blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:08:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1171 1172 1173 1174 [1175] 1176 1177 1178 1179 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6331737 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #17610 on: February 17, 2010, 02:42:07 PM »

I'll settle for the instant gratification thanks.

Click to see full-size image.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17611 on: February 17, 2010, 02:55:13 PM »

Lost is "pish & instant gratification"? Yes - I mean no - I'm sure you are right, & I'll take your word for it. I've never watched it, & never will, but it was wrong to so generalise.  I just struggle with fictiony stuff when the real world has so many wonders.

You ever boned up on this stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pylon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA - in which they tell you eveything EXCEPT the purpose of "junk DNA". Which of course is not "junk" at all, they just don't know what it does, so they conveniently describe it as "junk", just as I categorize Lost so wrongly.

Or this beaut, which, in discussing the sexual lives of the Mallard duck species, get into "gang rape & necrophilia".

http://www.reddit.com/r/wikipedia/comments/9955s/the_breeding_behaviour_of_the_mallard_duck_gang/

And it's a long way from ducks to "That is some gangsta ass shit", but it manages it somehow.

Each to their own, & yes, I as wrong to so describe that stuff as I did.

"Each to their own" would have been better.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:01:45 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17612 on: February 17, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »

lost may well be pish but it is most certainly not instant gratification

exactly what I was going to say (apart from the pish bit). nothing could be further from instant gratification

I thought reader's digest went outof business years ago, don't think I've ever seen a copy less than 7 or 8 years ole

Me too, but not the case, it seems.

The Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia & Ukraine editions are particularly popular, I gather.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17613 on: February 17, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »

lost may well be pish but it is most certainly not instant gratification, the very opposite in fact. i'm not sure how you can have an opinion on it when you don't watch or read fiction, apart from dick francis of course Wink i wonder if you would like the wire? one day you might be at a loose end and have the opportunity to watch a few episodes, you might find it well worth it.

I've not seen The Wire yet, but it's been highly recommended to me by a number of people.  So I've got the whole of the first series ready to watch.  Reckon I'll be impressed Byron?  It's not Z-Cars I know, but I'm sure it's good.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #17614 on: February 17, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »

lost may well be pish but it is most certainly not instant gratification, the very opposite in fact. i'm not sure how you can have an opinion on it when you don't watch or read fiction, apart from dick francis of course Wink i wonder if you would like the wire? one day you might be at a loose end and have the opportunity to watch a few episodes, you might find it well worth it.

I've not seen The Wire yet, but it's been highly recommended to me by a number of people.  So I've got the whole of the first series ready to watch.  Reckon I'll be impressed Byron?  It's not Z-Cars I know, but I'm sure it's good.

it starts slowly, i didn't really really like it until series 2, i would suggest having subtitles on if you find you do not understand some dialogue, obv not as good as z cars, enjoy
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17615 on: February 17, 2010, 03:25:45 PM »

In a moment of guilty conscience, as I was so rude about Lost, I've added it to my Bucket List, & not at the bottom, either. It comes in at # 23,593.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17616 on: February 17, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »

In a moment of guilty conscience, as I was so rude about Lost, I've added it to my Bucket List, & not at the bottom, either. It comes in at # 23,593.

I've never watched Lost either.  But I'll withhold judgement on it until I do Wink

I am a fan of 24 though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
HOLDorFOLD

View Profile
« Reply #17617 on: February 17, 2010, 03:28:48 PM »

Breaking Bad - add this one to your list

“Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.”  Ralph Waldo Emerson
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #17618 on: February 17, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »

quack quack
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17619 on: February 17, 2010, 03:41:44 PM »

Lost returned to our screens recently, and I was forced (By the girls) to watch the "Catch up special"

Highlights from the past 6 years, crammed into a one hour programme.

It still wasn't worth watching.....

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17620 on: February 17, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »

Lost returned to our screens recently, and I was forced (By the girls) to watch the "Catch up special"

They could get 6 years worth into 1 hour?

Try getting 6 years worth of electricity pylon data into one hour.

Say no more.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #17621 on: February 17, 2010, 04:04:06 PM »

They could get 6 years worth into 1 hour?

Try getting 6 years worth of electricity pylon data into one hour.

Say no more.

Or 6 years worth of Lady GaGa pics in to 1 hour.....

That'd be one hell of a frantic hour. Perhaps I'll bone up on some of that stuff later....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17622 on: February 17, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA - in which they tell you eveything EXCEPT the purpose of "junk DNA". Which of course is not "junk" at all, they just don't know what it does, so they conveniently describe it as "junk", just as I categorize Lost so wrongly.
It has it's own very interesting page.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17623 on: February 17, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »

It has it's own very interesting page.

Superb, not seen that before.

I don't like the alternative "dark matter" description any more than "junk", but I think "noncoding" seems better.

I'm almost obsessed with the wonder of DNA, but my interest was kindled in a most peculiar way - by watching the TV coverage of O J Simpson's Trial, which was, imo, almost the greatest TV I've ever seen. wholly compelling, & I never missed a second of it. Nearly as good as Lost, no doubt.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17624 on: February 17, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »

The amount of viral DNA in the human genome is very interesting too:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527451.200-i-virus-why-youre-only-half-human.html?full=true

Pages: 1 ... 1171 1172 1173 1174 [1175] 1176 1177 1178 1179 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: