blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272885 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1436 1437 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 1443 1444 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6383368 times)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #21585 on: March 06, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »

The WSOP Media Accreditation Rules are a minefield, & get more difficult by the year.

Another new rule involves talking to players at the table.  There will be a zero tolerance policy in effect this year.  While you will be free to talk to players during breaks, conversations are strictly prohibited whenplayers are seated at a poker table. Please note, this prohibition will be strictly enforced regardless of whether a player is in a hand or not. This rule includes any manner of verbal or non-verbal communications with any player competing in any event.[/i]

Will this mean that if an updater doesn't know the name of a player in a hand they won't be allowed to just ask them?

also does this mean that if I was playing an event and tikay/snoops/floppy/dana/jen/etc walk past and I wave or say hi then they have to ignore me or risk losing their media pass?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21586 on: March 06, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »

Missed opportunity?

Sat in make-up, on the opposite side of the room, back to me, another guy is in make-up, too.

HIS make-up lady says to him "ooh, that's tikay, he's your man for poker, he's famous". (Shush).

I can't see him, except via the two mirrors, I can only hear him.

"Interested in poker m8?"

"Yes, I only play Charity Events when invited, but I love it, how do I sign up to your lot?"

I give the spiel, "Sky Poker.com, da de da".

He says, "yeah, I'll sign up tomorrow, thanks m8".

I manage, whilst under the make-up "cape" or pinafore thing, to get a business card out of my Pocket & he comes across as he exits & takes it. I say "bell me tomorrow mate, & I'll sort something out for you".

I say to his make-up lady, "who that, any idea, he on a Show tonight?"

She says "he's some Cricketer or summat, on Sky Sports tonight, Michael somebody I think, used to be a captain or something"......

Bugger bugger bugger. Bet it was Tim Henman, anyway.

Anyone know if Michael Vaughan is on Sky Sports tonight?

PS - Good luck Claire..........

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21587 on: March 06, 2011, 08:28:41 PM »

Vaughan doing ss2 cricket highlights show now. Sign up thriugh blonde pls

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21588 on: March 06, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »

Apple now claim 80% of the "Tablet" market, & that's set to go higher. Deservedly so, from what I gather, it is different class to the competition, & miles ahead, apparently.

So at what stage to the dumbschmuck headcases in the EU or wherever start their "anti-Competitive" rulings & fine Apple for being so successful, as they try to with Microsoft & google?

Apologies for responding to a post that's now 3 pages back but...

Today would be about 2 years late, IMHO. Microsoft sold various flavours of Windows and used various methods to try and kill competitors for their own apps. Apart from buying them up, their usual trick was to develop their own versions and then bundle them in Windows for free (browsers being the main point of contention). Of course this brought screams of protest from the original vendors of those apps as they saw their market share slashed. But Microsoft never stopped a purchaser of Windows installing other people's apps if they wanted to. Just made the average user not want to bother. For this they got done over by the EU.

The big difference with Apple is they insist on maintaining absolute control over what's installed on the piece of their hardware you have just bought. If you wanted to install a competitor app to an Apple one, there is no way you can do it (well, you can jailbreak it, but Apple do everything they can to prevent this). By insisting on only being able to install apps from their own App Store (TM Apple, if they get their way), and maintaining completely arbitrary rules as to what can be sold via the app store, including specifically anti-competitive rules, you don't have any option to go elsewhere.

As a software developer, I hate Apple with a passion. I could invest money developing an app for the iphone/ipad/desktop(soon), and then Apple could arbitrarily tell me that users aren't allowed to install it on the hardware that they have bought. And even if they accepted it into their store, they would take 30% of the purchase price for themselves, and there is no way round that. And if in the future they developed their own version of my app, they could then kick it out their app store. I can't believe they've got away with this behaviour for so long, frankly. I think the problem is that the average consumer doesn't see this as a problem. You don't have a problem with something you can't see.

I have to confess I own an Apple product. The last car I bought came with an IPod adaptor. There was no easy way to connect any other type of MP3 player, because Apple insist on using a proprietary connector, despite everybody else standardising ages ago. So I bought a second hand Gen3 IPod. Made me feel sick. Although I've avoided paying them any money via ITunes, which I'm happy with. I'd rather buy CDs. (Before someone pedantic tells me I could use an FM transmitter, yes, I know, but that would be a big faff).

Oh, and the 80% share of tablet market is most definitely not set to go higher. Fortunately. Not that there are any killer competitors yet (lot of Android tablets coming up), but market share for ipad is definitely heading downwards. Hard not to, given it started at close to 100%.

Fantastic Post, thank you Rex.

I know sod all about this market, but I eagerly consume all the industry news about it in the FT, especially as to Apple, & Mr Jobs.

The apps thing. This week's FT said something about thousands of Apps being available for Apple I-Pads, & only a handful available to all the non-Apple, & usually Android (google?) based Tablets. It makes more sense now having read your Post. It also mentioned that Apple make a nice "turn" on all Apps sold via their "Shop" - the only place you can buy them. Nice.

As a Business Model, in a way, that reminds me of Rolls Royce Areo Engines. They now make more money from maintaining their installed engine base, Aero & otherwise, then they do from new-build supply. So effectively, then can sell the actual engines at cost, below even, if they tie the buyer into a life-long maintenance deal.

Anyway, back to Apple, & Mr Jobs. Post more on the whole thing, please. As a random know-no-IT-lay person, I look at Mr Jobs, & Apple, with nothing but admiration for the sheer originality & quality of their products. You, as, it seems, an industry insider, think exactly the opposite.

More please.

Do Rolls Royce have competitors who lose sales to them purely because they don't have as good marketing and aren't as fanatically loved by the journalists who report on their products?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #21589 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »

just played the perfect telly hand.  [ ] was on the right side of it Smiley

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #21590 on: March 06, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »

Vaughan doing ss2 cricket highlights show now. Sign up thriugh blonde pls

Or Atherton? Or is he out there?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21591 on: March 06, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »

Athers in india

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21592 on: March 06, 2011, 10:26:53 PM »

Get a Power Monkey. I'd post the link but I'm on via the phone.

Effectively it's a power storage device, holds charge for a long time and recharges phones, ipods, laptops et al. Avoids the need to find a power socket to plug your charger into, and is easier to transport.

Never travel without mine.

Wow, that may be the answer.

Which of the particular products is the one I would need? See.....

https://powertraveller.com/

From where could I purchase one? I don't like buying stuff Online if I can help it.

Excellent! Thanks.

I think this is the one you need Tone. I think I'm gonna get me one.

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkeyclassic/

Thnks Tom. I can't see if it will fit an HTC Desire though?

If so, can you do me a favour, & order one for me too, please? I'll pick it up from you at your place, or when we next see each other.

If it fits an HTC Desire, I'm well pleased with that.

Good spot, David.

Do you want purple for £29.99 or black/blue/white/pink/silver for £34.99? (Guess which I'm having?)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:31:08 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #21593 on: March 06, 2011, 10:29:18 PM »

he'll take the purple - will go nicely with his scarf.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
doogan

View Profile
« Reply #21594 on: March 06, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »

pink

<--------------- prick
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #21595 on: March 07, 2011, 04:00:32 AM »

Apple now claim 80% of the "Tablet" market, & that's set to go higher. Deservedly so, from what I gather, it is different class to the competition, & miles ahead, apparently.

So at what stage to the dumbschmuck headcases in the EU or wherever start their "anti-Competitive" rulings & fine Apple for being so successful, as they try to with Microsoft & google?

Today would be about 2 years late, IMHO. Microsoft sold various flavours of Windows and used various methods to try and kill competitors for their own apps. Apart from buying them up, their usual trick was to develop their own versions and then bundle them in Windows for free (browsers being the main point of contention). Of course this brought screams of protest from the original vendors of those apps as they saw their market share slashed. But Microsoft never stopped a purchaser of Windows installing other people's apps if they wanted to. Just made the average user not want to bother. For this they got done over by the EU.

The big difference with Apple is they insist on maintaining absolute control over what's installed on the piece of their hardware you have just bought. If you wanted to install a competitor app to an Apple one, there is no way you can do it (well, you can jailbreak it, but Apple do everything they can to prevent this). By insisting on only being able to install apps from their own App Store (TM Apple, if they get their way), and maintaining completely arbitrary rules as to what can be sold via the app store, including specifically anti-competitive rules, you don't have any option to go elsewhere.

As a software developer, I hate Apple with a passion. I could invest money developing an app for the iphone/ipad/desktop(soon), and then Apple could arbitrarily tell me that users aren't allowed to install it on the hardware that they have bought. And even if they accepted it into their store, they would take 30% of the purchase price for themselves, and there is no way round that. And if in the future they developed their own version of my app, they could then kick it out their app store. I can't believe they've got away with this behaviour for so long, frankly. I think the problem is that the average consumer doesn't see this as a problem. You don't have a problem with something you can't see.

I have to confess I own an Apple product. The last car I bought came with an IPod adaptor. There was no easy way to connect any other type of MP3 player, because Apple insist on using a proprietary connector, despite everybody else standardising ages ago. So I bought a second hand Gen3 IPod. Made me feel sick. Although I've avoided paying them any money via ITunes, which I'm happy with. I'd rather buy CDs. (Before someone pedantic tells me I could use an FM transmitter, yes, I know, but that would be a big faff).

Oh, and the 80% share of tablet market is most definitely not set to go higher. Fortunately. Not that there are any killer competitors yet (lot of Android tablets coming up), but market share for ipad is definitely heading downwards. Hard not to, given it started at close to 100%.

Quite a good article along these lines on the guardian website http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/06/john-naughton-apple-dominates-market

I must say that as a consumer I have always loved the Apple products I have had.  They just seem to work so well.  My mac never freezes up or gives any problems and I have become one of the evangelists but I can see the issues from a business and developers point of view but can anyone argue that Microsoft are any better???  Linux FTW?Huh?  never tried it but seems great from a moralistic point of view.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21596 on: March 07, 2011, 05:52:58 AM »

Quite a good article along these lines on the guardian website http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/06/john-naughton-apple-dominates-market

I must say that as a consumer I have always loved the Apple products I have had.  They just seem to work so well.  My mac never freezes up or gives any problems and I have become one of the evangelists but I can see the issues from a business and developers point of view but can anyone argue that Microsoft are any better???  Linux FTW?Huh?  never tried it but seems great from a moralistic point of view.

Well yes, Microsoft are better - if only slightly.

From the anti competitiveness point of view there aim was to use their virtual monopoly to create other ones (such as in internet browsing) by giving you free things.

Apple's strategy is to use their virtual monopoly to create more virtual monopolies by absolute autocratic control and charging every one at every point from the developer to the consumer as much as they can for it.

Microsoft may have been a dictatorship - but at least it was a benign one.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21597 on: March 07, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »

Well yes, Microsoft are better - if only slightly.

From the anti competitiveness point of view there aim was to use their virtual monopoly to create other ones (such as in internet browsing) by giving you free things.

Apple's strategy is to use their virtual monopoly to create more virtual monopolies by absolute autocratic control and charging every one at every point from the developer to the consumer as much as they can for it.

Microsoft may have been a dictatorship - but at least it was a benign one.

Very eloquently argued, if I may say so.

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21598 on: March 07, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »

Tikay, you can get spare batteries on ebay for your phone for less than a fiver.  Get a couple, and a desktop charger that can charge the phone and a spare battery at the same time.

Also worth getting an app like 'Juice Defender' to help maximise your battery life.  Makes a huge difference.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21599 on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »

Get a Power Monkey. I'd post the link but I'm on via the phone.

Effectively it's a power storage device, holds charge for a long time and recharges phones, ipods, laptops et al. Avoids the need to find a power socket to plug your charger into, and is easier to transport.

Never travel without mine.

Wow, that may be the answer.

Which of the particular products is the one I would need? See.....

https://powertraveller.com/

From where could I purchase one? I don't like buying stuff Online if I can help it.

Excellent! Thanks.

I think this is the one you need Tone. I think I'm gonna get me one.

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkeyclassic/

Thnks Tom. I can't see if it will fit an HTC Desire though?

If so, can you do me a favour, & order one for me too, please? I'll pick it up from you at your place, or when we next see each other.

If it fits an HTC Desire, I'm well pleased with that.

Good spot, David.

Do you want purple for £29.99 or black/blue/white/pink/silver for £34.99? (Guess which I'm having?)

Not fussed which colour Tom.  Go ahead, make my day.

Just order whatever is easiest/quickest, please, & I'll collect it/settle up when I see you next.

Thanks.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 1436 1437 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 1443 1444 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: