blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:32:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 358997 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: May 04, 2020, 07:11:51 PM »

Cheers guys thanks for listening i appreciate it.   She had a lovely blessed life with her husband of 70 years until grandad died last year and her close family.  She was very well looked after in her late years thanks to my mum and her carers.   She never had to leave her house which is what she always wanted.  She adored her house and garden.   She had dementia at 92 so didn't have too long left but it's never easy losing an adorable gran.  She was known as the queen of her little village and everyone loved her.   She moved into her house with grandad in 1971 when they wanted to escape the steel works and Corby which brought them to England after the war.  They were very prudent with their money having been through the war and worked so hard for everything they had like most people from their generation.

It was a brand new estate then and they were the first people to move into the new estate in the village.  Grandad often told me about the time he signed up for the house without Gran knowing as a surprise and he couldn't believe he signed up for a £3k mortgage when he was on £18 a week wages at the steelworks at the time.  At the time i had £3k in cash in my wallet and jokingly offered him it for the house.   She died as the last survivor of the originals from the estate and i joked with her next door neighbour today when i told him the bad news that he now has the title of the longest resident in the estate as he moved in the year i was born in 1975.   Most people could only dream of the 40 year retirement she had.  It's sad but it was her time to go.  RIP gran.

She only caught the virus because she was forced to enter hospital after a minor fall and infection at home and caught it then.   Isolating really is the key as tough as it seems.  The older you get the more likely you are to have to go into hospital though and then you massively increase your chances of getting it.   That's why hospital numbers outside of covid are slumping because no one, quite rightly, wants to go anywhere near a hospital at the minute.   Just makes the work the heroes do who work there day in day out even more brave.   They are risking their life every day to earn nowhere near enough to look after our families.  

Sounds like a good life and I'm sure sharing some of this is as good for you as for us reading it - a life worth celebrating

It really is Glen.  They earnt it and worked hard for it but that doesn't mean luck will be on your side and allow you to enjoy such an amazing retirement.  Joking aside i always said to grandad 'i am glad i don't have to pay your pension'.  It is nice to share it because most of their friends died decades ago (or in the war for grandad whilst serving the country).  My grandad reminds me of captain Tom.   I have tried to tell my mum today how lucky we were to have a family that lived so long given what they went through in their early lives.  It was proper tough back then like nothing any of us will ever know.  People moaning about the 'new' world now because of the virus need to realise if the world has changed then they still have a much easier life than they think they have.

I get really sick of people in middle England moaning about how tough their life is when in reality its all first world problems compared to the reality of what some of the old folk in the world faced in their life.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: May 04, 2020, 07:12:29 PM »

Sorry for your loss, arb

That's a lovely testimonial that you wrote for her.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: May 04, 2020, 07:12:46 PM »

Sorry for your loss Arb.

Thanks Dung you always have been a gent in all our dealings.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: May 04, 2020, 07:13:15 PM »

Sorry about your Granny mate x

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: May 04, 2020, 07:17:43 PM »

Sorry about your Granny mate x

Cheers big man.  A fellow scot.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: May 04, 2020, 07:23:59 PM »

Sorry for your loss, arb

That's a lovely testimonial that you wrote for her.

Thanks 4k.   Its just an honest summary of what a lovely retirement she had and everyone dreams of having i suppose.  You take it for granted when you see your grandparents having it that everyone does when most don't. 
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: May 04, 2020, 07:31:13 PM »

Cheers guys thanks for listening i appreciate it.   She had a lovely blessed life with her husband of 70 years until grandad died last year and her close family.  She was very well looked after in her late years thanks to my mum and her carers.   She never had to leave her house which is what she always wanted.  She adored her house and garden.   She had dementia at 92 so didn't have too long left but it's never easy losing an adorable gran.  She was known as the queen of her little village and everyone loved her.   She moved into her house with grandad in 1971 when they wanted to escape the steel works and Corby which brought them to England after the war.  They were very prudent with their money having been through the war and worked so hard for everything they had like most people from their generation.

It was a brand new estate then and they were the first people to move into the new estate in the village.  Grandad often told me about the time he signed up for the house without Gran knowing as a surprise and he couldn't believe he signed up for a £3k mortgage when he was on £18 a week wages at the steelworks at the time.  At the time i had £3k in cash in my wallet and jokingly offered him it for the house.   She died as the last survivor of the originals from the estate and i joked with her next door neighbour today when i told him the bad news that he now has the title of the longest resident in the estate as he moved in the year i was born in 1975.   Most people could only dream of the 40 year retirement she had.  It's sad but it was her time to go.  RIP gran.

She only caught the virus because she was forced to enter hospital after a minor fall and infection at home and caught it then.   Isolating really is the key as tough as it seems.  The older you get the more likely you are to have to go into hospital though and then you massively increase your chances of getting it.   That's why hospital numbers outside of covid are slumping because no one, quite rightly, wants to go anywhere near a hospital at the minute.   Just makes the work the heroes do who work there day in day out even more brave.   They are risking their life every day to earn nowhere near enough to look after our families.  

Sounds like a good life and I'm sure sharing some of this is as good for you as for us reading it - a life worth celebrating

It really is Glen.  They earnt it and worked hard for it but that doesn't mean luck will be on your side and allow you to enjoy such an amazing retirement.  Joking aside i always said to grandad 'i am glad i don't have to pay your pension'.  It is nice to share it because most of their friends died decades ago (or in the war for grandad whilst serving the country).  My grandad reminds me of captain Tom.   I have tried to tell my mum today how lucky we were to have a family that lived so long given what they went through in their early lives.  It was proper tough back then like nothing any of us will ever know.  People moaning about the 'new' world now because of the virus need to realise if the world has changed then they still have a much easier life than they think they have.

I get really sick of people in middle England moaning about how tough their life is when in reality its all first world problems compared to the reality of what some of the old folk in the world faced in their life.

I won't keep quoting in case this gets too long but you're spot on. It's not often I feel the need, but I try to remind myself of how cushy life is being a salary man, working in an office etc and easy to contrast that with my Grandparents and parents lives which were way tougher on a number of counts. Quite an achievement buying a house before the Thatcher years when everyone became so switched on to home ownership

sola virtus nobilitat
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: May 04, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »

Absolutely gutted for you Arb. Great stories.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: May 04, 2020, 07:38:39 PM »

It really is Glen.  They earnt it and worked hard for it but that doesn't mean luck will be on your side and allow you to enjoy such an amazing retirement.  Joking aside i always said to grandad 'i am glad i don't have to pay your pension'.  It is nice to share it because most of their friends died decades ago (or in the war for grandad whilst serving the country).  My grandad reminds me of captain Tom.   I have tried to tell my mum today how lucky we were to have a family that lived so long given what they went through in their early lives.  It was proper tough back then like nothing any of us will ever know.  People moaning about the 'new' world now because of the virus need to realise if the world has changed then they still have a much easier life than they think they have.

I won't keep quoting in case this gets too long but you're spot on. It's not often I feel the need, but I try to remind myself of how cushy life is being a salary man, working in an office etc and easy to contrast that with my Grandparents and parents lives which were way tougher on a number of counts. Quite an achievement buying a house before the Thatcher years when everyone became so switched on to home ownership

I don'tt mind you quoting it.  Life is very easy for most folk nowadays.  I appreciate it's relative but even the poorest in society don't have it as tough as back then.   I suppose it was an achievement pre Maggie buying a house and i know what a big deal it was for him because he always refused to believe his house could possibly be worth several hundred grand when he paid £3k for it.  I know the £3k he paid for it was a bigger bet in his mind at the time than any bet i have ever had in my life.  It was just different back then.  Working men didn't own their own house in a posh village in the early 1970's.    I never thought about it like that.   They were savvy with the little dough they made and grandad worked unreal hard in a brutally tough job after serving in the 2nd WW it kind of makes you feel guilty clicking buttons for a living now earning way more than he ever did but without him and gran's sacrifice for the country and their family i wouldn't be where i am now and most people could say the same about their own families who work hard whatever job they do nowadays. 
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: May 04, 2020, 07:47:59 PM »

I'm sorry to hear the sad news about your nan, Mark.

I wish you and your family a long and healthy life.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: May 04, 2020, 08:02:59 PM »

Damn really sorry Arb. Loved hearing about her life from what you wrote and yeah I'll try

And keep my mum out of the hospital at all costs.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 04, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »

I'm sorry to hear the sad news about your nan, Mark.

I wish you and your family a long and healthy life.

Cheers Ralph.  Let's get back to Nottingham for the Derby later this year hopefully.  Not the best track for social distancing though.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 04, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »

Damn really sorry Arb. Loved hearing about her life from what you wrote and yeah I'll try

And keep my mum out of the hospital at all costs.

Cheers Berg do whatever it takes to keep them out of hospital if it is safe to do so. 
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: May 04, 2020, 08:52:14 PM »

It really is Glen.  They earnt it and worked hard for it but that doesn't mean luck will be on your side and allow you to enjoy such an amazing retirement.  Joking aside i always said to grandad 'i am glad i don't have to pay your pension'.  It is nice to share it because most of their friends died decades ago (or in the war for grandad whilst serving the country).  My grandad reminds me of captain Tom.   I have tried to tell my mum today how lucky we were to have a family that lived so long given what they went through in their early lives.  It was proper tough back then like nothing any of us will ever know.  People moaning about the 'new' world now because of the virus need to realise if the world has changed then they still have a much easier life than they think they have.

You are spot on Arb.

People like your gran are what made us a great country.

I can recognise the hardships they went through, the likes of which most people will never experience again.

My grandmother was very similar. A real grafter in tough circumstances. Her husband died at the end of WW2 and she was left bringing up 4 young kids with no help. No welfare state like we have today.

We are so lucky compared to their generation.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 04, 2020, 09:06:24 PM »

You are spot on Arb.

People like your gran are what made us a great country.

I can recognise the hardships they went through, the likes of which most people will never experience again.

My grandmother was very similar. A real grafter in tough circumstances. Her husband died at the end of WW2 and she was left bringing up 4 young kids with no help. No welfare state like we have today.

We are so lucky compared to their generation.

Correct.  I was very lucky to have both of them in my life until i was mid 40's.   That's why today is a celebration of her long life rather than any other thoughts.    They were all grafters in those days.  There wasn't another option.  Tony Blair hadn't turned up in this era to gift everyone a lifestyle they hadn't worked for.  We live in a dream world nowadays compared to what they went through but very few remember or understand this.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: