blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Tv Licenses for the over 75s
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tv Licenses for the over 75s  (Read 6221 times)
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 07:28:09 PM »

The cynical among us will reckon the BBC making this announcement during the Tory leadership campaign is no coincidence. Personally I think the licence fee is outdated , must be a better way to fund BBC?

This.

How?

Please don’t suggest advertising.

Why?

The common argument against is that we'll end up with TV like the US - but why should we end up with US level of advertising rather than Channel 4 level of advertising? (for example).

I've also accessed the BBC website in the US, where it contains advertising - it really wasn't that bad.

The alternative is a subscription based model - that would result in a lot smaller viewership and the channel would have to be cut back accordingly - a few years ago I would have argued strongly for the retention of government funding of the BBC because it was exceptional; but now it's pretty much just another major network. If it's going to act like a commercial broadcaster it probably should be treated as such.

In effect the BBC is already a subscription based service. It is funded by the licence fee plus any commercial income from selling programmes overseas. It doesn’t get government subsidies, other than the now discontinued, cost of free TV licences for the over 75s.

On the original point, this concession was first introduced in 1999 when the over 75s would all have lived through some of the toughest decades this country has ever faced. By all means phase out the scheme, maybe by saying that the only people who qualify were those born before 1930.
The post-war generations have enjoyed so many other advantages that dishing out free tv licences as a lifetime’s worth of 75th birthday present seems unnecessary.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:40 PM »

My 76 year old mum sent me a fb post to share moaning about the license costs. She is fortunate, not rich in terms of savings or owning her own house but she gets in excess of a net £2k per month in pensions (my dad was a servicemen, 22 years +, war pensions, invalided out of the RAF). I respectfully declined to share it although I do feel bad she'll have to carry on paying the license fee as she has successfully managed to do for the last 10 years or so since she retired.

sola virtus nobilitat
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 07:01:50 AM »

The cynical among us will reckon the BBC making this announcement during the Tory leadership campaign is no coincidence. Personally I think the licence fee is outdated , must be a better way to fund BBC?

This.

How?

Why?

The common argument against is that we'll end up with TV like the US - but why should we end up with US level of advertising rather than Channel 4 level of advertising? (for example).

I've also accessed the BBC website in the US, where it contains advertising - it really wasn't that bad.

The alternative is a subscription based model - that would result in a lot smaller viewership and the channel would have to be cut back accordingly - a few years ago I would have argued strongly for the retention of government funding of the BBC because it was exceptional; but now it's pretty much just another major network. If it's going to act like a commercial broadcaster it probably should be treated as such.

In effect the BBC is already a subscription based service. It is funded by the licence fee plus any commercial income from selling programmes overseas. It doesn’t get government subsidies, other than the now discontinued, cost of free TV licences for the over 75s.

On the original point, this concession was first introduced in 1999 when the over 75s would all have lived through some of the toughest decades this country has ever faced. By all means phase out the scheme, maybe by saying that the only people who qualify were those born before 1930.
The post-war generations have enjoyed so many other advantages that dishing out free tv licences as a lifetime’s worth of 75th birthday present seems unnecessary.

In effect a subscription service?  People write some odd things on the internet but this is right up there.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 07:31:06 AM »

My 76 year old mum sent me a fb post to share moaning about the license costs. She is fortunate, not rich in terms of savings or owning her own house but she gets in excess of a net £2k per month in pensions (my dad was a servicemen, 22 years +, war pensions, invalided out of the RAF). I respectfully declined to share it although I do feel bad she'll have to carry on paying the license fee as she has successfully managed to do for the last 10 years or so since she retired.

She must have had you at an extraordinarily young age.....

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 09:07:58 AM »

This.

How?

Why?

In effect a subscription service?  People write some odd things on the internet but this is right up there.

What part of this is odd?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »

She must have had you at an extraordinarily young age.....

Haha. Pretty young

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: