blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2424 2425 2426 2427 [2428] 2429 2430 2431 2432 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296072 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36405 on: January 31, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »

Tikay,

Have you read For Richer, For Poorer : A Love Affair with Poker by Victoria Coren ?

I really enjoyed it and think you might too. I have finished with my copy and could send it to you if you so wish ?

Thanks Lisa, and yes, I've read it - twice actually.

I must tell you, even though I'm sure a few people will misinterpret it, but I'm a tremendous admirer of Miss Coren, in almost every which way. I'm talking as a person, not "sex-based", I just respect everything about her. She is prone, at times, to play poker without bothering to wear make up, or fix her hair. I hope this does not come across the wrong way, but I adore her for that.

Her writing, newspaper articles, her TV work, her appearances on HIGNFY, her poker abilities - quite a thing for a young lady to win an EPT, you know - my respect for her is immense. Sharing a poker table with Vicky - which I've probably only done 2 or 3 times - is the greatest fun ever, too, she has such an interesting personna. I'm almost fixated by her, though not in a bad or sinister way. We are, I suppose, more acquaintances than friends, though to me, I use the old-fashioned definition of "friend", not the modern Facebook version.

Her Dad, now sadly passed on, was an astonishingly perceptive & witty writer, & great on the wireless, too, & he must have been so proud of here. She has a brother, Giles I think, he's quite a character, too.

I'm not a lurker in the modern sense, but I avidly read everything she writes, everywhere.

I'm working very hard to get certain "faces" to play the UKPC, & doing just fine, but I can tell you, if Vicky is there, I'll be chuffed to bits.

"Respect" does not seem to have a place in poker these days, but my respect for her is enormous.

Meanwhile, more on the Vicky front later, if I dare, but that won't be quite so nice to read......
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:03:39 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36406 on: January 31, 2014, 12:04:19 PM »

Ooh, Mr Raab in the thread - will reply to his Post next.

Don't go away, JR!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36407 on: January 31, 2014, 12:06:08 PM »

Tikay,

Have you read For Richer, For Poorer : A Love Affair with Poker by Victoria Coren ?

I really enjoyed it and think you might too. I have finished with my copy and could send it to you if you so wish ?

Can it wait until he's watched Breaking Bad?

That'd be a long wait, Tom. Very long.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36408 on: January 31, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »

In case you missed it Tony, some exciting train news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25145632

This really excites me too. The exploits of the Urban Explorers (some of whom who managed to sneak into the Mail Rail a couple of years ago) are fascinating and much of what they are doing is related to trains, in particular getting into disused underground stations, tunnels and such like. The secret world beneath our feet includes lost rivers, underground stations, catacombs, sewers, bunkers and various other oddments. Urban geography yay!

Morning JR.

I had to google "Urban Expolorers" for starters, never heard of them.

http://www.urbanexplorers.net/

As to the "Mail Rail" opening to the public, you can have an even Ten Shllings with me it will never happen. H & S on Railways is horrendously strict. Try getting that past these people, good luck with that.....

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1210

Anyway, more to the point, how is life with you these days? You still with that up & coming Poker Site?

We've shared some fun, & adventures, down the years, you & me, especially the Usual Suspects thing. Can you name those "Usual Suspects"? What a great night we had to start that, in Trafalger Square, when Sir Clive Sinclair dropped in & promptly fell asleep with a glass of malt whiskey in his hand.

What are your views on your baby - the GUKPT - as to how it has grown up after you nursed it from the cradle?

Hope all is good with you & yours, & be good to hook up soon & have a latte.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36409 on: January 31, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »

In case you missed it Tony, some exciting train news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25145632

This really excites me too. The exploits of the Urban Explorers (some of whom who managed to sneak into the Mail Rail a couple of years ago) are fascinating and much of what they are doing is related to trains, in particular getting into disused underground stations, tunnels and such like. The secret world beneath our feet includes lost rivers, underground stations, catacombs, sewers, bunkers and various other oddments. Urban geography yay!

Morning JR.

I had to google "Urban Expolorers" for starters, never heard of them.

http://www.urbanexplorers.net/

As to the "Mail Rail" opening to the public, you can have an even Ten Shllings with me it will never happen. H & S on Railways is horrendously strict. Try getting that past these people, good luck with that.....

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1210

Anyway, more to the point, how is life with you these days? You still with that up & coming Poker Site?

We've shared some fun, & adventures, down the years, you & me, especially the Usual Suspects thing.

Can you name those "Usual Suspects"?

What a great night we had to start that, in Trafalger Square, when Sir Clive Sinclair dropped in & promptly fell asleep with a glass of malt whiskey in his hand.

What are your views on your baby - the GUKPT - as to how it has grown up after you nursed it from the cradle?

Hope all is good with you & yours, & be good to hook up soon & have a latte.

Wow, I just had to google that, some memories there, that bunch of folks went all sorts of different directions, eh?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36410 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »

Tikay, I reckon two subjects you would have some passing familiarity with would be 1979 and TV. Let's say to the extent you wouldn't feel uncomfortable conversing about them over a chilled beverage with an inquisitive accomplice.

Just watched this on one of the old Top of the Pops episodes on BBC FOUR:

My question is: how much of that would happen, if TOTP were to be brought back?

I'm going with under 3%

The older presenter (Mike Read?) getting two awkward looking younger girls to kiss him on the cheek simultaneously? "Slower".... Errrr...No

The dancing girls of Legs and Co? (Seriously, what was that all about?!) No

The horrendous miming at the start on whatever instrument that is the lead fellow is tapping away at. No.

The outfits? The coordination? The bizarre antics of the man on bongos? Nope

How about the song? My Soundhound app struggled to find out what it was, it was that bad. Don't get me wrong, it was still better than anything featuring FloRida. It's important I get that across in case I get accused of losing perspective. My aunt Ada makes a noise when she gets out of her chair that's more pleasing to the ear than his bottywash excuse for a record collection.

Anyway, I digress. Point was, times have changed, innit?

Anyway, Two Man Sound was shortly followed by Passenger 67...blimey...

Jeez, I could write a book about that.

At the time Pop Music, which sort of began (for me) with the pirate radio stations, was in it's infancy, so yeah, viewed/listened now, it's prety naff I suppose, though the Beatles work, or some of it, has held up well, ditto The Eagles amongst others.

Legs & Co were outrageous at the time, really edgey.

It is all about how times have changed, really.

And they have, faster, & more comprehensively, than at any other period in the history of the human race. We've had Ice Ages, Iron Ages, industrial revolutions, etc. They all had lengthy gestations. But the internet has been around, what, 20 odd years, & has changed everything, or it has for the so-called modern world, not so much yet for the emerging Nations & "Third World" people.

Much of it is good, wonderful even, some of it, no. It empowers us all, for better or worse.

I tried to engage in a debate a few days ago, & Posted one line, about 6 or 8 words, totally logically, too. The guy, who I have never, as far as I know, met, immediately tells me I remind him of someone who is opinionated, clinical (?) & moans a lot. His Grandad, actually. So much for respect for his family elders. Does that even still exist today? I honestly don't know.

Which, all things considered, was a tad rich, I thought, coming from who it did. But the Internet allows that, it has changed human relationships totally. Anyone can say whatever they like, they are not accountable any more.

For those of us who are 98, moan a lot, & opinionated, it is very difficult to come to terms with. We can try, & we do, but there are two sides to it.

We removed a Post a while back because it referred to an inferior poker player as a mong. That is a word we see a lot in poker, along with spazzer, window-licker & that sort of stuff. To me, it is deeply offensive, as it is to many. To the younger generation, it seems to be fine. I bet it's not fine to the sufferers though, or more importantly, to their families who may accidentally see it, then spend hours remorsefully considering their burden in life. 

Which side of that debate is correct? Either, or neither, or is it just an awkward transition? Would we call that player a retard to his face? Maybe we would, I don't know, though I've never seen or heard it happen. Sheltered life, maybe.

It's all very perplexing to me, but I suppose life is changing so fast. I plead guilty to opinionated, by the way, never even knew it was a crime.

Hmm, that was all a bit dark. Where did that suddenly come from?

See next Post........

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36411 on: January 31, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »

So, after sonour mentioned Vicky, I wanted to find something, a wonderful article Miss Coren had written a while back. google it is, then.

And I stumbled across something that made me realise how much things have changed. 

The thread I'm going to link too has no dissenters, & the Mods at 2+2 saw no need to Moderate it, apparently.

Is this how we behave these days? Is this normal? Do people really mean these things? Would they say it to their face?

I can honestly say, that thread was a slap in the face to me. I can barely believe such horrible people exist, & how much society has changed in so short a time.. 

Perhaps it is "humour", & I'm missing the point. Yes, no?

Note, for example, the Post by "sjiiex" on Page 1 of the thread.

WARNING - this may cause offence.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/54/poker-beats-brags-variance/i-wana-bang-vicky-coren-1098233/

sonour

View Profile
« Reply #36412 on: January 31, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »

Tikay,

I must tell you, even though I'm sure a few people will misinterpret it, but I'm a tremendous admirer of Miss Coren, in almost every which way. I'm talking as a person, not "sex-based", I just respect everything about her. She is prone, at times, to play poker without bothering to wear make up, or fix her hair. I hope this does not come across the wrong way, but I adore her for that.

Her writing, newspaper articles, her TV work, her appearances on HIGNFY, her poker abilities - quite a thing for a young lady to win an EPT, you know - my respect for her is immense. Sharing a poker table with Vicky - which I've probably only done 2 or 3 times - is the greatest fun ever, too, she has such an interesting personna. I'm almost fixated by her, though not in a bad or sinister way. We are, I suppose, more acquaintances than friends, though to me, I use the old-fashioned definition of "friend", not the modern Facebook version.

Her Dad, now sadly passed on, was an astonishingly perceptive & witty writer, & great on the wireless, too, & he must have been so proud of here. She has a brother, Giles I think, he's quite a character, too.

I'm not a lurker in the modern sense, but I avidly read everything she writes, everywhere.

I'm working very hard to get certain "faces" to play the UKPC, & doing just fine, but I can tell you, if Vicky is there, I'll be chuffed to bits.

"Respect" does not seem to have a place in poker these days, but my respect for her is enormous.

Meanwhile, more on the Vicky front later, if I dare, but that won't be quite so nice to read......

Did you see her on Question Time ? I don't know if she has been on more than once but this about 9 months ago. She was brilliant. If you haven't seen it and could somehow find it, I am sure you would enjoy it.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36413 on: January 31, 2014, 01:20:30 PM »

Tikay,

Did you see her on Question Time ? I don't know if she has been on more than once but this about 9 months ago. She was brilliant. If you haven't seen it and could somehow find it, I am sure you would enjoy it.

No, I missed that, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere, thank you.

She scares me a bit actually, in the same way that, say, Jen Mason does. Both are so sharp, so quick of mind, so funny. I adore them both, but I'm never quite relaxed, as I feel so inferior.

I've probably interviewed Vicky 3 or 4 times, spoke to her at the table (as an updater) a hundred times - usually the wrong times, actually. You seem to have a lot less chips than 20 minutes ago, intended with humour, is probably not my best-timed line I suppose. 

If we ended up sharing a lift, just the 2 of us, I'd probably press the emergency button, I'd be scared out of my life.

I feel much more comfortable in the company of lesser people, such as Chompy. 

Ice Shade
The Forming Pride Of Nottingham

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36414 on: January 31, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »

So, after sonour mentioned Vicky, I wanted to find something, a wonderful article Miss Coren had written a while back. google it is, then.

And I stumbled across something that made me realise how much things have changed. 

The thread I'm going to link too has no dissenters, & the Mods at 2+2 saw no need to Moderate it, apparently.

Is this how we behave these days? Is this normal? Do people really mean these things? Would they say it to their face?

I can honestly say, that thread was a slap in the face to me. I can barely believe such horrible people exist, & how much society has changed in so short a time.. 

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/54/poker-beats-brags-variance/i-wana-bang-vicky-coren-1098233/

This made me laugh FAR more than it probably should have....gotta love dem yanks xD

Winning Isnt Everything...Wanting To Is...
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36415 on: January 31, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »

This made me laugh FAR more than it probably should have....gotta love dem yanks xD

Ha!

That's the thing, you see, we all see these things in a different way.

To me, it was utterly vile, as were those who contributed, to others, quite normal people, regular guys, it's very funny.

I think I spend too much time thinking about these things, maybe I need to get out more. Or less.

sonour

View Profile
« Reply #36416 on: January 31, 2014, 01:33:33 PM »

It is not humour and you are not missing the point. You only have to watch programmes like Jeremy Kyle to realise how some people live and behave.
They wouldn't say it to her face and if they did she would soon put them in their place.
I don't know what more to say, it really is sickening. I'm just glad we don't get any of that sort of rubbish on Blonde.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36417 on: January 31, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »

It is not humour and you are not missing the point. You only have to watch programmes like Jeremy Kyle to realise how some people live and behave.
They wouldn't say it to her face and if they did she would soon put them in their place.
I don't know what more to say, it really is sickening. I'm just glad we don't get any of that sort of rubbish on Blonde.

Well there we have it.

Consecutive replies say "that made me laugh" & "it really is sickening".

I suppose there is room for all views.

We do sometimes have blondes saying they'd like us to be more like 2+2, & I've no idea how to reply. I do know I'd rather the place closed than let it go down that route, but I also know that the Membership as a whole are of a much younger generation, who expect different things.

"that sort of rubbish on blonde"? It may well happen, but not whilst I'm here.

On a brighter note, I think I'm going to play my first Live Poker in about 6 months next week, & toodle up to the Vic to play the GUKPT Omaha jhobbie. With real people, face to face. 

I've actually played more poker Online in the last few months than ever before, I did a little Challenge, which I absolutely loved, & enjoyed every minute of. Just small-ball, turning £200 into £1,000, which I achieved, momentarily. Currently, I'm turning £1,000 into £200 it seems, judging by this week's sessions.

All good really.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #36418 on: January 31, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »

Graphs or it didn't happen

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #36419 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »

Ha!

That's the thing, you see, we all see these things in a different way.

To me, it was utterly vile, as were those who contributed, to others, quite normal people, regular guys, it's very funny.

I think I spend too much time thinking about these things, maybe I need to get out more. Or less.

Funny ? I'm speechless. Well actually no I'm not. This isn't intended as personal against anybody but what kind of person would find that funny ?
It's not an age thing Tikay, it's a matter of upbringing or as my old headmaster used to say breeding. I can here him mutter it now ' no breeding, Lisa, no breeding '
Their  parents have a lot to answer for. Where did it all go wrong Tikay?
Pages: 1 ... 2424 2425 2426 2427 [2428] 2429 2430 2431 2432 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: