blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272714 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Reasons why I ask is it worth it?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reasons why I ask is it worth it?  (Read 77871 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 13, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »

I know a lot of people from all different walks of life, and sometimes I get a lot of disrespect for being a poker player, but I never dispespect anyones lifestyle and I think that's important, poker players might haves much different attitude to money, but they might not value itless, bankers in London buying chapagne for lunch what's wrong with that?

On the why don't youget a job instead of borrowing money comment, gotta say that's pretty narrow minded...put urself ina situation whereyouhavea 5 figure financial commitment and ur whole br is gone if you pay it? If that was a bossiness what would you say "oh well declare urself bust and get a job at tesco" or do anything you can to sort it. The trick to stay in control. I never borrowed money specifically to gamble with and the accusation a bit disrespectful.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 13, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

Yes I would get a job if my business went bust......
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 13, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »

business can be trading at a loss thou - i think that is what they are saying! You woudl do everything to stop it going under

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:16 PM »

I know a lot of people from all different walks of life, and sometimes I get a lot of disrespect for being a poker player, but I never dispespect anyones lifestyle and I think that's important, poker players might haves much different attitude to money, but they might not value itless, bankers in London buying chapagne for lunch what's wrong with that?

On the why don't youget a job instead of borrowing money comment, gotta say that's pretty narrow minded...put urself ina situation whereyouhavea 5 figure financial commitment and ur whole br is gone if you pay it? If that was a bossiness what would you say "oh well declare urself bust and get a job at tesco" or do anything you can to sort it. The trick to stay in control. I never borrowed money specifically to gamble with and the accusation a bit disrespectful

First of all, I cant speak for everyone else on this thread but when Ive been referring to poker players having no respect for money, by and large I am talking about the degens, the bad apples, the grimmers etc. Most pro players are pro players because they worked hard at their game and that should not be taken away from them.

However I'm not sure I buy the business going bust argument, simply because there isnt much excuse for a professional poker player going bust. Not because 'it means they were crap at poker', simply because there is a really simple concept in poker, one that is perhaps the single most important yet the most missused and ignored, known as bankroll management.

A truly professional poker player should always be playing within their own limits at all times imo, the reason all these degen/spinup/grimming stories occur as a lot down to the fact that at some point the player stopped employing correct bankroll management. They got a taste for the big games and let their ego take control when the variance hit them hard and they were not professional enough to step down a stake or two. Thats why I cant understand why anyone would want to back a known degen/grimmer, someone who has proven they cant run their own business.

I'm probably coming across as a right grumpy killjoy here and very anti staking/taking shots, but to reiterate, I am mainly talking about the degens who grim people and stuff when things turn sour. I've been fortunate enough to meet plenty of very professional, respectful and courteous pro players in my time.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »

business can be trading at a loss thou - i think that is what they are saying! You woudl do everything to stop it going under

Including theft?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »

Including theft?

no obv not, i mean work harder!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »

Sorry can't quote on my phone, will answer later when can do better fuller replies....
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 13, 2010, 10:11:52 PM »

On the why don't youget a job instead of borrowing money comment, gotta say that's pretty narrow minded...put urself ina situation whereyouhavea 5 figure financial commitment and ur whole br is gone if you pay it? If that was a bossiness what would you say "oh well declare urself bust and get a job at tesco" or do anything you can to sort it. The trick to stay in control. I never borrowed money specifically to gamble with and the accusation a bit disrespectful

First of all, I cant speak for everyone else on this thread but when Ive been referring to poker players having no respect for money, by and large I am talking about the degens, the bad apples, the grimmers etc. Most pro players are pro players because they worked hard at their game and that should not be taken away from them.

However I'm not sure I buy the business going bust argument, simply because there isnt much excuse for a professional poker player going bust. Not because 'it means they were crap at poker', simply because there is a really simple concept in poker, one that is perhaps the single most important yet the most missused and ignored, known as bankroll management.

A truly professional poker player should always be playing within their own limits at all times imo, the reason all these degen/spinup/grimming stories occur as a lot down to the fact that at some point the player stopped employing correct bankroll management. They got a taste for the big games and let their ego take control when the variance hit them hard and they were not professional enough to step down a stake or two. Thats why I cant understand why anyone would want to back a known degen/grimmer, someone who has proven they cant run their own business.

I'm probably coming across as a right grumpy killjoy here and very anti staking/taking shots, but to reiterate, I am mainly talking about the degens who grim people and stuff when things turn sour. I've been fortunate enough to meet plenty of very professional, respectful and courteous pro players in my time.

Your posts on this thread have been absolutely spot on.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: August 13, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »

You're so in your 30s now Barry Wink

But I agree (as a fellow 30-something).  Being a good poker player is more than your skill at the table.  It's that combined with table selection, managing tilt, and probably a list of other things.  I'm sure there are loads of very respectable and decent young poker players who are 'crushing' the game, and yet they aren't in the limelight.  Maybe a lot of the ones who seek the fame/notoriety are the ones who live and aspire to the 'balla' life-style?  That's why we're more aware of them?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: August 13, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »

Including theft?

no obv not, i mean work harder!

So not 'everything' then?  Not 'borrowing' money with no intention of paying it back, or taking money under false pretences?

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: August 13, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »

But I agree (as a fellow 30-something).  Being a good poker player is more than your skill at the table.  It's that combined with table selection, managing tilt, and probably a list of other things.  I'm sure there are loads of very respectable and decent young poker players who are 'crushing' the game, and yet they aren't in the limelight.  Maybe a lot of the ones who seek the fame/notoriety are the ones who live and aspire to the 'balla' life-style?  That's why we're more aware of them?

Yep, in my 30s and a right miserable chuff (love it too).

We all know highly talented, 'tv' type pros who dont have 2 pennies to rub together. I'm pretty certain there will be plenty of recreational players who think Sammy George is a big time pro. Cos Im a poker journo I've interviewed most of the big 'names' and after a while with a few exceptions they have bored the crap out of me. People think they are minted but most of them are cash rich but have very little else to show than whats in their wallet.

I always wonder who is the better player, someone with bags of talent but has gone bust because they cant manage money and owe it left right and centre, or my mother, who plays $1 SNGs and is in profit to the tune of about $26. Obv the talented degen but its an interesting debate.

The guys I really admire are people like Thewy, Clarkatroid, Leatherass, Stuart Rutter, Andy Ward etc - guys who seem to adopt a 9-5 type professional approach to their game. Another player I really find fascinating and were it not for our intense eastside/westside rap rivalry would sing his praises more is little old James Atkin, someone who I think is really professional, particularly since he became a Dad, and has managed to stick to a professional bankroll management system despite having once played some really sicko limits.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:27:47 PM by DaveShoelace » Logged
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 13, 2010, 10:25:46 PM »

LOL at James being really professional,he plays less than me 
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2010, 10:28:22 PM »

well hes got a paper round and a recording career now hasnt he, bless im
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »

well hes got a paper round and a recording career now hasnt he, bless im

He told me he was backing Eminem on his next tour,I've shipped him $ for backstage passes so I hope he's not another grimmer ?
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »

But I agree (as a fellow 30-something).  Being a good poker player is more than your skill at the table.  It's that combined with table selection, managing tilt, and probably a list of other things.  I'm sure there are loads of very respectable and decent young poker players who are 'crushing' the game, and yet they aren't in the limelight.  Maybe a lot of the ones who seek the fame/notoriety are the ones who live and aspire to the 'balla' life-style?  That's why we're more aware of them?

Yep, in my 30s and a right miserable chuff (love it too).

We all know highly talented, 'tv' type pros who dont have 2 pennies to rub together. I'm pretty certain there will be plenty of recreational players who think Sammy George is a big time pro. Cos Im a poker journo I've interviewed most of the big 'names' and after a while with a few exceptions they have bored the crap out of me. People think they are minted but most of them are cash rich but have very little else to show than whats in their wallet.

I always wonder who is the better player, someone with bags of talent but has gone bust because they cant manage money and owe it left right and centre, or my mother, who plays $1 SNGs and is in profit to the tune of about $26. Obv the talented degen but its an interesting debate.

The guys I really admire are people like Thewy, Clarkatroid, Leatherass, Stuart Rutter, Andy Ward etc - guys who seem to adopt a 9-5 type professional approach to their game. Another player I really find fascinating and were it not for our intense eastside/westside rap rivalry would sing his praises more is little old James Atkin, someone who I think is really professional, particularly since he became a Dad, and has managed to stick to a professional bankroll management system despite having once played some really sicko limits.

Agree with all those names except Leatherass.

Horrible man.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: