blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 645 646 [647] 648 649 650 651 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1281446 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9690 on: January 03, 2015, 01:33:55 PM »

Gerrard

the airwaves are full of "is he liverpool's greatest ever?"

isn't this huge recency bias?

i could make a case for

Dalglish
Rush
Souness (i'd argue long and hard to have souness over gerrard in a midfield. hard as nails and could play too)
Hughes
Hansen
St John
Hunt

all might have claims. of course many people opining that stevie g is the best ever might not have seen some of these play

i know its impossible to compare across eras and positions, but Dalglish for me

Click to see full-size image.

people on here would entertain stevie g being the best liverpool player ever, or not?

He's one of the greatest, as many have said.

Maybe there's the rose-tinted glasses for many looking at the past as well? In some ways it's more difficult to say a current/recent player is a great or a legend. They're too contemporary and usually greats are from the past.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: January 03, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »

Gerrard

the airwaves are full of "is he liverpool's greatest ever?"

isn't this huge recency bias?

i could make a case for

Dalglish
Rush
Souness (i'd argue long and hard to have souness over gerrard in a midfield. hard as nails and could play too)
Hughes
Hansen
St John
Hunt

all might have claims. of course many people opining that stevie g is the best ever might not have seen some of these play

i know its impossible to compare across eras and positions, but Dalglish for me

Click to see full-size image.

people on here would entertain stevie g being the best liverpool player ever, or not?

He's one of the greatest, as many have said.

Maybe there's the rose-tinted glasses for many looking at the past as well? In some ways it's more difficult to say a current/recent player is a great or a legend. They're too contemporary and usually greats are from the past.

As most will know on here i am no big fan of Gerrard,

Great point by Kin though one of the reasons it is impossible to compare is now every game every pass every tackle and every mistake is analysed to the hilt.

I watched Maradona a lot for Napoli when i was very young he had a quiet game maybe every four games and was brilliant for two of the other three. Now if Messi does not score for two games he has gone/to slow/to old.

Its even harder to compare Gerrard to Souness for example. He would obviously adapt his game but the way he played he would be sent off today in every game usually within 30 minutes.

Would he have been the same player without being "hard as nails"? unlikely

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:41:54 PM by horseplayer » Logged
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: January 03, 2015, 01:41:22 PM »

Cant believe im defending Gerrard !

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: January 03, 2015, 01:58:29 PM »

I don't even think its close between Gerrard and Kenny Dal. 

When you consider the players in front of Kenny at Celtic and the fact that Mr Stein made him one of the youngest captains in the clubs history and never wanted to let him go it sats it all for me.   Kenny was a superstar for Celtic in a team littered with stars, he was an icon at Liverpool and is arguably Scotland's best ever. 

Gerrard has been a great servant to the club, but for me he's a bit like Paul McStay.   He should have left Liverpool and shown what he could do elsewhere.  Even at International level he flattered to deceive. 

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9694 on: January 03, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »

Gerrard is more Dalglish than Paul McStay.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: January 03, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »

Gerrard is more Dalglish than Paul McStay.

Really?
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: January 03, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »

Kmac assuming Arb's position in the Liverpool thread Cheesy

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: January 03, 2015, 06:42:40 PM »

Kmac assuming Arb's position in the Liverpool thread Cheesy

You know which buttons to press Marky!  Kmac for prime minister!  These fan threads get funnier by the week but I am going back to retirement to enjoy them and let kmac be the resident troll.  I never know which one to roflmao at first each day the lolapool or Geordie one. Both are total class at the minute of the blind leading the blind.

Think the Geordie thread is a short head in front of this one for lol factor but the Gerard v kenny comparison is seriously making me chuckle.

I am getting a score a post to get viewing figures back up. Couldn't resist the free cash to come back and stimulate the place😀
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:48:31 PM by arbboy » Logged
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: January 04, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »

About as bang on as it should be

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2894674/As-Steven-Gerrard-announces-s-leaving-Liverpool-think-times-wished-playing-team.html
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: January 05, 2015, 09:52:57 PM »

I really cant wait for Flanagan's return.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9700 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:11 PM »

Losing our leading goal-scorer again at the end of the season.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: January 05, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »

Losing our leading goal-scorer again at the end of the season.

Indeed.

This might be a little bit "controversial" but am I alone in thinking that Rodgers has basically said to Gerrard that the club can only see him as an impact sub/not the first name on the team sheet, and that the club want him to look into coaching - and Gerrard has said no thanks, I want to play full time so I'm off?

Rodgers isnt going to change his philosophy and the way he plays - and unfortunately Gerrard doesnt fit that system any more.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9702 on: January 05, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »

Gerrard needs a rest from carrying the club for over a decade.

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: January 05, 2015, 11:23:12 PM »

Gerrard needs a rest from carrying the club for over a decade.

Will end up carrying whatever club he goes to stateside
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: January 06, 2015, 12:21:48 AM »

am I alone in thinking that Rodgers has basically said to Gerrard that the club can only see him as an impact sub/not the first name on the team sheet, and that the club want him to look into coaching - and Gerrard has said no thanks, I want to play full time so I'm off?

Yes you're right, this is exactly what has happened. At best. At worst we didn't even want him full stop as he had to come out and declare that he hasn't been offered a new contract for us to to then offer him one.

What has really staggered me though is how Stevie has come out and praised Rogers even more, saying that if Rogers had moved to the club when he was 24 then they could have won a couple of premier league titles together! How does he reckon that then, as Rogers couldn't have attracted the quality of international players that our actual managers did, IMO.
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 645 646 [647] 648 649 650 651 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: