blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Danny Baker
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Danny Baker  (Read 16899 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »

has just been fired from 5live for a fairly disastrous faux pas. 

So sad, it was my favourite show on there.

From the Jon Ronson book

It feels like they want an apology, but it’s a lie.”

Mike Daisey and I were sitting in a Brooklyn restaurant. He was a big man and he frequently dabbed the perspiration from his face with a handkerchief that was always within his reach.

“It’s a lie because they don’t want an apology,” he said. “An apology is supposed to be a communion – a coming together. For someone to make an apology someone has to be listening. They listen and you speak and there’s an exchange. That’s why we have a thing about accepting apologies. There’s a power exchange that happens. But they don’t want an apology.” He looked at me. “What they want is my destruction. What they want is for me to die. They will never say this because it’s too histrionic. But they never want to hear from me again for the rest of my life, and while they’re never hearing from me they have the right to use me as a cultural reference point whenever it services their ends. That’s how it would work out best for them. They would like me to never speak again.”

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »

Meanwhile on question time tonight...

Click to see full-size image.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 10:58:54 AM »

From the Jon Ronson book

Mike Daisey and I were sitting in a Brooklyn restaurant. He was a big man and he frequently dabbed the perspiration from his face with a handkerchief that was always within his reach.

“It’s a lie because they don’t want an apology,” he said. “An apology is supposed to be a communion – a coming together. For someone to make an apology someone has to be listening. They listen and you speak and there’s an exchange. That’s why we have a thing about accepting apologies. There’s a power exchange that happens. But they don’t want an apology.” He looked at me. “What they want is my destruction. What they want is for me to die. They will never say this because it’s too histrionic. But they never want to hear from me again for the rest of my life, and while they’re never hearing from me they have the right to use me as a cultural reference point whenever it services their ends. That’s how it would work out best for them. They would like me to never speak again.”

Sorry Doobs, I'm missing the point. What did Baker say and what does the book quote have to do with it?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »

Blimey, never realised he had been fired.

I happened to be perusing Twitter last night whilst watching the football, & saw the whole Danny Baker thing as it happened. He got absolutely villified, it was brutal, real car crash stuff. He deleted it & apologised fairly quickly, but once it's out there.....

I honestly don't think he is racist, or intended it in a racist manner.

Gotta be SO careful what you put on Twitter if you are a celeb.

I rather like his stuff on the wireless & TV, & enjoyed reading his books, so perhaps I want him to be innocent.

He has a Podcast with Gary Lineker, & a "Live" Theatre Show which tours I believe. Wonder if those will be affected?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 11:07:28 AM »

From the Jon Ronson book

Sorry Doobs, I'm missing the point. What did Baker say and what does the book quote have to do with it?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:07:35 AM »

From the Jon Ronson book

He posted a picture of two well dressed people with a chimp in a suit saying with the caption "Royal baby leaves hospital".  

The mob then descended, he apologised saying he didn't mean it THAT way, and has been sacked.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:08:29 AM »

He claimed the "gag" was about "class & demeanour". 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:10:12 AM »

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 11:13:35 AM »

His twitter is still pretty good

Here we go.
Opened door, grinning Mail hack.
"Do you think black people look like monkeys?"
Any other time you'd knock someone right on their arse for saying that.
No mate. Gag pic. Posh baby chimp. Alerted to circs. Appalled. Deleted. Apologised. 
He asks again!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 11:14:15 AM »

He's not having a good morning......

Now Sky at the door
Would have used same stupid pic for any other Royal birth or Boris Johnson kid or even one of my own. It's a funny image. (Though not of course in that context.) Enormous mistake, for sure. Grotesque.
Anyway, here's to ya Archie, Sorry mate.
#Occam #Razor

Here we go.
Opened door, grinning Mail hack.
"Do you think black people look like monkeys?"
Any other time you'd knock someone right on their arse for saying that.
No mate. Gag pic. Posh baby chimp. Alerted to circs. Appalled. Deleted. Apologised.  
He asks again! #MailonRacism

Just got fired from @bbc5live.
For the record - it was red sauce. Always.

The call to fire me from @bbc5live was a masterclass of pompous faux-gravity. Took a tone that said I actually meant that ridiculous tweet and the BBC must uphold blah blah blah. Literally threw me under the bus. Could hear the suits knees knocking. #Fuckem

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 11:18:50 AM »

One of those things where his intent is irrelevant really. Shame though

sola virtus nobilitat
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »

One of those things where his intent is irrelevant really. Shame though

That's about it, yes.

And he'll forever be branded "racist" now.

I don't think he is racist, but it was certainly a bit of a faux-paux.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:26:28 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »

It's on BBC News now......

Danny Baker fired by BBC over royal baby chimp tweet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »

Amazed he didn't resign on the spot once he had sobered up and realised what he had done.  Must be incredibly arrogant in 2019 to think he wasn't 1.01 to get the tin tack from the bbc for that.  That would have been a sacking offense in 1999 never mind 2019.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 11:50:27 AM »

Ah the old classic, sorry but it's your fault if you felt offended with your silly diseased mind.

I don't understand what the joke is if there is no racial connotation? Class and demeanour makes no sense.

Good riddance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: