blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 300 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353804 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4425 on: August 10, 2021, 11:56:48 PM »

https://twitter.com/BernieSpofforth/status/1424729956039397377

U.K. Protestors gathering outside the BBC, angry with the tone of reporting and the BBC pushing the agenda of vaccine passports.

https://twitter.com/GillianMcKeith/status/1424731585241300993

Protest getting very heated at bbc studios white city, London  against the jabs for children..

So what are they protesting about?  and where?

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1424744371551973380

Anti-vaxxers protest BBC coverage of pandemic by storming a building in White City. A building the BBC vacated in 2013 and is now luxury flats. Is there a link between stupidity and anti-vax? Opinions vary but evidence is growing

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: August 11, 2021, 02:42:41 AM »

So braindead, and epitomise the exact sheep that they label everyone else.

Most of the country back to living a normal life, and they're just bowling around like morons causing aggro.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: August 11, 2021, 02:30:19 PM »

I feel kind of lucky that I'm already over 30. Must be sickening with all the restrictions if you've just turned 18. The adventures will have to wait

I had plenty of restrictions until/when I was 18, and even more when I joined the Navy just before my 19th birthday Cheesy

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: August 12, 2021, 11:02:37 AM »

Well lots of good news this week.

Cases continued to fall all last week with an average drop of 30% a week.  There is some evidence that the rate of decrease may be flattening out a bit.  They are now down at about 20,000 a day, and hopefully cases will continue to drop further from here.  Flattening before the end of August isn't great, as the schools are likely to make it worse. 

Hospitalisations are where the good news is, and it is really good news.  I thought we'd get a peak in mid August at over 1000 cases a day, but that seems to be pessimistic now.  As the end of July approached we got a handful of days of over 900 admissions, but they seem to have started falling already. 

Deaths are still increasing by 30% a week, but given hospitalisations seem to have peaked, then hopefully deaths will peak soon too.

So good news all round, and long may it continue.

Best not mention the vaccination rate, as that may spoil the theme of the post.

Finally, OMG

https://twitter.com/liberty_places

16 places ffrom 150K upwards, what could go wrong?  Think even Ivor would be too embarassed to sell property in Zanzibar for UK prices.

https://www.facebook.com/libertyplaces

those of you who have tracked Dr Yeadon for the last 18 months would know he would never put his name to anything dodgy.

snigger.

Solid Covid avoidance strat to move to a country where few people are vaccinated and hospitals are thin on the ground.  Life expectancy is only 57 there, so presumably if Yeadon dies of Covid there it will have prolonged his life?  Think that is the logic they use.  Of course this assumes that it isn't just a con... 

Going to just do a brief update as I am busy.

Mixed bag this week. 

Cases are levelling off at between 20k and 30k a day.  It is a bit disappointing, and I hoped we'd go lower, and the next move looks more likely to be higher rather than lower.

Hospitalisations have dropped by about 15% on the week, but there are signs that decrease rate is slowing.

Deaths are still rising, albeit slowly.  They increased about 10 to 15% on the week.

As Marky said the other day, most are now livng life in a similar way to before now; I am still wearing a mask in crowded indoor spaces, trying to avoid getting too close to randoms, and work is going to be different from before.  Any restrictions on my freedom seems to be my own choice now.  I am not planning on storming any luxury flats any time soon. 

I guess if we stick at around 500 deaths a week (or 25k a year) in the UK then that isn't as bad as it once looked.  Given we aren't going to stop the spread of Covid anytime soon, then that may well be as good as we can hope for.  FWIW Because Covid still spreads after double vaccination (best guess is about 50% lower transmission) then herd immunity isn't likely to happen any time soon either.       

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: August 12, 2021, 06:32:36 PM »

Yeah, think they'll get boosters into the vulnerable mob like me, and then hopefully this will just replace the flu, rathern than be prevalent alongside.

Given how people have changed their habits, along with hygiene etc. You'd hope flu might well be all but a goner.

That will get the smiley brigade going, even if it has been debunked more times than I've over-ordered from the local Thai place Cheesy

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: August 18, 2021, 11:10:02 PM »

Not doing an update this week.  I don't think much has changed, just got a bit worse across the board.   

Twitter seems to have made it harder for non joiners to read, which is probably a good way of avoiding rabbit holes.

Anyway bucket list item completed yesterday.  Drove the Bealach Na Ba.  I don't think it was the best idea to do it mid afternoon during the school holidays, with cloud covering the top, armed with an electric handbrake and 2 excitable kids in the back.  I genuinely saw two Tesco vans going the other way which seems barking to me, and all campervan drivers can just do one.   Much preferred the coast route on the way back; had more than its share of blind corners and hills, but was significantly less hectic with traffic, so you could take in all the wonderful views.  And who knew that 100 miles of single track roads was so bloody tiring?  Did 250 miles total driving yesterday and it felt like I had run a marathon.  I strongly suspect 150 of those miles had nothing to do with it. 

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: August 19, 2021, 06:54:19 PM »

Haha, can't say I'd be up to that, driving or not.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: August 19, 2021, 08:58:25 PM »

Haha, can't say I'd be up to that, driving or not.

I think it would be fine without other cars, you just need to concentrate more as it is so narrow. It would be pretty easy in a small hatchback.  I have seen videos on YouTube where they meet 3 cars on the entire crossing.   We were meeting 3 at a time.  The ones coming down are supposed to give priority to those going up, but it didn't happen in the worse places, so you are stuck on the edge of the road (literally) on a 15 degree slope waiting for a campervan to edge past closely followed by his entourage of cars.  Going down is pretty easy by comparison, which makes me wonder why so many people behave like arseholes after the going up experience.

Would definitely recommend near sunset or sunrise if you must do it in August.  Would definitely go back without the kids and do that whole stretch of coast, the views are absolutely amazing.  Applecross over to Skye and Raasay and the mountains coming off the coast road were particularly wonderful.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:07:47 PM by Doobs » Logged

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: August 20, 2021, 01:14:37 AM »

Think the bravest I'll get this side of Xmas is driving to Leeds Cheesy

I'd definiely want a small motor if you were doing roads like those, for sure. I'd probably want to pull over for a nap if you have to concentrate that hard!

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: August 25, 2021, 11:51:30 PM »

Will do a quick update this week after my trip to Covid central up in Scotland (we were right up in the Highlands, so probably just drove through Covid central).

Since I last posted, deaths, hospitalisations and cases have all been increasing by about 10% a week.  It seems we are going to be getting upswings and downswings from now on.  I think there is bound to be an increase in cases when schools repoen, so maybe this upswing will stretch to a few weeks, but have seen others suggest that schools won't cause an increase.   The Scottish evidence seems pretty convincing to me, but we'll see. 

I don't know why there has been such a delay on the teenager vaccination question.  If they were going to do it, it seems that over the summer was going to be a good time.  As it is my eldest has got to go through a whole bunch of testing and delays before the school year starts.  If they aren't sending large groups of choldren home and lateral flow tests are pretty hopeless at treating asymptomatics, then I don't really understand why we are on this path.  Maybe it was all discussed when I was out of signal range?

Anyway, until next week (maybe).

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: August 26, 2021, 08:57:58 AM »

Two music festivals have apparently acted as spreader events.
Boardmasters in Newquay apparently has 4,000 +ve tests from around 40,000 punters, whilst Latitude in Suffolk had 1,000 from 37,000.
Both implemented a protocol of -ve test before admission.

Is this an inevitability?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: August 26, 2021, 09:40:37 AM »

Went to visit an old schoolfriend weekend before last. After a covid safe round of golf and low risk covid restuarant somehow ended up in very busy pubs and later clubs, wouldnt have normally ended up in a club pre covid but was glad i did.. Quite an eye opener and took a bit of getting used to but would recommend anyone fearful of covid just drinks a lot. That and the purity of the fags i smoke seems to have given me incred immunity.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: August 26, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »

Boardmasters in Newquay apparently has 4,000 +ve tests from around 40,000 punters, whilst Latitude in Suffolk had 1,000 from 37,000.

James Ward did a lot of reporting about Boardmasters, and was one of the first to notice the big spike.  https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1429484321203793923.

Click to see full-size image.

He is very good, and estimated about 8,000 cases or more from Boardmasters (could have been double that because of bad reporting). 

I don't think that it is inevitable from all festivals, and may just be a combo of a very young average crowd, so poor vaccine coverage, and bad sanitation (I saw some comedy toilet shots).  As a useless anecdote, two of my nieces went who had previously had Covid, and everyone else in their group came down with it (they didn't).  I suspect Latitude was always going to be lower risk as it appeals more to families than Boardmasters.

If you get a crowded event for a few days with low population vaccination coverage and combine it with the highly contagious Delta variant then there is likely to be significant spread.  So I wouldn't worry so much about a group of double vaccinated old duffers meeting in the pub for a couple of hours from a spread perspective (though likelihood of deaths from infection may be higher?).  Hi nirvana.

I think this means that Covid is likely to increase when schools return, simply because Covid spread is going to be greater with a population with a lower overall vaccination proportion.  Note vaccination slows the spread even if spread is still possible. 

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: August 27, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »

James Ward did a lot of reporting about Boardmasters, and was one of the first to notice the big spike.  https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1429484321203793923.

He is very good, and estimated about 8,000 cases or more from Boardmasters (could have been double that because of bad reporting). 

I don't think that it is inevitable from all festivals, and may just be a combo of a very young average crowd, so poor vaccine coverage, and bad sanitation (I saw some comedy toilet shots).  As a useless anecdote, two of my nieces went who had previously had Covid, and everyone else in their group came down with it (they didn't).  I suspect Latitude was always going to be lower risk as it appeals more to families than Boardmasters.

If you get a crowded event for a few days with low population vaccination coverage and combine it with the highly contagious Delta variant then there is likely to be significant spread.  So I wouldn't worry so much about a group of double vaccinated old duffers meeting in the pub for a couple of hours from a spread perspective (though likelihood of deaths from infection may be higher?).  Hi nirvana.

I think this means that Covid is likely to increase when schools return, simply because Covid spread is going to be greater with a population with a lower overall vaccination proportion.  Note vaccination slows the spread even if spread is still possible. 

You’re spot on with the distinction between Boardies and Latitude crowds, but I’m at Leeds Festival currently and the punters here are substantially less responsible than at Boardies!. I’m not in the crowded campsites, I’m in a field with just Oxfam volunteers but where I would normally be in the arena for the evening, I think I might give it a miss this year.

Has there been any anecdotal evidence of spikes from the GUKPT events?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: August 27, 2021, 05:40:48 PM »

You’re spot on with the distinction between Boardies and Latitude crowds, but I’m at Leeds Festival currently and the punters here are substantially less responsible than at Boardies!. I’m not in the crowded campsites, I’m in a field with just Oxfam volunteers but where I would normally be in the arena for the evening, I think I might give it a miss this year.

Has there been any anecdotal evidence of spikes from the GUKPT events?

I have never been to Leeds festival, but I'd be pretty relaxed chilling at near the back of the field at something like the West Holts stage at Glastonbury (don't know how useful that is, but pretty sure you have been to Glastonbury too, so can picture it).  I can't really judge how safe Leeds is from here, but presume you are a bit old for moshing at the front, though moving between stages could be an issue (assume you are going to get the odd crush?). 

I don't know how scientific it is, and don't follow a lot of people who played the GUKPT events (lots of new names to me).  But FWIW  http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=25486.msg2291852#msg2291852 

I did see photos from the Manchester GUKPT event and there were probably more masks on the Tory benches for Prime Ministers Questions. 

I'd certainly prefer the West Holts to either of those from a Covid safety viewpoint.

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 300 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: