blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:07:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 356922 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2020, 11:21:02 AM »

The Chinese numbers make no sense at all to me. If they have almost completely got control of the situation it would be great to share the solution!

They have the ability to lock down cities or even bigger areas which we do not.

I was going to say - it's not really a surprise it it? Apart from trying to suppress it right at the start the Chinese have pretty much told us everything they've been doing.

I am sure it has some significant effect, but I struggle to believe some of the news.  This morning the only cases they reported outside Wuhan were imported from Iran.   A lot of the country has the right temperature to encourage spread and in a lot of areas people live in such close proximity to each other.  People are still treating thousands in hospital, there has been talk of equipment shortages, yet there are no locally transmitted cases outside Wuhan.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »

So my girlfriend still wants to book a trip for the month of April. Seems to be a bad idea at this point to me. Not from the perspective of getting the virus but more from borders being closed. Flights cancelled. Having to go in quarantine. Germans and British getting travel banned as happened in Vietnam and Israel. And just general possible disruption to the trip and stress.

What do people think? We have nothing booked at this point and no money invested.

At this stage i can see in a few weeks time a lot more restrictions for people from Germany and the UK both within the country and for non essential travel
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:35:47 AM by bergeroo » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »

So my girlfriend still wants to book a trip for the month of April. Seems to be a bad idea at this point to me. Not from the perspective of getting the virus but more from borders being closed. Flights cancelled. Having to go in quarantine. Germans and British getting travel banned as happened in Vietnam and Israel. And just general possible disruption to the trip and stress.

What do people think? We have nothing booked at this point and no money invested.

At this stage i can see in a few weeks time a lot more restrictions for people from Germany and the UK both within the country and for non essential travel

I assume this is International.  I'd just leave it for now.  There seems a more than reasonable chance you just burn money and cannot go.  If uou leave it a couple fo weeks and it does improve, there will still be lots of capacity, as I have heard of many people cancelling trips. 

My working assumption is it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  I'd love to believe the figures coming out of China and see a bit more hope.

If it is more local, try and get as much of it on rates where you can cancel.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2020, 12:13:59 PM »

Woodsey getting used to knocking out big five figures a day on the pension at the minute.   Better cash it in woodsey and get the remainer spent.  In happier news petrol will be sub £1 a litre at this rate soon
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:16:03 PM by arbboy » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2020, 12:17:23 PM »

Woodsey getting used to knocking out big five figures a day on the pension at the minute.   Better cash it in woodsey and get the remainer spent.  In happier news petrol will be sub £1 a litre at this rate soon

Cheesy

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2020, 04:52:22 PM »

Fk that actually thinking of doubling down if it keeps getting battered!
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1237058315940777984

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2020, 08:30:07 PM »

Who needs experts when we can get the view of TV personalities...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237027356314869761

FWIW Flu is way more serious than people realise too.

I am very much in the "this is likely to be really shit" camp.  I still reserve the right to snigger at those with trolleys full of bogroll and hand gel.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2020, 09:18:09 PM »

Who needs experts when we can get the view of TV personalities...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237027356314869761

FWIW Flu is way more serious than people realise too.

I am very much in the "this is likely to be really shit" camp.  I still reserve the right to snigger at those with trolleys full of bogroll and hand gel.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »

I think Jon MW mentioned the film Contagion from 2011 - amazing how similar it is to the current situ..fun watch

That's kind of why my wife's epidemiology lecturer recommended it for them - it's not that it's just similar to the current situation - what's happening now is basically what happens for every epidemic; it just doesn't normally happen on this wide a scale.

All of the things like travel restrictions and quarantines and closing down sporting events and schools happened with the SARs virus (for example) - but only in parts of Asia.

Which leads on to:

The Chinese numbers make no sense at all to me. If they have almost completely got control of the situation it would be great to share the solution!

They have the ability to lock down cities or even bigger areas which we do not.

I was going to say - it's not really a surprise it it? Apart from trying to suppress it right at the start the Chinese have pretty much told us everything they've been doing.

I am sure it has some significant effect, but I struggle to believe some of the news.  This morning the only cases they reported outside Wuhan were imported from Iran.   A lot of the country has the right temperature to encourage spread and in a lot of areas people live in such close proximity to each other.  People are still treating thousands in hospital, there has been talk of equipment shortages, yet there are no locally transmitted cases outside Wuhan. 

This is what happened to the SARs virus. It got spread by lots of people - control measures were put in place - it got spread by less people.

Eventually you reach a point where a lot of the population left just aren't susceptible to the virus and anybody who does get the virus is easily isolated and treated before they  have a chance to infect other people.

This virus is a lot more like seasonal flu then it is like SARs - that is why it's become such a big deal; but the epidemiology of it is likely to be pretty similar.

Long term: the best case scenario is that this control suppresses it as much as possible until a vaccine is found then it's going to be largely wiped out; worst case scenario is probably that the control measures will get the epidemic under control but no vaccine will be found so there will be periodic outbreaks in the future.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »

spare a thought for the workers at Andrex who will likely find themselves on 12 months unpaid leave after the summer as people stop buying toilet roll and use up the stuff they have been panic buying this week.

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2020, 08:37:41 PM »

Would be funny normally.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 11, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »

Blimey ch4 news reporting 196 deaths in one day in Italy.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2020, 07:07:04 PM »

NBA game on the West Coast tonight behind closed doors.  First one i think in USA.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/28884486/warriors-play-home-games-fans-following-san-francisco-order
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2020, 07:33:35 PM »

NBA game on the West Coast tonight behind closed doors.  First one i think in USA.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/28884486/warriors-play-home-games-fans-following-san-francisco-order

Did you see that Getafe are refusing to travel to Milan tomorrow? 

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: