blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  I wanted to pass this but ... well take a look.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I wanted to pass this but ... well take a look.  (Read 2516 times)
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 05:18:30 AM »

I can't speak for WellChief, but I personally have nevr had a problem mixing between cash and tournies. I have played at the very least a million hands of ring games, 15,000 sng's, and I cant even guess at how many MTT's I've played, so it just becomes what it is after you get enough experience.

I had real problems mixing between omaha and NL for a long time, now I just play one or the other.

WellChief

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 05:22:42 AM »

I used to have a problem going between MTT's and cash but I don't any more.   Its important to get past the "seeing monsters under the bed" stage as you need to be fearless in multi-tables particularly in the later stages.

I mix tourneys and cash almost 50/50.  I don't play cash tables at the same time as i'm playing multi-s as it definitely affects my play on both tables.  Ive even done stuff like bet 400 on the cash table instead of the multi by mistake with disastrous consequences!  Im fortunate I think that I love playing cash and playing multi-tournaments, I know a lot of people can find cash tables boring.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 05:30:32 AM »

I think the biggest problem is I play a live tourney or an MTT online and instead of the short handed cash game I play 90% of the time i go into these mtt's thinking' how many coin flips do I need to win or how much luck do I need to beat a field this size?'

So I am already beaten by my negative thoughts of how tricky this is going to be before I start. I can happily sit at a cash game and manouver my way into winning situations in pots that i feel comfy in but as I said in tourneys I am waiting for the beat as I am expecting it.

A little mind work is needed.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Timaloy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 05:45:33 AM »

Your right, you will lose as a massive fav in a mtt, there are many situations that you will find urself as a 8-1 fav on the folp and all the chips will go in and every so often you will lose.

Thats why mtts are so difficult to win or even get deep in because you need to beat the odds time after time even when you are a huge fav.

Your right to expect it because the odds say it will happen, just need to hope you have enough chips to take the dmg and still continue.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 02:46:38 PM »

Thats why mtts are so difficult to win or even get deep in because you need to beat the odds time after time even when you are a huge fav.

It's only true if you are a rock.

Building chips up without ever getting your stack in simply by outplaying your opponents enables you to survive the odd outdraw.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Timaloy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 03:25:41 PM »

Dont think it matters wheather you are a rock or not, depends who has more chips. You could be playing aggressive and building a big stack and run into the one player at the table who can bust you and you wont survive the outdraw.

But like you said if you are outplaying ur oppenents and gathering chips you give urself a better chance of surviving an outdraw, because there are less players at you table that can bust you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:29:29 PM by Timaloy » Logged
clayftknight

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 10:55:06 AM »

Back to the hand in question..............

Calling and seeing a flop is a terrible play.
He has put in 1/3rd of his stack, so even if you hit Ace or King, you'd need him to call off all his chips for the preflop call to be even a break even play.........knowing he has JJ, with an ace or king on board he may well escape with some chips left, and that means you have lost long term, even if you win the hand.

Calling the flop to push regardless is different but the advice on this post was to call and see a flop......not good.
If you are pushing on the flop regardless it can work for or against you, you may give 2 live cards a chance to lose 2k or win 6k...........or, you may get JJ to fold if the flop is queen high, but any other flop and this move doesn't help you, if it's lower than a jack he calls anyway and if it's higher than a jack you just give him a chance to fold, which is only good if it's queen high.

All in preflop .......well he has raised 9xBB, he won't be folding, no player alive would raise 9xBB for 1/3rd of their stack and then fold to an all in...........if they did they'd run out of money pretty damn quick!  ther whole table would run over them.
So who raises 9xBB, well, I only raise big like that, well never that big but maybe 6xBB, when I have JJ or TT and I'm not in a comfortable position..........so you have to consider JJ here........it's possible you are ahead but you are most likely behind.

So folding, as hard as it is with AK, is probably best, the only possible reason to push is that if you are gonna race, you want to be the bigger stack, and in this case you are.

Raindogs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 02:20:23 PM »

All in preflop .......well he has raised 9xBB, he won't be folding, no player alive would raise 9xBB for 1/3rd of their stack and then fold to an all in...........if they did they'd run out of money pretty damn quick!  ther whole table would run over them.
So who raises 9xBB, well, I only raise big like that, well never that big but maybe 6xBB, when I have JJ or TT and I'm not in a comfortable position..........so you have to consider JJ here........it's possible you are ahead but you are most likely behind.

So folding, as hard as it is with AK, is probably best, the only possible reason to push is that if you are gonna race, you want to be the bigger stack, and in this case you are.

I am always falling into this trap when facing large raises when I am holding AK.  I almost always read it as weakness and will push in this situation.  However as clayftknight pointed out, if your opponent has put 1/3 of their stack into the pot they will most likely call an all in bet and you are then in a coinflip situation.  If you have a very large stack and this will not hurt you too much then pushing is good.  If it is going to cripple you or bust you out then fold unless you are short stacked (I will normally push if I have less than 10BB).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: