blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353719 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »

I laid it to nick a grand when it got really short, so makes no odds to me, either.

3 cases of unknown origin, and 29 returning from holidays. Who are the other 2?

2 - Scotland
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:09:53 PM by Marky147 » Logged

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »

UK cases up 34 in a day to a total of 85.  That really is explosive growth like other countries with similar climates are experiencing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51741001?

I couldn't give a toss about if I personally get it or not, although I don't want to spread it to anyone...but the NHS is going to be crippled by this.

It's not about any stupid bet, the competent thing would be to try and slow the spread right now and get it to hotter temperatures with as low an amount of cases as we can.

Realistically its not possible though is it? What ever you do, it only takes one person to start it all off again?

There is something really strange about the numbers in China now, they seem to have it under control, yet the majority of areas are back at work.
Surely it only takes one person in one of those areas to start the chain reaction again?

What am I missing?

China completely shut down cities (you don't shut down cities and kill your economy for the flu).  That is what it took to get it under control there.  No way people in this country would stand for that.  Even still the spread can still be slowed with containment measures.  Large gatherings, schools, public transport whatever can be curtailed.   Even the fit and healthy catching it is a nightmare as they have to stay off work and they spread it around until they realise.  The more containment you do the slower it spreads.  China shows what can be done at the maximum level.  Italy is shutting down specific areas now also.  A lot can change if we create time, not only could summer give a respite but vaccines or treatments could be given time to arrive.

The problem is the hospitilsation rate of this thing.  China data said 17% hospitalised but they have a lot of smokers and dodgy numbers.  Even if it is only 10% hospital rates here we are absolutely crippled with any significant amount of cases.

The NHS have 5900 critical care beds for the entire country https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/nhs-hospital-bed-numbers.   The Guardian suggested yesterday if the police end up with lots off work sick they won't investigate even murders.

But most of China is now back at work so what is stopping it starting again?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2020, 03:15:50 PM »

The infected regions are still on lock down as far as I know (I dont know).   Hopefully I KNOW IT could say what it's like in his region now.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:17:42 PM by SuperJez » Logged
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »

The infected regions are still on lock down as far as I know (I dont know).   Hopefully I KNOW IT could say what it's like in his region now.

We buy a lot in China from various provinces and have our own plant there too. All our suppliers are back at work  and you need to be approved by the authorities to re-open. Not all are back with full work forces as a staggered return to work over a few weeks has generally been imposed

sola virtus nobilitat
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2020, 05:39:16 PM »

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/03/student-beaten-racist-saying-dont-want-coronavirus-country-12341106/

Lolcountry.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »

Braindead mugs.

HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »

I work in a school and Coronavirus preparations are well under way.

We have plans in place for remote teaching and we are fairly confident we will be closed at some point.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2020, 06:49:24 PM »

my favourite bit was that if he did have coronavirus you wouldn't really want to splatter his blood over you.  Not that much logic was part if this attack.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »

Chief Medical Officer  supposedly said this on Radio 4 -

Did not see much benefit in banning large gatherings such as footy  matches as...

"An infected person could infect a few people sat near them" 

"If people went to the pub instead to watch a match - then the risk of transmission and infection would be much higher in such a tightly-packed confined space"

As opposed to outside in the fresh air in a stadium.

Any fact-checkers corroborate or is the guy posting nonsense??

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2020, 08:16:14 PM »

Did not see much benefit in banning large gatherings such as footy  matches as...

"If people went to the pub instead to watch a match - then the risk of transmission and infection would be much higher in such a tightly-packed confined space"

No facts from me!

But my understanding is that the main way people are getting it is people touching contaminated surfaces and then touching their mouths eyes?

So what he is saying partly makes sense but then at a football match everyone is touching the seats, the bar and the door handles etc same as they would in a pub?

Unless they are cancelling everything I still cant see how it makes a big difference.

Roll on Tuesday!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2020, 08:21:49 PM »

No FACTS from me!

But my understanding is that the main way people are getting it is people touching contaminated surfaces and then touching their mouths eyes?

So what he is saying partly makes sense but then at a football match everyone is touching the seats, the bar and the door handles etc same as they would in a pub?

Unless they are cancelling everything I still cant see how it makes a big difference.

Roll on Tuesday!

FYP

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2020, 05:17:09 AM »

Chief Medical Officer  supposedly said this on Radio 4 -

Did not see much benefit in banning large gatherings such as footy  matches as...

I did read that quote a day or two ago also.  Came after the first Cobra meeting decided we are not at the stage to start bringing in restrictions yet.  Betfair marked surged yes shorter around that time.  

For those who love a good conspiracy theory...(gotta love a good conspiracy theory).  There is a research facility close to the Seafood market in Wuhan where the outbreak is alleged to have really started.

"as Botao Xiao of the South China University of Technology notes, the market was just 918 feet from a Wuhan level-4 biolab conducting experiments on bat coronavirus."

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/wuhan-seafood-market-ground-zero-coronavirus-outbreak-demolished

There are many reports and acknowledgements that Patient 0 of Covid 19 had nothing to do with the seafood market, although it did spread rapidly inside there.

"However, a study, by Chinese researchers published in the Lancet medical journal, claimed the first person to be diagnosed with Covid-19, was on 1 December 2019 (a lot of earlier) and that person had "no contact" with the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market"  

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200221-coronavirus-the-harmful-hunt-for-covid-19s-patient-zero

Patient 0 has also mysteriously vanished with no information about them to be found.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:25:52 AM by SuperJez » Logged
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2020, 06:02:27 AM »

Lol, now we are only allowed the infection data once a week, and no specifics about locations will be given.

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1235207174407802880

"As of today, due to the number of new cases, we will no longer be tweeting information on the location of each new case.

Instead, this information will be released centrally in a consolidated format online, once a week. We are working on this now and plan to share on Friday."
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2020, 10:37:51 AM »

Lol, now we are only allowed the infection data once a week, and no specifics about locations will be given.

"As of today, due to the number of new cases, we will no longer be tweeting information on the location of each new case.

Instead, this information will be released centrally in a consolidated format online, once a week. We are working on this now and plan to share on Friday."

Oh gawd, see all the replies from people pulling their kids from school.  They are going to keep them in a sealed bubble for 6 months?  I have some sympathy for those with underlying health conditions; but cranks and underlying health conditions are not a perfect fit on venn diagrams.

Giving people no inoformation is clearly going to lead to a whole bunch of nutters filling the gap.  The school facebook page was already full of people pushing crazy theories on each side (it is not correct to extrapolate from last week's low infection figures to assume that you have more chance of winning the lottery; 300 cases in Italy doesn't mean that every person who has been there is gong to have contracted Coronavirus and so on). 

FWIW The chinese lab theory has been pretty well debunked too.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »

Oh gawd, see all the replies from people pulling their kids from school.  They are going to keep them in a sealed bubble for 6 months?  I have some sympathy for those with underlying health conditions; but cranks and underlying health conditions are not a perfect fit on venn diagrams.

Giving people no inoformation is clearly going to lead to a whole bunch of nutters filling the gap.  The school facebook page was already full of people pushing crazy theories on each side (it is not correct to extrapolate from last week's low infection figures to assume that you have more chance of winning the lottery; 300 cases in Italy doesn't mean that every person who has been there is gong to have contracted Coronavirus and so on). 

FWIW The chinese lab theory has been pretty well debunked too.

Agreed, I am not even sure what the statement means exactly with regards to information.  It can be interpreted a number of ways.  Are we still going to get daily numbers just no location info?  But we will get location info on Fridays?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: