blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2673 2674 2675 2676 [2677] 2678 2679 2680 2681 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6320746 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40140 on: October 18, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »

Would these be your Desert Islands Discs? Which one would you take to the Island?

Not sure about that. I'd really struggle to narrow them down to 1, or even 10. I've not even started on my Aerosmith, Chilli Peppers or Eminem stuff yet, either.

The availability of any or all music these days, on so many platforms, is just wonderful, & all for free.

As a kid, a "single" was about 5/1 (five shillings = 25p) which was ridiculously expensive, & so we all went to a posh mates house, as he had a gramaphone.

Now we just open our tablet, click a few buittons, & can not just listen, but watch, almost any artist or track. What a freeroll!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40141 on: October 18, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »

as a teenager etc in the 50s-60s tikay what music were you into?

your tastes are quite modern, which is interesting

were you an elvis man? beatles? stones?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #40142 on: October 18, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »

Would these be your Desert Islands Discs? Which one would you take to the Island?

Not sure about that. I'd really struggle to narrow them down to 1, or even 10. I've not even started on my Aerosmith, Chilli Peppers or Eminem stuff yet, either.

The availability of any or all music these days, on so many platforms, is just wonderful, & all for free.

As a kid, a "single" was about 5/1 (five shillings = 25p) which was ridiculously expensive, & so we all went to a posh mates house, as he had a gramaphone.

Now we just open our tablet, click a few buittons, & can not just listen, but watch, almost any artist or track. What a freeroll!

I distinctly remember singles being 6 s/8 d in WH Smiths in High St Kensington.

You could get three for £1 not that I ever had that much to spend.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:27:27 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40143 on: October 18, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »

as a teenager etc in the 50s-60s tikay what music were you into?

your tastes are quite modern, which is interesting

were you an elvis man? beatles? stones?

Elvis? Good Lord, no.

Not Stones mad, though I saw them in clubs in Ealing & Richmond on several occasions. I'm more an admirer these days solely because I'm in awe of how Keith Richards has survived, all things considered. His book was very revealing, & a great read. (The best "pop" Bio I can recall is "Scar Tissue" by Mr Keidis).

Really, back then, everything - music, life, the lot, was shaped by the emergence of The Beatles in 1963 (?). They, really, changed the game completely. I've just read a book by their sound Engineer, which was a dreadful bore (or, more correctly, he was) but it was interesting to read that Harrison was, back in the day, completely crap at playing guitar.

But I mostly enjoy music I can see, & of course music videos never really arrived until the mid-eighties, along with MTV. Proper MTV, I mean, MTV America, not the crap MTV Europe we have to suffer these days.

I would not say my music tastes are "modern", more 70/80/90's in the main.

For me, I lived through a golden age of British pop music - The Beatles, Elton, Rod, Robbie of course. Then it all changed, & we had Natalie, Gwen, Eminem, Dr Dre, Snoop, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd & DSOTM, Radiohead & all that stuff.

So much pleasure from music, for so many years.

What were your musical tastes as a youngster, & now? And your children, do they do music?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40144 on: October 18, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »

I distinctly remember singles being 6 s/8 d in WH Smiths in High St Kensington.

You could get three for £1 not that I ever had that much to spend.

Well you are (slightly) yoiunger than me, so yes, 6  shillings & eightpence would be about right. For context, I had a paper round (well several, actually) & my wages per round, per week, were 5 shillings (25p).

My wages when I started work were £5 per week. I felt like a millionaire. I paid £1 for "board & lodge" (we all paid "board & lodge" those days), filled my car with petrol, got 10 Woodbines or Senior Service, had a pint or two down the pub, & the rest was spending money. I saved 5/- per week, too, with National Savings Stamps.

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40145 on: October 18, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »

I was a new romantic

Remember going to a Japan concert as a 14 year old at the Hammersmith Apollo in eye-liner and foundation. Big blonde quiff coloured by "sun in". No pictures survive. Still follow david Sylvian now

by the time was a student it was The Smiths (still a big johnny marr fan), The Cure, Waterboys, early REM, The Cult etc etc. Loved The Jam

nowadays still indie, guitars but far broader taste in general. Last two concerts were Fleetwood Mac and Kate Bush

Kids? yes. pop and R and B mainly.

My eyes are open wide
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40146 on: October 18, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »

Remember going to a Japan concert as a 14 year old at the Hammersmith Apollo in eye-liner and foundation. Big blonde quiff coloured by "sun in". No pictures survive.

There were pictures?

The older I get, the better I was.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #40147 on: October 18, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »

Pretty sure Tikay started listening to music when his dog Nipper was still alive.....

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40148 on: October 18, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »

The greatest music mystery of my entire life was a chap named Mike Oldfield.

He made an album on which he played all the instruments. It was a concept album as they liked to say back in the day.

It was (or seemed) 9 hours long, & consisted of one bar, played over & over again. For 9 bloody hours. (OK, it ended with "Sailors Hornpipe" for some reason).

I guess you needed to be smoking a joint to enjoy crap like that.

It sold about 15 milly copies, allegedly. We must have all been mad.

Other than one other LP - Herbest Ridge - he never made any other stuff - except 6 - SIX! - remakes of Tubular Bells, which went by amazingly original titles such as "Tubular Bells II", "Tubalar Bells III" & so on.

Even the Tubular Bells Wiki page will bore anyone to tears, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40149 on: October 18, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »

Remember going to a Japan concert as a 14 year old at the Hammersmith Apollo in eye-liner and foundation. Big blonde quiff coloured by "sun in". No pictures survive.

There were pictures?

I remember the pictures, but do not know what happened to them

remember the concert too.

My father, who i did not get on with, had to pick up three of us from the Hammersmith bus station afterwards

Three teenage boys, in frilly blouses, make up and attitude

the ultimate dad's taxi nightmare

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40150 on: October 18, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »

There were pictures?

Yeah, post those photos Tighty, this we need to see.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40151 on: October 18, 2014, 01:03:36 PM »

The greatest music mystery of my entire life was a chap named Mike Oldfield.

He made an album on which he played all the instruments. It was a concept album as they liked to say back in the day.

It was (or seemed) 9 hours long, & consisted of one bar, played over & over again. For 9 bloody hours. (OK, it ended with "Sailors Hornpipe" for some reason).

I guess you needed to be smoking a joint to enjoy crap like that.

It sold about 15 milly copies, allegedly. We must have all been mad.

Other than one other LP - Herbest Ridge - he never made any other stuff - except 6 - SIX! - remakes of Tubular Bells, which went by amazingly original titles such as "Tubular Bells II", "Tubalar Bells III" & so on.

Even the Tubular Bells Wiki page will bore anyone to tears, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells

Jean Michel Jarre was another one

Oxygen, Equinox

Oxygen sold 12m copies, he did instrumental concerts to over 1m people a time

strange to recall it now actually

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40152 on: October 18, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »

There were pictures?

My father, who i did not get on with, had to pick up three of us from the Hammersmith bus station afterwards

Oner of my Top Ten London Bus Garages at the time. It was, effectively, in the middle of Hammersmith Roundabout. 

So both you & Adzy were "New Romantics"?

The mind boggles.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40153 on: October 18, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »

I had the commute to school to die for

either

a) 33 or 72 bus to Hammersmith and then district line to school or

b) overland rail from Putney to Waterloo and then the drain to school

Hammersmith bus station was, literally, a huge layby on one side of the hammersmith roundabout.

From 4pm to 7pm daily the whole island was a massive snarl up as people tried to get out of London either along the A4, or over Hammersmith bridge which couldn't cope with the capacity, or down the Fulham Palace road to get out to the A3

My eyes are open wide
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #40154 on: October 18, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »

There were pictures?

Oner of my Top Ten London Bus Garages at the time. It was, effectively, in the middle of Hammersmith Roundabout. 

So both you & Adzy were "New Romantics"?

The mind boggles.

LOL. I deliberately passed over the small application of eye-liner back in those days. But, bloody hell, the girls loved it. Always an in!

The current Mrs C, not so keen!

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pages: 1 ... 2673 2674 2675 2676 [2677] 2678 2679 2680 2681 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: