blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 354065 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 18, 2020, 11:52:55 PM »

Agree 100%

I'll be glad of a few days in Glas Vegas this summer, nevermind Las Vegas or anywhere else.

Might dip off to Antalya and get my gnashers sorted instead. Now it looks like we're going nowhere until much later in the year.

I’m not expecting any holidays this year now........if it happens it happens otherwise c’est la vie........
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 18, 2020, 11:53:58 PM »

Agree 100%

I'll be glad of a few days in Glas Vegas this summer, nevermind Las Vegas or anywhere else.

Might dip off to Antalya and get my gnashers sorted instead. Now it looks like we're going nowhere until much later in the year.

I’m not expecting any holidays this year now........if it happens it happens otherwise c’est la vie........

Exactly what I said to the old dear. If you get Xmas, lovely. Plan for 2021 and 3 weeks of Loose Women this June/July.

shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 18, 2020, 11:55:17 PM »

On a positive note, no Eurovision this year.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 19, 2020, 01:22:33 AM »

Reports coming in of London being under military lockdown by the weekend troops are already being deployed not sure how much truth in this

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: March 19, 2020, 01:39:34 AM »

Here in Dublin it's a bit of a ghost town. Offices that could have employees work from home all shut down on Friday. Pubs are closed, as are most restaurants. Schools have also all been shut for a week. This is all with us still only having 2 deaths.

Reports coming in of London being under military lockdown by the weekend troops are already being deployed not sure how much truth in this

Who is it that starts these stupid Whatsapp/Facebook stories? Surely by now everyone knows they are bullshit. We had the same thing in Ireland last week - 'the Army will be on the streets by the weekend' etc.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 19, 2020, 04:28:49 AM »

Isn’t isolation not to prevent us getting it
But to prevent being overrun with dead folk ?
It’s merely delaying it to a more manageable level
We are nearly all going to get the virus
Indeed some think that bad cough cold in December - January was it ?
It’s the old folk most at risk
My dad -85 and Denise’s mum same age are “ staying in “ though dad thinks going to the garden centre for plug plants  for something to do ,then going to the bank for a bit of cash n transferring money to pay his credit card by cheque don’t count
Denise's mum thinks walking to the local nisa is fine too as it wasn’t very busy
Sunday lunches at ours don’t count either
So it’s not easy convincing them the oldies to stay in
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 19, 2020, 06:36:29 AM »

All schools to shut on Friday, deaths near doubled in 2 days.

FML

Looks like my kids aren't going back.  At least the trampoline is getting used and I don't have to kick them out of bed at 7.30am.  I'd recommend leaving them there all day.  Maybe the missus too.

Can just about manage the kids, it's the fact my business is furniture for schools.

Fingers crossed they keep some staff in for deliveries and ordering but I think it's unlikely.

Already spoken to the bank. Good news is they expect to be shovelling money out the door to people, bad news is they aren't ready yet.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 19, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »

My dad -85 and Denise’s mum same age are “ staying in “ though dad thinks going to the garden centre for plug plants  for something to do ,then going to the bank for a bit of cash n transferring money to pay his credit card by cheque don’t count
Denise's mum thinks walking to the local nisa is fine too as it wasn’t very busy

I really hope you’re right about this tony. A lot of people had it, including me.
I work for an airline, and I’m expecting to hear whether I still have a job by the end of play tomorrow. The job is customer facing, and you wouldn’t believe the behaviour of some people over the last few days (passports in their mouths on the one hand, and dressed up in full hazmat suits on the other), but of course we’re all expected to show up for work unless we’re suffering symptoms. Since everybody’s worried about losing their job, we all keep showing up.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 19, 2020, 10:30:22 AM »

My dad -85 and Denise’s mum same age are “ staying in “ though dad thinks going to the garden centre for plug plants  for something to do ,then going to the bank for a bit of cash n transferring money to pay his credit card by cheque don’t count

I really hope you’re right about this tony. A lot of people had it, including me.
I work for an airline, and I’m expecting to hear whether I still have a job by the end of play tomorrow. The job is customer facing, and you wouldn’t believe the behaviour of some people over the last few days (passports in their mouths on the one hand, and dressed up in full hazmat suits on the other), but of course we’re all expected to show up for work unless we’re suffering symptoms. Since everybody’s worried about losing their job, we all keep showing up.

One of the guys at work has been wondering if him and his girlfriend both had it earlier in the year. They were both ridiculously ill and have said all the symptoms sound the same.

Let's hope it was and that there's already a few immune

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 19, 2020, 10:31:55 AM »

It's bullshit like this that gets people panicking.

Please just stop.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 19, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »

Everyone says "don't panic buy food" but it's getting really difficult to get even basics.

The earliest available slots for online supermarket shopping are 2 to 3 weeks away.

Habitually, I go to my local Tesco at 8am each morning & get when I need. This week the queue awaiting opening time at 8am has been round the block, & once inside the shelves are, quite literally, empty. Standing in a queue outside a supermarket every morning is not exactly good social-distancing either.

I've been fairly laid back about the whole thing, & as I live alone I'm used to self isolating, it's my normal lifestyle & I'm completely fine with it. The enormity of it all is dawning on me now & it's seriously scary. And that's before we start worrying about the economic Armageddon that is waiting in the wings.

And if you can manage a "heavy" read, here's a report by Imperial College which scares the life out of me. In the absence of MANTIS I need someone solid & sensible like The Evil Pie,  Dooobs, JonMW or Science Wife to poo poo it to make me feel better.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:46:13 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: March 19, 2020, 10:45:36 AM »

It's bullshit like this that gets people panicking.

Please just stop.

That seems like a fairly well balanced post to me Iron.

Matt is just panicking about people panicking  Tongue

Please continue.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »

I've just realised I described Evil Pie as "sensible".

That's how bad things are.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 19, 2020, 11:04:08 AM »

Everyone says "don't panic buy food" but it's getting really difficult to get even basics.

The earliest available slots for online supermarket shopping are 2 to 3 weeks away.

Habitually, I go to my local Tesco at 8am each morning & get when I need. This week the queue awaiting opening time at 8am has been round the block, & once inside the shelves are, quite literally, empty. Standing in a queue outside a supermarket every morning is not exactly good social-distancing either.

I've been fairly laid back about the whole thing, & as I live alone I'm used to self isolating, it's my normal lifestyle & I'm completely fine with it. The enormity of it all is dawning on me now & it's seriously scary. And that's before we start worrying about the economic Armageddon that is waiting in the wings.

And if you can manage a "heavy" read, here's a report by Imperial College which scares the life out of me. In the absence of MANTIS I need someone solid & sensible like The Evil Pie,  Dooobs, JonMW or Science Wife to poo poo it to make me feel better.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

I sm not going to poo poo that report.  It seems absolutely clear that the NHS would be overwhelmed if we carry on as before.   People need to change habits and change them now.  If everyone outside hospitals is meeting significantly less people then transmission will slow down.  

On Tesco, I am aiming to go once every 4 days or so as everyone has to eat.  I am hoping delivery slots will open but not counting on it. I assume the cupboards of the panic buyers will get full and they will just stop.  I have already told the kids they are going to have to get used to eating whatever is in the shop and cupboards.   They are getting victories (only white bread), and losses (only skimmed milk).  I am trying to give them stuff to do learning wise, and they seem keen enough.  Both schools are promising to send through stuff from next week, but the eldest is getting homework already.  

Meanwhile walking and running seems fine, so long as I don't go near others, but pretty much everything else that involves meeting people has gone.  Trying to increase my good mornings.

I don't know if you have noticed, but as the park had got quieter, you see more wildlife.  See the small positives.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 19, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »

If we allowed prices to rise without social media mobs shaming people we'd be a lot better off.

Somone is currently directing a hate mob at a corner shop for raising prices. Tenner for toilet roll. If you needed toilet roll that badly you're prepared to pay a tenner, you'd want someone to be charging a tenner in a world where anything less leads to empty shelves.

Let the prices float, and everyone has enough
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: