blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:06:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 1439 1440 [1441] 1442 1443 1444 1445 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6365965 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21600 on: March 07, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »

Smartphone battery life. I had an e-Mail from a guy next door - "machka", aka Aaron Gale - who is a bit IT geeky, & very helpful.

He said....

Battery life on your phone – check if GPS is switched on, I can’t see that you need to use it and it really drains the battery a lot.  I can use my HTC for a day+ on a single charge.

I think my GPS IS switched on. Do I need it on, what does it do? Is it like a Tom-Tom?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21601 on: March 07, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »

Tikay, you can get spare batteries on ebay for your phone for less than a fiver.  Get a couple, and a desktop charger that can charge the phone and a spare battery at the same time.

Also worth getting an app like 'Juice Defender' to help maximise your battery life.  Makes a huge difference.

Thanks Kin.

e-bay? Explain, pls.

The "Juice Defender" app? Mackka is going to sort out my phone on Saturday, at SPT Luton, so I'll mention that to him. Thank you.

PS - How you get on at DTD? Not had time to look, sorry.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21602 on: March 07, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »

Oh, and my Dad is doing ok, thanks for asking, a few down moments etc, bound to be the case, he is booked to go to Malta on the 14th for a fortnight, so hopefully that will help him a bit.

He has a great son though, that looks after him as much as he can. Wink

I'm glad to hear that, Vinni. Look after him mate.

Far & away the greatest single loss in my life, nothing comes near, was the loss of my Dad. Afterwards, I so wished I'd spent more time with him, even though I was rarely far from his side.

I hope that does not sound too dark, or gloomy, but you know what I'm trying to say.

Until someone loses a parent, nobody can ever explain the pain.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21603 on: March 07, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »

OK, enough, I have to go to work now. Been a pleasant & restful Sunday, & I hope it's been the same for all of you, too.

Tonight's Show (spam alert....) features the £55 PRIMO, which starts at EIGHT  PM, but the Show does not begin until NINE PM.

There is also a Viva Las Vegas Semi-Final tonight, which we'll try & follow a bit on the Show, as well. Vegas, oooooh......

PS - 19 runners already for tonight's VLV Semi - a few familiar names there, too, including THREE players who won VLV packages in previous years, (KidGirlGy, Penguin7, & MaggiesDad) & a few blondes, too.

beaneh 2500   
blueyepete 2500   
ChirpyChip 2500   
Direwolf 2500   
Hebbie 2500   
hurst05 2500   
JAEGERBOMB 2500   
JULES434 2500   
kidgirlgy 2500   
LIAM5KING 2500   
Maggiesdad 2500   
mogsy1957 2500   
NoFinAce 2500   
penguin7 2500   
raffles65 2500   
rustyy123 2500   
SoLack 2500   
Soulcrush 2500   
swordsyboy 2500   

This ended up with 28 runners, so two x £1,100 Grand Final Seats, & £880 to third.

The two seats went to "russty" & "soulcrush", & the £880 went to none other than "beaneh", aka Tiltbeam himself. Well done him & them.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21604 on: March 07, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

The WSOP Media Accreditation Rules are a minefield, & get more difficult by the year.

Another new rule involves talking to players at the table.  There will be a zero tolerance policy in effect this year.  While you will be free to talk to players during breaks, conversations are strictly prohibited whenplayers are seated at a poker table. Please note, this prohibition will be strictly enforced regardless of whether a player is in a hand or not. This rule includes any manner of verbal or non-verbal communications with any player competing in any event.[/i]

Will this mean that if an updater doesn't know the name of a player in a hand they won't be allowed to just ask them?

also does this mean that if I was playing an event and tikay/snoops/floppy/dana/jen/etc walk past and I wave or say hi then they have to ignore me or risk losing their media pass?

In reply to JonMW, too, & others who commented.

Well you've seen the Rule, & the warning as to how strictly they enforce it. Interpretation is key, but it seems to me there is not much room for maneouvre.

I guess it will be policed by the Dealers, who will call "floor" if they see an Updater chatting to a player. Guess I'll have to spend plenty of time in the Dealers break-out area, dispensing copious amounts of cooey-wooey.

We discussed the whole thing on last night's Show. Blimey, it did'nt half arouse some passion & heat. Thing is, like it or not, it's Harrah's train set, & so they can do what they bloody well want. And if we don't like it, we don't have to attend. Harsh, but true. It is what it is.

A bummer, though.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21605 on: March 07, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »

Tikay, you can get spare batteries on ebay for your phone for less than a fiver.  Get a couple, and a desktop charger that can charge the phone and a spare battery at the same time.

Also worth getting an app like 'Juice Defender' to help maximise your battery life.  Makes a huge difference.

Thanks Kin.

e-bay? Explain, pls.

It's an online auction/shopping website.  Quite a popular one.

The "Juice Defender" app? Mackka is going to sort out my phone on Saturday, at SPT Luton, so I'll mention that to him. Thank you.

I use that and an app called 'Tasker' to manage a lot of the settings on my phone.  GPS is always switched off, unless I open the maps app, and then Tasker automatically turns the GPS on (and then switches it off when I close the map).  Juice Defender controls all sorts of things - but the main one for me is that when the screen goes off (and therefore you're not using your phone) it switches off the wifi/auto-sync and lowers CPU usage, and can be set to switch them on periodically to check for new email etc. during this time.  Quite a clever app and if you're not on your phone all the time, you can get the battery to last a whole day.

PS - How you get on at DTD? Not had time to look, sorry.

21st for a min-cash.  Had a bit of luck to get that far, but then it ran out when I shoved my short stack into aces! 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21606 on: March 07, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »

I'd have been pretty devastated if I'd come back from the WSOP and seen the updates just referred to me as 'anonymous' or 'unknown'.

But I think you're right, it does seem like there's no room for maneuver.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21607 on: March 07, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »

I'd have been pretty devastated if I'd come back from the WSOP and seen the updates just referred to me as 'anonymous' or 'unknown'.

Possibly so, but how does reading your name on an Update - or not - help Harrah's - sorry, Caesars Entertainment as they are now re-invented - to monetise the WSOP? I can't imagine they give a monkeys. They only run the WSOP for one single reason - to make money. And why not?

May I also ask, is "maneuver" intended to be the same word as "maneouvre"? I have google'd both, & they seem to be the same thing. Almost. Ish.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21608 on: March 07, 2011, 01:42:24 PM »

Possibly so, but how does reading your name on an Update - or not - help Harrah's - sorry, Caesars Entertainment as they are now re-invented - to monetise the WSOP? I can't imagine they give a monkeys. They only run the WSOP for one single reason - to make money. And why not?

May I also ask, is "maneuver" intended to be the same word as "maneouvre"? I have google'd both, & they seem to be the same thing. Almost. Ish.

spell check fail - I knew it was wrong cba to fix it

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #21609 on: March 07, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »

'cept it's not wrong. it's a screwy word that's got 3 (arguably 4) valid spellings as it's evolved from the original french

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21610 on: March 07, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »

'cept it's not wrong. it's a screwy word that's got 3 (arguably 4) valid spellings as it's evolved from the original french

Hence my confusion/question.

Well done on "in before MereGeekWordPedant".

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #21611 on: March 07, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »

despite it having 4 valid spellings it's one of very few words that I have to check every time I use. should be easy to get right when you've got 4 shots at it but I still manage to come up with a 5th version

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21612 on: March 07, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »

despite it having 4 valid spellings it's one of very few words that I have to check every time I use. should be easy to get right when you've got 4 shots at it but I still manage to come up with a 5th version

That one was the third variant and they all looked wrong, that's why I gave up trying to get it 'right'

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21613 on: March 07, 2011, 02:28:39 PM »

It's wonderfully odd & almost cute that you are so fussy & "correct", (in every sense) as to spelling, & so cba as to grammatical correctitude.

MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21614 on: March 07, 2011, 02:31:39 PM »

Hence my confusion/question.

Well done on "in before MereGeekWordPedant".

The approved English (UK) spelling is manoeuvre.
The Americans may spell it maneuver (or use other variants) but I don't think that we should assess our spelling based on US usage, should we?

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 1439 1440 [1441] 1442 1443 1444 1445 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: