blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353751 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2020, 08:03:06 PM »

Makes some sense if Paris is where most of the cases are.

Been a while since I've been to Cheltenham, but most of it was outdoors when I did Grin

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2020, 08:04:20 PM »

All these actions while trains, planes, offices, cafes, restaurants etc etc are open just seem too stupid - is there another point I've missed ?

sola virtus nobilitat
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2020, 09:20:01 PM »

Imagine if it got so bad that they had to cancel the football season.

Imagine if Liverpool hadn't yet mathematically won the league should this happen.

Imagine if the only outcome is to declare the season null and void.

Imagine all the people in Liverpool going apeshit over that.

Imagine....

Best Bitter.
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2020, 10:14:33 PM »

All these actions while trains, planes, offices, cafes, restaurants etc etc are open just seem too stupid - is there another point I've missed ?

It’s much less disruption to call off a sporting event than to close the underground so they do that as a starting point.

Malaysia, Vietnam, Macau all showing no growth in Coronavirus cases.  They are places that “should” be but are warm temp so I take it as logical that covid 19 might well be neutralised by the spring/summer in Europe. Just about keeping the spread down until then.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:26:35 PM by SuperJez » Logged
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 29, 2020, 10:34:24 PM »

To be fair Boris knows how to change the headlines!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2020, 03:30:10 PM »

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-government-wont-rule-out-banning-large-gatherings-says-health-secretary-11946939

Given the way he's talking there, I'm more inclined to worry about Aintree. However, we don't know what will happen this week, obviously.

12 more today....Only 1 that's odd, though.

Someone in Essex they don't know how contracted. 3 who had been in contact with someone that had it. 6 just back from Italy, and 2 from Iran.

SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »

It appears very likely the virus is widespread to a much larger degree than reported in Washington

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1233970271318503426

"The team at the
@seattleflustudy
 have sequenced the genome the #COVID19 community case reported yesterday from Snohomish County, WA, and have posted the sequence publicly to http://gisaid.org. There are some enormous implications here.

This case, WA2, is on a branch in the evolutionary tree that descends directly from WA1, the first reported case in the USA sampled Jan 19, also from Snohomish County, viewable here

This strongly suggests that there has been cryptic transmission in Washington State for the past 6 weeks. 3/9"

The growth in the UK is now explosive and uncontrolled.   The comparison with the flu which I read in the Racing Post article is irresponsible and laughably wide of the mark Wuhan data linked earlier ITT disproves any death and hospitalization rate remotely similar to the flu.  less than 1 in 100,000 adults under 40 die of the flu, Coronavirus data has deaths in that group of 200 in 100,000.  An overall death rate of 4.3% and Hospitilisation of 17% is nasty and and potentially crippling for the NHS.

The good news is that growth in hot countries continues to be extremely slow.  Countries which had a lot of inbound from China and received early transmission.  Strong containment is also working.  I fully expect strong containment measures from the Cobra meeting tomorrow.  Keep the load on the NHS as low as possible until Summer arrives and we can get to a vaccine.  Allowing mass gatherings of people at this point is irresponsible and incompetent and I believe we will see similar measures to other counties here. 
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2020, 10:04:02 PM »

It appears very likely the virus is widespread to a much larger degree than reported in Washington

"The team at the
@seattleflustudy
 have sequenced the genome the #COVID19 community case reported yesterday from Snohomish County, WA, and have posted the sequence publicly to http://gisaid.org. There are some enormous implications here.

This case, WA2, is on a branch in the evolutionary tree that descends directly from WA1, the first reported case in the USA sampled Jan 19, also from Snohomish County, viewable here

This strongly suggests that there has been cryptic transmission in Washington State for the past 6 weeks. 3/9"

The growth in the UK is now explosive and uncontrolled.   The comparison with the flu which I read in the Racing Post article is irresponsible and laughably wide of the mark Wuhan data linked earlier ITT disproves any death and hospitalization rate remotely similar to the flu.  less than 1 in 100,000 adults under 40 die of the flu, Coronavirus data has deaths in that group of 200 in 100,000.  An overall death rate of 4.3% and Hospitilisation of 17% is nasty and and potentially crippling for the NHS.

The good news is that growth in hot countries continues to be extremely slow.  Countries which had a lot of inbound from China and received early transmission.  Strong containment is also working.  I fully expect strong containment measures from the Cobra meeting tomorrow.  Keep the load on the NHS as low as possible until Summer arrives and we can get to a vaccine.  Allowing mass gatherings of people at this point is irresponsible and incompetent and I believe we will see similar measures to other counties here. 

Try and be a little more dramatic if you can, Jez.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2020, 10:05:19 PM »

Those ones who have been picking up £450 worth of gear at a time are laughing last. Especially when we're all on house arrest until summer.

bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2020, 11:47:10 PM »

Numbers down in the side events at Unibet Open Dublin this year. Lots of locals stayed away and specifically said it was because of the virus. 1 case in Ireland I believe currently!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »

Might not have to play 10 handed at WSOP this summer.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2020, 07:47:23 AM »

"The team at the
@seattleflustudy

Try and be a little more dramatic if you can, Jez.

Obvs works for the Daily Mail

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2020, 08:17:19 AM »

Might not have to play 10 handed at WSOP this summer.

Might not be a WSOP this year  Cool
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2020, 09:24:18 AM »

Take all the precuations you like.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1233890663759958016

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2020, 09:25:26 AM »

I saw a letter in the Metro today, it said something along the lines of - to all the people who keep saying to not worry because it only has a fatality rate of 2%, in the town where I live that would mean 2000 people!

Reminder
if needed
Unless there's specifically a modifier like 'of the total population', then percentage needing hospital treatment or percentage fatality means percentage of those infected.

Given that the original Chinese province still has less than 1% infected that means that persons letter should be "20 people" rather than "2000 people".

I honestly don't know how obvious that is. From a maths background a percentage amount always carries the question 'Percentage of what?', but I thought it might be worth pointing out in case other people have the same issue that this letter writer has Smiley
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:28:31 AM by Jon MW » Logged

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: