blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 1169 1170 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6331609 times)
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #17475 on: February 12, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »

Mick's blogged twice recently but it looks like he's taking some time out to care for his labradar who is very ill. I like his blog, he certainly doesn't pussyfoot about..

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17476 on: February 12, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »

Two big congrats. I love to see peeps do well, but it's almost unfashionable to say "well done" these days.

Simon Trumper, nicking the fat end of €20k in Paris yesterday, in the Omaha. Delighted. He's had a bit of a rough ride lately, one way & another, but he's a man's man, kept his dignity, continued to do his job well, & I hope 2010 will be a better year for him.

And Thewy. Wow, wow, wow, the dream deal for him. Young Mr Rutter scooped a nice deal recently, & I searched my mind for other Pros who'd be a commercial asset to an Online Room, & it was a struggle to come up with many names. But Thewy topped all the lists, & ticks all the boxes.

I could write his whole poker story, from the very start, maybe another day I will. The Boy done good, & every time he does, I feel a sense of pride & warmth, because he's 100% straight.

It's an oddity, but three of us hooked up at the start, Thewy, Belly, & me, & we all thought we were the best of the three. I know, I know, but when you are a newbie, & you've scooped a 36 runner Tenner Freezeout in Derby, you DO think you are the goods.

Anyway, he went that away, to Tourney fame & fortune, & I went t'other way, & found modest success off the table. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm proud, very proud, because I got there by working hard, not talent.

Belly - Ian Oldershaw - was the third Member of our little Team, & after scooping a 6 figure sum in The Master Classics, he tried life as a Pro, but it was not for him, & he gave up after 6 months, not having lost a single penny of his winnings. (Apart from the 19% golden bollocks me got for my share). He bought a nice cottage in the country with his win, & settled down to working properly, & that wonderful thing, recreational poker, aka poker for fun. 

By chance, we shared a Table on Sunday at DTD, & he looked as happy as I'd ever seen him. His Tourney game is stunning, too, & in Live Poker, even now, I'd willingly stake him against any field, he was making unbelievable reads.

It was Belly who really properly introduced me to Red, in Brighton I think. He gave me Red's Moby number, & it's still in my phone now under the same alias - "TAPS". TAPS = Thick As Pigs Shit. Go figure.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17477 on: February 12, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »

Mick's blogged twice recently but it looks like he's taking some time out to care for his labradar who is very ill. I like his blog, he certainly doesn't pussyfoot about..

Last one I saw was early January, yes?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #17478 on: February 12, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »

Last one I saw was early January, yes?

No mate. I just checked thanks to this thread and he's blogged yesterday.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17479 on: February 12, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »

And talking of congrats, Phil Quayle, aka Bobby1, who gave me such great steers early doors, is a Dad again. Happy Days.

It's not generrally realised that Phil was the first to give Thewy a break, when he signed him up to Wm Hill back in, I think, late '05.

And shortly after,Phil organized a   screen test for me on Wm Hill's TV Channel, "425".

I turned up for the screen test with zero confidence, which increased to 1% confidence when I realised I was the only candidate.

X years later, I have over 400 shows to my "credit", & 1,000 hours plus of Live TV, which is really something. And I'm still getting the bluff through.

Bobby1 has much to answer for, so blame him.

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #17480 on: February 12, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »

AGAIN....hell Phil, your just a love machine..  Congrats. xx

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17481 on: February 12, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »

Every economioc cycle, in every sphere, seems to follow the same route. Prudency, success, complacency, excess. So goes Football.

Players earn eye-watering sums, the TV Rights are £biillions, it costs an average £30 to watch a Premiership match. The players have become metaphors for debauchery, the WAGS a laughing stock, & the newly Ex-England Captain now has his name prefixed by "the disgraced".

The Taxman is on the Club's case - Southend, Exeter, Notts County, Portsmouth, Cardiff, & no doubt many more.

And the debts the clubs have is extraordinary, how many are technically insolvent, because when the crash comes - & it will - players, the "value" of which many debts are secured against, will tumble quicker than Drogba.

Do a bit of maths & work out how much, in aggregate, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Pompey, Man City, West Ham, Everton, Notts Co, & Cardiff owe.

Cardiff alone, not exactly a bastion of British football, are £36 million - £36 million! - in hock, after the spendthrift Ridsdale has worked his magic. If Liverpool miss the CL next year, the RBS will be all over them.

Meanwhile, Rugby & Tennis have got their house (financially) pretty much in order - for now - because they are run by people with brains. Can they escape the inevitable complacency & excess?

Meanwhile, in that other "sport", F1, Virgin now have a Race Team. That's the Virgin who's "Company Mission Statement" is to be green & enviromentally friendly. Except when running Airlines & F1 Teams. But the lorries which haul the cars thousands of miles from track to track have streamlined roofs, to save fuel & help "save the planet".

We is all mad.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17482 on: February 12, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »

lol, its funny you should say that Maureen, thats what I said. ;o)

I remember that screen test Tony, Row asked you if you had any good results recently and you said' yes, I played a big comp last night and I managed to finish third' 'How many runners? she asked

Str8 faced and dead pan you said '5'.

We did screen test another guy that had done some TV work too, his name was Ashley something, he was a bit OTT. I last saw him on some show where he had some metalwork done to his whotsit. Its a good job you didnt go to the wrong screen test that day mate.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17483 on: February 12, 2010, 06:32:47 PM »

I remember that screen test Tony, Row asked you if you had any good results recently and you said' yes, I played a big comp last night and I managed to finish third' 'How many runners? she asked

We did screen test another guy that had done some TV work too, his name was Ashley something, he was a bit OTT. I last saw him on some show where he had some metalwork done to his whotsit. Its a good job you didnt go to the wrong screen test that day mate.

Oh my word, I remember now! Ashley "I am TV's answer to Howard Stern" as I recall. Tough field I had to beat there.....weird how doors open & fate decides.

When Rhow asked that question, I did the deadpan thing, but I thought I'd blown it, because she believed it, & said "oh, wow, well done". I felt so bad about that, I really did, I had expected her to "come back" at me. Oh well, it worked. I lied, of course. there were 4 runners, not 5.

Pretty good news on Thewy, eh? Now you know what I wanted to discuss with you. Wink

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17484 on: February 12, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »

Oh my word, I remember now! Ashley "I am TV's answer to Howard Stern" as I recall. Tough field I had to beat there.....weird how doors open & fate decides.

When Rhow asked that question, I did the deadpan thing, but I thought I'd blown it, because she believed it, & said "oh, wow, well done". I felt so bad about that, I really did, I had expected her to "come back" at me. Oh well, it worked. I lied, of course. there were 4 runners, not 5.

Pretty good news on Thewy, eh? Now you know what I wanted to discuss with you. Wink

I did have an idea that it was something like that. Im really chuffed and it is so well deserved. The opportunities are hopefully endless now. Its like signing for Man Utd ito follow up your football example.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17485 on: February 12, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »

Bugger. I had about 20 Posts I wanted to make, but time has done me again, & I gotta start work now. And work is being paid to play poker. How good do I run?

Enjoy your Fruiday evening, whatever you do.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17486 on: February 13, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »

I forgot to include G2L in my "congrats" List, for winning the DTD Deepie. He looked thrilled when it was all over, & why not?

I've always liked the guy, but I confess when he was in his whinge-bucket phase, I found it hard to read his Posts, there was always a poor me/why me?/aaarrgghhh/fml  element. Now they are in the past, glory be.

He used to wear a hoodie a lot too. I don't know what it is about hoodies, especially oversize hoodies, at the poker table, but something about them sends me "don't like" vibes. At the weekend, he was hoodie-less, & you could almost kiss him, he's an "up" guy now.

Very well done Mr RP, & I hope you go on from here & realise your dream of becoming a pro.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #17487 on: February 13, 2010, 12:28:45 PM »

How's the knee?  You've not mentioned it yet today.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17488 on: February 13, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »

Kept me awake half the night, & it's sort of spread up to my thigh now, too.

It's MUCH worse than Tom's back.

pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17489 on: February 13, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »

Kept me awake half the night, & it's sort of spread up to my thigh now, too.

It's MUCH worse than Tom's back.

Ah but as Red says you have another knee.

Once his back has gone its gone!.

You can hop can't you?

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 1169 1170 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: