blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3181 3182 3183 3184 [3185] 3186 3187 3188 3189 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6366210 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47760 on: January 11, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »

thought you might be interested in this

one of those people you might be unaware of but then you read up....

"Clare Hollingworth dies aged 105: Telegraph correspondent who broke the news of WWII passes away in Hong Kong"

look what happened on her first week in the job....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Hollingworth

Gasp, I'm lost for words.

105 years old, done all that, & I'd never heard of her. How ignorant am I?

Same with that Francis Burton fella that Tal mentioned a few days ago.

There are - or were - some extraordinary people around. Do they make folks like that these days?

We should have a blonde thread "Remarkable people you have never heard of".

I bet I visit Wiki 20 times a day when I see these sort of names crop up in the news.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47761 on: January 11, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »

Just sitting here watching Restoration Man - The Water Tower episode. A couple restore a water tower in Yorkshire into a fantastic home for themselves. Well worth a watch and right up your street Tikay. Talks all about the Carlisle railway line and its history.

Fascinating programme and well worth a watch.

Thanks Omm.

I'm not really into these restoration programmes, or "Grand Designs" bollox, but that looks like it is worth a watch.

Hope you are keeping well, & UKOPS was not too expensive for you.

On the subject of poker, remarkably, I have taken up NLH again, after 7 or 8 years of exclusively playing Omaha variants. It's been "quite testing" so far, but I'm getting there. Slowly. And expensively.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47762 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:45 AM »

I got to thinking yesterday of how those from foreign parts, especially, say, Eastern Europe or Asia, come to read & speak English so well.

Imagine how they struggle to grasp the various meanings & pronunciations of even the smallest of words. 

Take this word, for example.

Bow

Pronounced "Bo", it can be what you propel an arrow with, play a violin with, tie a knot with, a hairstyle, or a tie, as in Bow Tie.

Pronounced bOW, it can be a place in East London, the front of a boat, or what one does when one meets The Queen, or Sir Michael O'Leary.

Or, still pronounced bOW, but spelt "bough" (how CAN it be spelt so differently?) it can be the larger branch of a tree.

God knows how other folks learn English, never mind 20 or 30 other languages.   

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #47763 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »

I read about Clare Hollingworth earier today. I too hadn't heard of her. Incredible scoop for a rookie reporter.

Should you feel sad about a tree falling? Well I do about that old fella.

I've been meaning to post you a couple of photo's Tony. I took them late Dec. I'm sure you know about it as you know most things train wise. Bangkok has a fabulous train system which runs over the City on concrete pillars. It's aptly named the Sky train. Look how diligently the passengers wait behind the lines and follow the arrows leading them on and off the train.

Incidently it has a metro too which I used for the first time this trip.

Click to see full-size image.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #47764 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #47765 on: January 11, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »

This Metro destination sign made me laugh. I know small minds.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #47766 on: January 11, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTS_Skytrain

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47767 on: January 12, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »

I read about Clare Hollingworth earier today. I too hadn't heard of her. Incredible scoop for a rookie reporter.

Should you feel sad about a tree falling? Well I do about that old fella.

I've been meaning to post you a couple of photo's Tony. I took them late Dec. I'm sure you know about it as you know most things train wise. Bangkok has a fabulous train system which runs over the City on concrete pillars. It's aptly named the Sky train. Look how diligently the passengers wait behind the lines and follow the arrows leading them on and off the train.

Incidently it has a metro too which I used for the first time this trip.

Good stuff Kev, thanks.

I am guessing that the arrows coincide with the exact position of the doors once the SkyTrain stops.

We have that in London, as it happens, on the Jubilee Line, where Platform Screen Doors (PSD's or PED's) are fitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_screen_doors

The new Crossrail stations will have them, too.

How long were you out there for, & did you ever get to meet Sue?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:05:39 AM by tikay » Logged

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #47768 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »

Joo didn't want to meet Sue unfortunately. πŸ˜†

We came out here on 28th, currently in Chiang Mai Northern Thailand. This is our next to last stop, that being Koh Samui. Have also visited Siem Reap and Phnom Penh in Cambodia. Took in the Khmer Rouge Genocide tours which are pretty horrific. From there we travelled to Penang in Malaysia before coming here. Back to blighty on 23rd.

Anyway have a great 2017.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47769 on: January 12, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »

We came out here on 28th, currently in Chiang Mai Northern Thailand. This is our next to last stop, that being Koh Samui. Have also visited Siem Reap and Phnom Penh in Cambodia. Took in the Khmer Rouge Genocide tours which are pretty horrific. From there we travelled to Penang in Malaysia before coming here. Back to blighty on 23rd.

That's just a fabulous trip Kev. I'm well jell.

The older I get, the better I was.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #47770 on: January 12, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »

That's just a fabulous trip Kev. I'm well jell.

TY Tom. We are loving it. Some places we have visited before but stopping in different locations. Cambodia and Malaysia are new to us. All of them fascinating in their own way. Thailand and it's people, and it's food still my favourite.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #47771 on: January 12, 2017, 05:43:32 PM »

Thought you'd like this, Tikay.

Saw it on Yahoo originally, and some of the comments really made me chuckle.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47772 on: January 12, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »

Incredible

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47773 on: January 14, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »

Thought you'd like this, Tikay.

Saw it on Yahoo originally, and some of the comments really made me chuckle.

Enjoyed that, young Marky.

The first pass is hot, liquid macadam, then granite chippings, then it gets rolled Easy peasy.

Not sure how the drivers of the first pass lorries manage to keep his vehicle so straight. Front wheel steering, & going in reverse is notoriously difficult to keep bang straight.   

It must be Heaven for the surfacing contractor in those deserted parts of the world, long straight roads, no street furniture, obelisks, kerbs, bends, or parked cars.  Not so sure it is quite so easy in more populated areas.

They used that system in my youth over here, probably still do, & it was an annual highlight for us kids, who enjoyed the wonderful smell of hot macadam.

As an aside, unrelated but sort of related, Grandma Angell used to send us to stand by the local Gas Works when we had a chesty cough. She reckoned the smell of Town Gas was "good for your chest".

This was the same woman who convinced me - & I believed this until quite late in life - "never eat a banana before you have a bath, or you'll drown".

It's entirely possible I may have been a shade naΓ―ve at the time.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47774 on: January 14, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »

Quite sad to hear of the death of Lord Snowdon.

When I was in my early & adolescent years, he was quite the personality, & we thrilled at the thought of this (almost) commoner marrying into Royalty.

As time went on, I admired him for all the wrong reasons really. Proper raffish, & if it moved, he shagged it.

Someone once wrote of him, "when it comes to infidelity, the earl has no peer", which was rather clever I thought.

For all his faults & indiscretions with various females, I rather liked him.

He designed the Aviary at London Zoo. 

He had polio as a youngster, & as a result, he had a bad limp, which worsened with age. No surprise then that he took great issue with the organisers of the Chelsea Flower Show, who, at the time, discouraged those in wheelchairs, or with physical handicaps, from visiting. "We have no facilities for you here, stay away". Extraordinary, when you think about it. Anyway, Lord S set up a Charity, & worked tirelessly for those with disabilities. For one so financially well-endowed, that bestows great credit on him.

He helped pioneer mass production of motorised wheelchairs, too. Decades later, he ended up having to use one. 

Stunningly good-looking, sauve, well-dressed, he was, to me, in a weird way, something of a hero.

He reminded me, in his looks, his wonderful style of clothes, & super cool-ness, of Bryan Ferry actually.   

Not sure if he was a good bad man, or a bad good man, but I liked him.

Pages: 1 ... 3181 3182 3183 3184 [3185] 3186 3187 3188 3189 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: