blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:46:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Live tourney game at Cincinattis last night
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live tourney game at Cincinattis last night  (Read 4158 times)
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 02:05:17 PM »

im not in the blinds and have at least 10 bb's left after this hand. Personally im waiting for a better spot to get my chips in, i dont know i would just prefer to get my chips in first in situations like this

Can i ask what edge you need before you commit your stack?

Position for a start- I was worried about the 2 big stacks calling me and eliminating me in the process- they both had the chips to do so with any pair above 8's IMO

Last night was playing a live tourney game and I got laughed at by pretty much the whole table bar 2 decent players who agreed with me for the way I played this hand.

the 2 decent players thought you should have folded? wow

I know-might seem strange as I was a massive favourite(in hindsight) however they agreed against any 2 live cards although I woulda been favourite not a massive favourite- if I'm being honest I really hate getting my chips in preflop the best of times-but even more so from an early position- it just seemd an awful lot for me to call for what seemd at the time a gamble

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »

I know-might seem strange as I was a massive favourite(in hindsight) however they agreed against any 2 live cards although I woulda been favourite not a massive favourite- if I'm being honest I really hate getting my chips in preflop the best of times-but even more so from an early position- it just seemd an awful lot for me to call for what seemd at the time a gamble

yes, I just think that making folds like this (not specifically this hand, but spots where the equity edge is laden with gold) is a great way of drastically increasing your chances of not winning... all too often people will just sit and wait for these "better spots".. they dont arrive, and then they end up pushing all in with 4/5BB's with a hand like K9 and hoping they are in a coinflip, 40/60 spot, and then wither out in 3rd or 4th place... rueing their lost opportunities.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 02:23:21 PM »

The reason they said that is the good players dont educate.

They will tell you the wrong thing, either that or the are 'good' players by that i mean just tight players. Always seem to get it in ahead but dont really understand when to deviate.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 02:28:11 PM »

yes, I just think that making folds like this (not specifically this hand, but spots where the equity edge is laden with gold) is a great way of drastically increasing your chances of not winning... all too often people will just sit and wait for these "better spots".. they dont arrive, and then they end up pushing all in with 4/5BB's with a hand like K9 and hoping they are in a coinflip, 40/60 spot, and then wither out in 3rd or 4th place... rueing their lost opportunities.

it's scary as I'm doing this a lot lately  but I agree with totalise on this one... I would move all in myself.very few people call two people who are all in at a final table. And "any 2 life cards and you're not a massive favourite" no, 60-40. the same percentage as JQ to AK is. or 24 V AK....

My chips are in the middle. Although I am more than happy with you making the fold I don't know about it being the correct play if you want to win the tourney.

and who were these "only two decent players"? Before i believe they are the only 2 decent ones I would kind off like to know you didn't think they were the only 2 decent ones because they agreed with you.. Wink

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »

They will tell you the wrong thing, either that or the are 'good' players by that i mean just tight players. Always seem to get it in ahead but dont really understand when to deviate.

Boldie and flushy- these players weren't trying to bait me- one of them was the dealer for a start and wasnt involved at the final table- andrew-the dude that runs the tourneys, then the other was a good player called dougie who i've played against a few times- he wasnt saying it directly to me- he was just saying to the other players it wasnt necessarily an instant call because he agreed against any 2 live cards i'm not a massive favourite.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 02:38:07 PM by Hairydude » Logged

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 02:38:22 PM »

My chips would be in the pot so fast there would be scorch marks on the table*

*as long as i was reasonably certain he wasn't pulling a fast one.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »

Well its not an instant call, as its such an unusual situation.

I can't think of any good players that can find a fold here though! It's always easier away from the table though!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 02:43:45 PM »

Boldie and flushy- these players weren't trying to bait me- one of them was the dealer for a start and wasnt involved at the final table- andrew-the dude that runs the tourneys, then the other was a good player called dougie who i've played against a few times- he wasnt saying it directly to me- he was just saying to the other players it wasnt necessarily an instant call because he agreed against any 2 live cards i'm not a massive favourite.

i didn't want to imply they were trying to bait you.

i do still think however that it was a call.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »

Yeah U are all correct that I probably should have called-i've done the simulations and I would have been a big favourite, I just wanted more opinions, but like flushy says its all so easy away from the table when its not your money and tournament life on the line,

I also dont think folding here was totally the incorrect- taking into consideration my other arguments that the money did mean something-even if it was only another £50 on top to finish in 3rd and that I was confident I could get to 3 handed without really playing many hands- even with your argument totalise that many better spots might not come up,

What was also in my thought process was the 2 short stacks will probably try and double up with marginal hands and a good chance they will get knocked out and the other dude who had raised me in this pot would prbably hang himself against one of the big stacks- and thats exactly what happened

The first smaller stack had managed to get his up to about 18k when he was on the button he raised my big blind all in and I looked down to  now this was an instant call for me- nobody else in pot, nobody behind me and I would have around 14k left even after I call- I called he didnt hit then there were 5 players,

next was the erratic player who had been making big plays with peesh such as this hand in discussion, it was actually me that knocked him out- he called from sb when I was BB I checked my K9, flop came K9x with 2 diamonds, he went all in with a flush draw and I called my top 2 pair and hit the boat

then the other smaller stack got kocked out

after quite a few hands of play when it was 3 handed I had managed to work my way up to about 2nd in chips with about 77k in chips when this hand came down- blinds were 2.5k/5k I was sb and button flat called and I called the extra 2.5k with , the BB then min raised 5k and the button called- a lot in the pot so I called to see what the flop would bring- flop came  - I could sense the raiser had something- at least an ace with his initial raise so I just checked in the hope he would give me a free card, he did the button checked too- then a  came on turn giving me a pair and flush draw- I still didnt want to bet as I could sense he had something big so I checked again to see where I was- BB checked and button checked- the river brought me a  which was my jackpot card(unless a higher flush-but not throwing this away 3 handed) so I check he puts in massive raisde- button folds and I go all in- the BB calls and shows his 2 pair A5

I also got quizzed how I could play  to a min raise- but IMO he played it terribly giving me those free cards just because he had 2 pair, and for the extra 5k I had to call there was 25k in the pot

In the end up we chopped 1st and 2nd prize  for £210 each after 7 hours of play- I understand it may not have been the right move to fold the  at that point but perhaps it was the wrong move at the right time cuz it kinda worked out for me in the end

p.s. at one point I had 200,000 to 30,000 chips lead but he chipped away at my blinds while waiting for a hand to put him in- he was going all in every hand while I was getting 45os, 83os etc eventually I put him all in with K5 and he called with A2- the first card out was a King and I thought the tourney was mine but he rivered ane ace to put us at roughly 100/130 in my favour-thats when asked did I want a deal and I agreed even although it was in my favour I was shattered as it was 3a.m and I also knew the next hand that wins will probably win the tourney so it coulda easily been a coinflip so all in all I was happy with the £210
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 03:33:30 PM by Hairydude » Logged

TheGreenOne

You Gotta Speculate to Accumulate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »

I like your style, I like your moves  dad dont dance Well played Hairydude
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 04:05:46 PM »

I like the suited connectors play...it is simply good play IMO and anyone who doubts that move 3 handed is nuts.

Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 06:19:53 PM »

What would you have done with the hand had he not said that?

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »

Get your chips in the middle in this position every time.

Who was UTG??

Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 08:38:26 PM »

To me it comes down to your style and your level of confidence of whether you can get the better of the other 5 players. IMHO I think there's a huge edge in getting your money in first, for me its an easy fold, even with    !

I just wouldn't of talked about my hand to anyone, it gives them too much info, storing up problems for later.

I guess its just as well that we all play differently otherwise it would be like playing whist with your Gran.

Stars - stoneleighrd = Betfair - stone_clm
party - bubblesqueak
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 03:05:41 PM »

Get your chips in the middle in this position every time.

Who was UTG??

Bandit-it was keith- the guy who's 2nd on the leaderboard- managed to win again last night in the double chance game so i'm creeping up the leaderboard now too

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: