blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 06:52:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1375 1376 1377 1378 [1379] 1380 1381 1382 1383 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2216537 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #20670 on: September 10, 2019, 10:16:53 AM »

Seeing some of the responses on Twitter, you've genuinely got to worry for the safety of politicians if a conclusion isn't forthcoming soon. Folk threatening violence, rape & so on.

Got to remember that Jo Cox was brutally murdered by a Brexit supporting loon. I can see something similar happening if nothing changes.

That is a little far-fetched Aaron.

Maybe it is - But if something similar happened again, would you be really surprised? Some of the twitter responses are awful.

Would you be equally unsurprised if a remoan loon did somethiing bonkers if we leave with no deal?

You're struggling again Arb. I haven't said any such act would be carried out by supporters of either leave or remain.

Another one.

Aarongry. Please, for the sake of proving you don't make it up as you go along, unsavoury as it may be prove that someone on Twitter posted that they would go and rape people, as you allude to, if Brexit doesn't take place.

Ah, you’re struggling just as much as Arb, didn’t think it was possible. Just to try and help you out, I haven’t made claim to any such incident being from any such person with a political alliance.

You can read Twitter - all the comments are there to be seen. I’ll help you a little more, that it’s from both sides. A politician in the commons has just stated that they’re receiving death threats via social media.

If you need any more assistance, I’m happy to help.

So you can't post one example?

Just to prove your point, not one?

I am not on twitter, this is more than enough social m for me.

So please, if they are everywhere, just post one.....please.

Prove your point or stop making up such ridiculousness.

They get taken down pretty quickly, but they are very frequent and even the daily mail accepts they exist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-racist-abuse-sexist-letters-police-investigation-mp-harassment-national-police-chiefs-a8612351.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3617766/amp/Labour-MP-Jess-Phillips-receives-600-rape-threats-just-days-launching-campaign-end-online-sexist-bullying.html

But the one you refer to isn't about Brexit.

I have no doubt there are weirdos out there making such threats, but I'm intruiged how they link it to Brexit and individuals. 

Twitter, or any social media should be deleting those accounts and reporting them to police surely, not just taking down tweets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3904808/Remainer-Gina-Miller-bombarded-vile-abuse-threatening-death-rape-High-Court-anti-Brexit-victory.html

I have linked to the Daily Mail twice in one day; I need a lie down.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #20671 on: September 10, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »

I don't understand the cheque relevance?

If that's his personal tax he has obviously had one hell of a year, and it would appear he is paying what is due rather than using an avoidance scheme?

Good on him.

Tax is something to be embraced.  Wink

I don't disagree. Someone in his position should not be sharing tweets like that, but, I doubt he really cares what we think while he is pretending to be Scrooge McDuck.

Click to see full-size image.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #20672 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »

Tried to read it but pop ups and shifting screen made it impossible.

I get your drift, but again not the actual post.

I'm no voyeur, but I am interested to see how someone wants to get to the stage of raping her because they disagree with her. The other points, while abhorrent, I can see how they get there, deport, death etc.

Anyway, off to drive to Germany now, so you can all great easy for 10 or so hours.x

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20673 on: September 10, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »

If that's his personal tax he has obviously had one hell of a year, and it would appear he is paying what is due rather than using an avoidance scheme?

Good on him.

I don't disagree. Someone in his position should not be sharing tweets like that, but, I doubt he really cares what we think while he is pretending to be Scrooge McDuck.

The cheque had no relevance at all, it just amused me, & I was wondering where to put it. Belonged on my Diary really, but I've been a bit under it lately & I'm struggling to jump back in & break the ice. I have no issue with him as to his taxation affairs, the photo just amused me I suppose, it's not every day we see (what appears to be) a personal cheque for 58 millballs. It was a bit of balance, too, whilst I abhor his Twitter bullying & trolling, if he pays that much tax he can't be all bad.

I was also rather hoping a little wry amusement might take the heat out of all the personal insults & niggles on the thread, sort of lighten the mood, & maybe act as a temporary diversion. I shall divert no further.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:37:07 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20674 on: September 10, 2019, 10:37:13 AM »

For me, the best thing about blonde used to be that it wasn't a microcosm of the wider country. It was a refuge. A place where people had to behave decently and treat each other with respect.

That ship has sailed.

Sorry Adam. I had to interpret because your pic wouldn't quote.

Anyway, mea culpa.

The mods, (me included) have let things slide way too far, but to moderate these things properly you have to argue and make enemies and I'm at a stage in my life where I don't want to do that.

The older I get, the better I was.
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #20675 on: September 10, 2019, 10:45:25 AM »

Good on him.

The cheque had no relevance at all, it just amused me, & I was wondering where to put it. Belonged on my Diary really, but I've been a bit under it lately & I'm struggling to jump back in & break the ice. I have no issue with him as to his taxation affairs, the photo just amused me I suppose, it's not every day we see (what appears to be) a personal cheque for 58 millballs. It was a bit of balance, too, whilst I abhor his Twitter bullying & trolling, if he pays that much tax he can't be all bad.

I was also rather hoping a little wry amusement might take the heat out of all the personal insults & niggles on the thread, sort of lighten the mood, & maybe act as a temporary diversion. I shall divert no further.

Teeks you come along, chuck your two penneth in and cause mayhem

Good job Adzy is on the road or he might hold a referendum on whether you should be banned
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #20676 on: September 10, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »

I find society likes to jump on the  bandwagon of trolling and bullying on twitter.    Sir Alan is holding a very experienced member of parliament to account (whether it is in a Times newspaper article in the public arena or twitter i don't see the difference) over numerous brain dead comments she has made.    The woman is a huge part of why the general public hold such little respect for the current band of MP's.  

Let's be reverse racist for a minute and say there is no way a middle class middle aged Cambridge educated white man would still be in this relative position of power having performed the same gaffs.   This is what happens when people call for govt to be more balanced people get given jobs they are clearly over a long period of time not suitably qualified for.   Add in the fact she had an affair with her current boss 30/40 years ago and it doesn't look good.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #20677 on: September 10, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »

For me, the best thing about blonde used to be that it wasn't a microcosm of the wider country. It was a refuge. A place where people had to behave decently and treat each other with respect.

That ship has sailed.

Anyway, mea culpa.

The mods, (me included) have let things slide way too far, but to moderate these things properly you have to argue and make enemies and I'm at a stage in my life where I don't want to do that.

I came back to see what was going on, it's horrible, and I don't know why I'm still driven to lurk and read.

I don't see much point in the page after page of this thread. No one is changing each others minds. Everyone is completely entrenched in their position, and are extremely unpleasant to each other day in, day out. I know which box I would tick in any upcoming election or referendum. No one here is providing a persuasive argument form me to change either, but I also find myself sickened by the approach of people here that would tick the same boxes.

This is the real legacy of Brexit. I don't remember anything like this sort of discussion 5+ years ago. People held different political opinions to each other, but there was much more of a "it's between me and the ballot box" attitude.

Are you trying to persuade someone to change their opinion and come over to your way of thinking, or are you just enjoying the endless unwinnable scrapping? Utterly pointless and thoroughly unpleasant to watch.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #20678 on: September 10, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »

I find society likes to jump on the  bandwagon of trolling and bullying on twitter.    Sir Alan is holding a very experienced member of parliament to account (whether it is in a Times newspaper article in the public arena or twitter i don't see the difference) over numerous brain dead comments she has made.    The woman is a huge part of why the general public hold such little respect for the current band of MP's.  

Let's be reverse racist for a minute and say there is no way a middle class middle aged Cambridge educated white man would still be in this relative position of power having performed the same gaffs.   This is what happens when people call for govt to be more balanced people get given jobs they are clearly over a long period of time not suitably qualified for.   Add in the fact she had an affair with her current boss 30/40 years ago and it doesn't look good.

Yeah, if Boris Johnson ever made a gaffe...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #20679 on: September 10, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »

Good on him.

In no way did I want to stop you diverting!
I think this thread is in serious need of some diverting from the current ongoing bickering, but I can see Tom's point that it must be tiresome for you guys.

Only friendly questions from me, and the odd picture to hopefully provide some amusement.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20680 on: September 10, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »

I began it 1380 pages and seven years ago as things in the political arena were interesting. Didn't know things would go in various directions though

I personally don't stick posts or links up to change anyone's mind, more of a matter of record and a timeline as to the course of events. I also get exposure to views from sections of the electorate I wouldn't read or hear from in my everyday life in response

It is certainly true that a lot of the quality of discourse on the thread has worsened substantially with rudeness, bullying, trolling occurring most days.

From a moderating angle, with very limited time nowadays I know that if I wade into that and contact people, delete posts and dealwith it its a terrible experience and often unsolvable with people not letting things drop in PMs, frequent reporting of posts to moderators, interminable grudge holding and in some cases after uneasy truces things resuming publically after a few days.

In recent weeks I have gone to post stuff, and stopped myself as I don't want the hassle. Then on other occasions I weaken and chastise myself for what follows :-) But generally in put less up, which sometimes i think is a shame.

The thread mirrors society really, completely split on key issues notably Brexit.

Social media has also been a factor and amongst other things has led to people to converse in different ways too, and say things including on here, in manners they wouldn't even dreamt of saying 5 years ago. That includes myself. Really 5 years ago would i have told Adz to fuck off? Probably not.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #20681 on: September 10, 2019, 11:39:07 AM »

The affair part must have limited value when the current PM was sacked for lying to the leader of the CP about an affair.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1476560/Howard-sacks-devastated-Boris-Johnson-over-affair.html

This isn’t an unreasonable comparison to the worst of Abbot’s shortcomings under scrutiny:

https://www.indy100.com/article/liz-truss-brexit-eu-referendum-lbc-radio-interview-eddie-mair-watch-video-9038631

and Boris himself talks utter rubbish continuously, so Abbot hardly stands out on this front, she tops the abuse charts though.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Michael+spicer+boris+johnson

Used the Michael Spicer line up because it’s hilarious and convenient, apologies to any concerned by the inevitable bias in way in which is presented.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/we-know-boris-johnson-liar-it-s-his-enablers-who-are-most-culpable

engy

View Profile
« Reply #20682 on: September 10, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »

That ship has sailed.

G

Anyway, mea culpa.

I came back to see what was going on, it's horrible, and I don't know why I'm still driven to lurk and read.

I don't see much point in the page after page of this thread. No one is changing each others minds. Everyone is completely entrenched in their position, and are extremely unpleasant to each other day in, day out. I know which box I would tick in any upcoming election or referendum. No one here is providing a persuasive argument form me to change either, but I also find myself sickened by the approach of people here that would tick the same boxes.

This is the real legacy of Brexit. I don't remember anything like this sort of discussion 5+ years ago. People held different political opinions to each other, but there was much more of a "it's between me and the ballot box" attitude.

Are you trying to persuade someone to change their opinion and come over to your way of thinking, or are you just enjoying the endless unwinnable scrapping? Utterly pointless and thoroughly unpleasant to watch.

Great post Adam. I think brexit discussions before we had social media would have been totally different.
The hate and vitriol I see on Facebook/twitter every single day between people is unbelievable. A lot of them who before the Brexit debate had no interest or knowledge of politics and to be honest I think a lot still don't , it just seems they want to give they're opinion and have an argument
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #20683 on: September 10, 2019, 11:53:41 AM »

In the old days of Blonde, the flash points were in the sports threads, with Rangers and Celtic fans, or Man Utd and Liverpool fans getting over heated.

There was a bright and enjoyable atmosphere where people from all backgrounds gathered to talk poker and non-poker related topics. It was a lovely place to be.

Now there's just a dark cloud hanging over everything and all the energy is negative, and I don't see any way back from it. There's no outcome where everyone just shakes hands and moves on. We're facing decades of this conversation, regardless of how the next 6 months go. I don't mean just here, I mean in the wider world too. Life's too short.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:55:23 AM by AdamM » Logged
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20684 on: September 10, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »

I get the general points but I've seen much worse on Blonde in the past, serious, grudge filled, personal and sometimes criminal. And to indulge in a bit of whataboutery, for all there is plenty of bickering and insults here, generally, the behaviour is so much better than on other social media.

I'm always surprised when people comment about how bad the discourse is here when it's really pretty gentle - thanks in large part to the moderating influence of people who may not moderate too harshly these days. Most people self moderate to an extent as I don't think many want to deeply offend others or the people who keep this site going (even if sometimes that happens).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:57:30 AM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 1375 1376 1377 1378 [1379] 1380 1381 1382 1383 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: