

Do we really think there are millions of people who think black people are sub-human species in 2019? For sure it's an extremist view point, not a majority mindset and it's funny. How can it not be funny for people to think that? If it was a growing monster in society then perhaps there's a danger but it's vaporising in the modern world and particularly in multicultural Britain. People have every right to be offended if they wish but I have the right to laugh at a vanishing dinosaur minority who express such beliefs. In fact laughing at them, making them feel small and inconsequential seems the most appropriate reaction. Don't think laughing at extreme right wing views makes one extreme right wing tbf.

The moment offence is shown then it is no longer a joke worthy of our triviality, it has some measure of credibility. Pretty sure vast swathes of majority modern human race can dust off monkey waffles with the frivolity that such utterances deserve. The zomg reaction to sack somebody for posting a monkey in bowler hat and applying such extremist views to the decision making process seems way more sinister and dark.

For the record, this is where my shared views with Mantis on this subject part company. I don't think there is anything amusing about racist beliefs and I don't believe that laughing at them is the best reaction.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2019, 08:26:49 PM »

Nobody in that group has said "I don't recognise racism as legitimate", so why would you think it was ok to suggest we had?

Don't you judge someone over the entirety of the things you know about them, not one tweet.   So if Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins or Britain First post another anti Muslim post, you should recognise it is unlikely to have been a one-off brain fade.  

You can also conclude that it may not have been a slip by the way that Tommy doubles down and doesn't say sorry it was a mistake when someone says "Hold on Tommy, that sounded a bit racist".  

I haven't seen a whole host of other racist statements Danny Baker has made, and if they were many, presumably the Sun would have dug them up by now.  So, for now, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  

I don't actually have any massive disagreement with any of you and y'all make good points.

Nevertheless, the content of the tweet was racist imo and it seems legit to call it out as such rather than spend time imagining motivation and making allowances based on past experience.

For sure first offenders get treated more leniently than criminals but they often get punished, sacking someone like him who will survive just finely, seems appropriate punishment to me for a first offence - also send on self awareness training so he can learn to not use monkey references around black people as it's generally considered poor form these days.

sola virtus nobilitat
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »

For the record, this is where my shared views with Mantis on this subject part company. I don't think there is anything amusing about racist beliefs and I don't believe that laughing at them is the best reaction.

Better still, if I was a premier league football star earning £100k a week at the top of my profession and winning at life I would laugh hard if a jobbing plumber with twisted hate face threw a banana at me. Would be great if the whole crowd joined me in laughing at him too. Imagine the scenes.

But for sure if you wanted to get very serious and cross you are perfectly entitled to that view.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2019, 10:01:59 PM »

Yea black people, why don't you just lighten up a bit and have a good laugh at it all. We are only messing about, we don't mean anything by it really. Dunno what your all getting so worked up about, racism barely exists anymore anyways.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2019, 10:24:02 PM »

He's clearly not a racist.

We don't allow for intent, and we don't assume good faith.

It's really damaging. A magazine editor on twitter today admitted they don't use black models for splashes next to stories as the accusations of racist stereotyping are inevitable.

They gave the examples of mental health articles or even articles on strong women. It's just not worth the hassle when previous good character and lack of intent or actual racism isn't as important as how people feel when mobbing you.

I think baker has been treated disgustingly

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2019, 10:31:12 PM »

I’d forgot the princess was black(sure hope I’m not offending anyone by saying that) and was wondering why people were upset

Same with me.  Took me ages to click why everyone was upset!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: