blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:41:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 1440 1441 [1442] 1443 1444 1445 1446 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6332159 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21615 on: March 07, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »

I'd have been pretty devastated if I'd come back from the WSOP and seen the updates just referred to me as 'anonymous' or 'unknown'.

But I think you're right, it does seem like there's no room for maneuver.

Possibly so, but how does reading your name on an Update - or not - help Harrah's - sorry, Caesars Entertainment as they are now re-invented - to monetise the WSOP? I can't imagine they give a monkeys. They only run the WSOP for one single reason - to make money. And why not?

May I also ask, is "maneuver" intended to be the same word as "maneouvre"? I have google'd both, & they seem to be the same thing. Almost. Ish.

spell check fail - I knew it was wrong cba to fix it

'cept it's not wrong. it's a screwy word that's got 3 (arguably 4) valid spellings as it's evolved from the original french

Hence my confusion/question.

Well done on "in before MereGeekWordPedant".

The approved English (UK) spelling is manoeuvre.
The Americans may spell it maneuver (or use other variants) but I don't think that we should assess our spelling based on US usage, should we?

Her Majesty The Queen uses "manoeuvre". That'll do for me.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21616 on: March 07, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »

I've almost decided to start taking a daily dose of Aspirin. Not to cure any ailment, but more & more I become convinced that it is really a clever & useful thing.

It's gone in & out of fashion more times than enough - it's good for you, it's bad for you, dum de dum - but on balance, & as with everything, all things in moderation, it might just be the greatest.   

There was a great piece about it on the wireless last night - it was first patented by Bayer, of all peeps, back in 1890 something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21617 on: March 07, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »

I've almost decided to start taking a daily dose of Aspirin. Not to cure any ailment, but more & more I become convinced that it is really a clever & useful thing.

It's gone in & out of fashion more times than enough - it's good for you, it's bad for you, dum de dum - but on balance, & as with everything, all things in moderation, it might just be the greatest.   

There was a great piece about it on the wireless last night - it was first patented by Bayer, of all peeps, back in 1890 something.

I hear that cod liver oil is good for you, too. Will you be taking any of that?

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21618 on: March 07, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »

Nothing cod liver oil could do would induce me to take it.

Does it really come from the livers of Cod? Why not from the livers of haddock, or skate, or herrings?

MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21619 on: March 07, 2011, 02:50:25 PM »

Does it really come from the livers of Cod? Why not from the livers of haddock, or skate, or herrings?

Just cod, apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_liver_oil

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #21620 on: March 07, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »

pretty sure cod liver oil doesn't come from cod liver. at least for the 18 months I spent in the cod business we never once removed their livers nor had anyone ask us to

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #21621 on: March 07, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »

I'd have been pretty devastated if I'd come back from the WSOP and seen the updates just referred to me as 'anonymous' or 'unknown'.

But I think you're right, it does seem like there's no room for maneuver.

Possibly so, but how does reading your name on an Update - or not - help Harrah's - sorry, Caesars Entertainment as they are now re-invented - to monetise the WSOP? I can't imagine they give a monkeys. They only run the WSOP for one single reason - to make money. And why not?

May I also ask, is "maneuver" intended to be the same word as "maneouvre"? I have google'd both, & they seem to be the same thing. Almost. Ish.

Both related to manoeuvre presumably.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #21622 on: March 07, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »

but I don't think that we should assess our spelling based on US usage, should we?

I'm not so fussed as long as we don't start slipping rogue Zs into words. I tend to use american spellings when playing games on sporcle as they're often shorter so save time

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21623 on: March 07, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »

They sell it in little tablets now. I take it in a combined Calcium/Cod liver Oil pill, although I don't know whether the stuff actually works or not.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Machka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21624 on: March 07, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

Smartphone battery life. I had an e-Mail from a guy next door - "machka", aka Aaron Gale - who is a bit IT geeky, & very helpful.

He said....

Battery life on your phone – check if GPS is switched on, I can’t see that you need to use it and it really drains the battery a lot.  I can use my HTC for a day+ on a single charge.

I think my GPS IS switched on. Do I need it on, what does it do? Is it like a Tom-Tom?

Couldn't find the menu button, lol. ;-)

GPS is the feature on your phone picking up the signals from the GPS satellites to pinpoint your location.  You only need it on if you are using something like Google Navigation for SatNav.

I'll take a look at juice defender myself, but I think understanding about when you need GPS on and off and stopping unnecessary tasks (I'll show you at Luton) from running will sort you out.

Oh, look, there goes my first proper post!
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21625 on: March 07, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »

In one of his songs, Stephin Merrit of The Magnetic Fields rhymed manoeuvre with hoover and Louvre in the same verse.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #21626 on: March 07, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »

Epic fail if u can't get the word groover  in as well

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21627 on: March 11, 2011, 10:15:20 AM »

Put http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12710020 on tikay

Incredible scenes. Harrowing and astonishing in equal measures

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #21628 on: March 11, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »

They sell it in little tablets now. I take it in a combined Calcium/Cod liver Oil pill, although I don't know whether the stuff actually works or not.

Is it supposed to have restorative powers?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21629 on: March 11, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »

Is it supposed to have restorative powers?

Nah, just maintain supple bones and joints and that sort of nonsense. My left shoulder joint is pretty much F'ed but this seems to help..though it might just be excersise. Who knows, some scientific studies claim that cod liver oil helps and the calcium thing is supposed to be good as well..... it can't hurt I guess.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 1440 1441 [1442] 1443 1444 1445 1446 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: