blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272683 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Reasons why I ask is it worth it?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reasons why I ask is it worth it?  (Read 77744 times)
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »

it really tilts me off when people say internet pro's dont know "the value of money" like only a 60 yr old guy who has been on a building site for 45 years does.

some people work with there muscles some with their brains. some get up at the crack of dawn and some go to sleep at that time.

its very patronising to say "they dont know the value of money" everyone is brought up in different circumstances.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »

it really tilts me off when people say internet pro's dont know "the value of money" like only a 60 yr old guy who has been on a building site for 45 years does.

some people work with there muscles some with their brains. some get up at the crack of dawn and some go to sleep at that time.

its very patronising to say "they dont know the value of money" everyone is brought up in different circumstances.

It depends on the individual obv, but broadly speaking I'd say its true tbh, more likely with people that have made a lot whilst very young in a short period of time.............

I think poker players in general don't value money as much as others, I know I don't and I've tried very hard to make myself do it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:53:46 PM by Woodsey » Logged
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »

Would an internet pro lend $2,000 to someone they've never met if he had to work a month 9am - 6pm 5 days a week as a hod carrier to earn it?

I may have said it in a patronising way, but I think it is definitely true.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »

you dont think internet mtters work longer hours  than this?

and what is the value of money?
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »

Playing poker is not work.

Work your bollocks off so you're so tired you can hardly walk, for a pay packet which won't be a buyin for 3 Sunday majors.

That's work.

And what is the value of money?

Ask a single mum with 2 kids struggling on benefits who can't pay the rent what she thinks of a poker player sticking his chips in blind in a rebuy tournament or playing $100 flip.

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2010, 08:19:04 PM »

Work your bollocks off so you're so tired you can hardly walk, for a pay packet which won't be a buyin for 3 Sunday majors.

That's work.

Ask a single mum with 2 kids struggling on benefits who can't pay the rent what she thinks of a poker player sticking his chips in blind in a rebuy tournament or playing $100 flip.

Keith, I think I love you.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »

An example of the 'value of money' thing for me is when you see people with a 'balla' lifestyle (not just poker players) bragging about spending thousands on a single night out.  Sometimes as much as could otherwise be used to buy a car or a luxury holiday.  Is there really any need to spend that much money to have a great night out?  Think there were stories on here a while back as well about someone literally throwing cash chips into the sea.  Maybe 'lack of respect' for money would be a better definition than 'not knowing the value of money' - or maybe it's a bit of both.

All that said - it's their money, they can do what they want with it. I just don't understand the people that think acting like that makes someone worthy of idolisation.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »

you dont think internet mtters work longer hours  than this?

That's work.

The thing is tho it's unfair to say that poker players are wrong to do this and to just assume that everyones a twat,they aren't.I certainly don't come from a wealthy background and I appreciate what it is to struggle financially,however I made choices in my life that got me to where I am just like the person you refer to who has to work there bollocks off to earn a living,I've done it I used to work 80 hours a week as a kitchen porter on minimum wage,just like the single mum with 2 kids on benefit there's a reason why she's in that position so if I want to go to Vegas and flip for $100 coz i think it's fun and it gives me a buzz then why shouldn't I do it.I put myself in a position where it was possible for me to do that.I never had any better chances than the single mum or the worker who grafts there bollocks off.

I will also say that anyone who thinks it's easy to grind a living from poker is flat out wrong,I very much doubt many people could cope with the swings of playing mtt's for a living I know I couldn't I can also tell you from my own perspective that my job as an accountant was a lot easier than grinding 45mans for a living.I don't say that looking for sympathy as I love what I do but although we maybe earn a good living doing what we do we work damn hard for it.

Also I've pretty much thought you were absolutely spot on with what you've said in this thread Keith just think it's easy for people to say that there jobs are a "real" job but playing poker for a living is a "real" job and a lot harder one than an office job.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:53:20 PM by mondatoo » Logged
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »

An example of the 'value of money' thing for me is when you see people with a 'balla' lifestyle (not just poker players) bragging about spending thousands on a single night out.  Sometimes as much as could otherwise be used to buy a car or a luxury holiday.  Is there really any need to spend that much money to have a great night out?  Think there were stories on here a while back as well about someone literally throwing cash chips into the sea.  Maybe 'lack of respect' for money would be a better definition than 'not knowing the value of money' - or maybe it's a bit of both.

All that said - it's their money, they can do what they want with it. I just don't understand the people that think acting like that makes someone worthy of idolisation.

How would you describe the way you value money Clare? Do you think you value it?

Not a flame, just a genuine question.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »

That's work.

The thing is tho it's unfair to say that poker players are wrong to do this and to just assume that everyones a twat,they aren't.I certainly don't come from a wealthy background and I appreciate what is to struggle financially,however I made choices in my life that got me to where I am just like the person you refer to who has to work there bollocks off to earn a living,I've done it I used to work 80 hours a week as a kitchen porter on minimum wage,just like the single mum with 2 kids on benefit there's a reason why she's in that position so if I want to go to Vegas and flip for $100 coz i think it's fun and it gives me a buzz then why shouldn't I do it.I put myself in a position where it was possible for me to do that I never had any better chances than the single mum or the worker who grafts there bollocks off.

I will also say that anyone who thinks it's easy to grind a living from poker is flat out wrong,I very much doubt many people could cope with the swings of playing mtt's for a living I know I couldn't I can also tell you from my own perspective that my job as an accountant was a lot easier than grinding 45mans for a living.I don't say that looking for sympathy as I love what I do but although we maybe earn a good living doing what we do we work damn hard for it.

Also I've pretty much thought you were absolutely spot on with what you've said in this thread Keith just think it's easy for people to say that there jobs are a "real" job but playing poker for a living is a "real" job and a lot harder one than an office job.

I've worked for a living and gambled for a living.

To me, there is zero comparison and I have never been in a job which was physically and mentally exhausting.

I don't mind people flipping for whatever they want to, it's their money do with it as they please.

It's the people who idolise the nose bleed players or players who rub the noses of poorer people that really annoy me.

It is not a hardship not to play a big tournament.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »

An example of the 'value of money' thing for me is when you see people with a 'balla' lifestyle (not just poker players) bragging about spending thousands on a single night out.  Sometimes as much as could otherwise be used to buy a car or a luxury holiday.  Is there really any need to spend that much money to have a great night out?  Think there were stories on here a while back as well about someone literally throwing cash chips into the sea.  Maybe 'lack of respect' for money would be a better definition than 'not knowing the value of money' - or maybe it's a bit of both.

How would you describe the way you value money Clare? Do you think you value it?

Not a flame, just a genuine question.

Yes I appreciate the value of money - I wouldn't pay way over the odds for anything, to prove a point or otherwise.  That's not to say I haven't been wasteful/extravagant with it on occasions, but only with amounts that a lot of people here would consider kebab shop money, and I certainly have never done it because I think it impresses people.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »

That's work.

The thing is tho it's unfair to say that poker players are wrong to do this and to just assume that everyones a twat,they aren't.I certainly don't come from a wealthy background and I appreciate what is to struggle financially,however I made choices in my life that got me to where I am just like the person you refer to who has to work there bollocks off to earn a living,I've done it I used to work 80 hours a week as a kitchen porter on minimum wage,just like the single mum with 2 kids on benefit there's a reason why she's in that position so if I want to go to Vegas and flip for $100 coz i think it's fun and it gives me a buzz then why shouldn't I do it.I put myself in a position where it was possible for me to do that I never had any better chances than the single mum or the worker who grafts there bollocks off.

To me, there is zero comparison and I have never been in a job which was physically and mentally exhausting.

I don't mind people flipping for whatever they want to, it's their money do with it as they please.

It's the people who idolise the nose bleed players or players who rub the noses of poorer people that really annoy me.

Did you have the same attitude when you were younger Keeeeef?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »

From someone who probably has insight on both worlds. Working for a living and looking after a family is so much tougher than grinding mtts. The beauty of poker is that u r ur own boss. Take a day off here. A late start after a night on the lash there and maybe some players dont know what its really like to earn a crust. However i wouldnt go tarnishing these kids with the same brush just because a few bad eggs couldnt fight their way out the honest way.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »

That's work.

Did you have the same attitude when you were younger Keeeeef?

I've been broke and done ridic degen things more times than I care to remember.

The difference is, I knew I was being a tosser when I did it, some people (seems like Marc is a prime example) think it's something to be admired.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »

That's work.

Agree with everything you've said there Keith and I have debated many times stopping updating my thread incase it seems like I'm bragging when I have good days,not that it's anywhere near the amounts we are talking about here but i do wonder if it pisses people off.I'm not saying that poker is a tough job to do as it's not and I certainly can't think of anyone in poker who I idolise,apart from Cos obv ldo but It's not a stroll in the park either playing 24 tables for 10 hours a day or playing loads of mtts for a lot of $ when ur deep in make up is more mentally draining than any job I've ever done(I've never done the latter but I'm pretty sure its worse than what I do).
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: