blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2676 2677 2678 2679 [2680] 2681 2682 2683 2684 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6297154 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #40185 on: October 18, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »

I don't think we should be mentioning Robbie Williams in the same sentence as The Beatles. Talented he may be but his success seems to owe more to the Kevin Keegan work ethic than the natural talent of a Gazza or a Cantona.

That Golden Age produced three bands who can be said to have influenced most of what has followed them IMO.
The Beatles, The Kinks and The Who each left a major mark. The Who survive and still rank as one of the best live acts I've seen this century.

At the same time as the British scene was developing the rise of Tamla and of Chess records with  artistes such as Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell,  Sam Cooke,The Supremes et al created the template for today's RnB.
Do you have some faves from that sector? Reach Out (I'll be there); Heard It Through The Grapevine; Dock of the Bay and so many more

By the way, Dark Side of the Moon predates Take That by 17 yrs, and Robbie's solo career by a lot more.

I will reply tomorrow David, and put you right.

I'm looking forward to that

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #40186 on: October 18, 2014, 11:51:19 PM »

We didn't even mention Joey Barton

Or Vinnie Jones.

Now there's a man I REALLY don't like.

Martin Lewis?!

Ooh, good spot.

Another one to add to Camel's list.

Me?! scared

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #40187 on: October 19, 2014, 12:00:49 AM »

Or Vinnie Jones.

Martin Lewis?!

Ooh, good spot.

Me?! scared

Perfectly dreadful man. Makes my skin crawl.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40188 on: October 19, 2014, 12:16:39 AM »

Boom
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #40189 on: October 19, 2014, 12:21:22 AM »

Hot Chocolate was another 1980's soul-group that I liked.

And I'd almost forgotten Martha and The Vandellas.

I'm guessing Tony didn't like them either.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:23:49 AM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #40190 on: October 19, 2014, 02:24:07 AM »

Or Vinnie Jones.

Martin Lewis?!

Ooh, good spot.

Me?! scared

Perfectly dreadful man. Makes my skin crawl.

And there was me thinking I waste my time here.

Excellent.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40191 on: October 20, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »

If you liked my other links you'll love this

http://www.43folders.com/2010/11/04/suddenly-last-sandwich?utm_source=feedburner
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #40192 on: October 21, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »

I don't think we should be mentioning Robbie Williams in the same sentence as The Beatles. Talented he may be but his success seems to owe more to the Kevin Keegan work ethic than the natural talent of a Gazza or a Cantona.

That Golden Age produced three bands who can be said to have influenced most of what has followed them IMO.
The Beatles, The Kinks and The Who each left a major mark. The Who survive and still rank as one of the best live acts I've seen this century.

At the same time as the British scene was developing the rise of Tamla and of Chess records with  artistes such as Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell,  Sam Cooke,The Supremes et al created the template for today's RnB.
Do you have some faves from that sector? Reach Out (I'll be there); Heard It Through The Grapevine; Dock of the Bay and so many more

By the way, Dark Side of the Moon predates Take That by 17 yrs, and Robbie's solo career by a lot more.

ahem

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40193 on: October 21, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »

ahem

Not forgotten, been a bit busy with work & stuff. Will try & get back to it today.

PS - Congrats on beating WBA last night.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #40194 on: October 21, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »

ahem

Not forgotten, been a bit busy with work & stuff. Will try & get back to it today.

PS - Congrats on beating WBA last night.

you can go off people you know

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #40195 on: October 22, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »

as a teenager etc in the 50s-60s tikay what music were you into?

your tastes are quite modern, which is interesting

were you an elvis man? beatles? stones?

Elvis? Good Lord, no.

Not Stones mad, though I saw them in clubs in Ealing & Richmond on several occasions. I'm more an admirer these days solely because I'm in awe of how Keith Richards has survived, all things considered. His book was very revealing, & a great read. (The best "pop" Bio I can recall is "Scar Tissue" by Mr Keidis).

Really, back then, everything - music, life, the lot, was shaped by the emergence of The Beatles in 1963 (?). They, really, changed the game completely. I've just read a book by their sound Engineer, which was a dreadful bore (or, more correctly, he was) but it was interesting to read that Harrison was, back in the day, completely crap at playing guitar.

But I mostly enjoy music I can see, & of course music videos never really arrived until the mid-eighties, along with MTV. Proper MTV, I mean, MTV America, not the crap MTV Europe we have to suffer these days.

I would not say my music tastes are "modern", more 70/80/90's in the main.

For me, I lived through a golden age of British pop music - The Beatles, Elton, Rod, Robbie of course. Then it all changed, & we had Natalie, Gwen, Eminem, Dr Dre, Snoop, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd & DSOTM, Radiohead & all that stuff.

So much pleasure from music, for so many years.

What were your musical tastes as a youngster, & now? And your children, do they do music?

No elvis ?! Sad

Love him, his songs are so uplifting... and agree with David,  Robbie who?? Elton and rod are the class acts... nothing wrong with a bit of Eminem Tikay,  surprised no mention of my bestie - Adele :/
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40196 on: October 22, 2014, 10:01:16 AM »

What a story!

It's hard to believe stuff like this.

Conman pretended to be quadriplegic for two years but was caught walking around Tesco

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11178677/Conman-pretended-to-be-quadriplegic-for-two-years-but-was-caught-walking-around-Tesco.html

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #40197 on: October 22, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

If you haven't already seen it I think you'll find last week's Grand Designs interesting Sir Tony

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/4od#3769285

Although why I would distract you when I'm waiting to hear your reply to my comments about music I really don't know.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40198 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »

If you haven't already seen it I think you'll find last week's Grand Designs interesting Sir Tony

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/4od#3769285

Although why I would distract you when I'm waiting to hear your reply to my comments about music I really don't know.

Thanks David.

Hoping to get up to date on the Diary later today. Life is so good, & full, I seem to need 36 hours in every day to do everything I want to do.

I've never watched "Grand Designs", but I know Thewy watches it avidly. He did his own, sort of, "Grand Design" by a huge conversion & extension on his house after he won the EPT, it's really breathtaking, & it's sort of typical Thewy, it has his scruffy trademark all over it, but it is really somethng special, very unusual.   

Today I'm trying to "work" the latest UKOPS which has just been announced Next Door, & I need to Ulpoad one of Barry Carter's "Mental Game of Poker" missives, too, so a bit of work to do there, & later this afternoon, I'm off to The Vic with a camera crew to do the Moorman Book Launch thing.  Pretty excited about that - South West Trains from Hampton Court to Waterloo, then Bakerloo Line to Paddington. Can you even BEGIN to imagine, Paddington AND Waterloo Stations on the same day?

Talking of which, I stumbled across this photo recently......

More follows......

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40199 on: October 22, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »

The relevance of this photograph is something I just know will resonate with you.

I was looking for something via google a few days ago, & stumbled upon this quite by accident.

I insta recognized it, because the driver of the steam locomotive was my Dad.

It was such a big day for him, the film cameras came to our house, & went on the footplate with him, & everything.

He had been unwell for some time prior to this, & off work for almost 2 years due to his health, but they especially invited him to be the driver on this historic occasion, as he was the GWR's "No 1 Driver", so he got the gig.

Unfortunately, things did not go to plan.....

Paddington Station hoardings, July 2012
1979 - ‘King George V’ and Inter-City 125: A contemporary report ran: “A great railway nostalgia trip ran out of steam yesterday. The gleaming Great Western Railway engine ‘King George V’ left Paddington to a great send-off to celebrate the 125th anniversary of Brunel’s station. One hour and 17 minutes later it stood in a siding at Didcot, Oxfordshire - waiting for repairs. The 500 steam fans who paid £12.50 for the return journey went back to London on a diesel train. The Swindon-built ‘King George V’, now in its 53rd year, came to a halt after an axle box on one of the driving wheels overheated and was in danger of seizing up. The 50-mile route was lined with tens of thousands of sightseers anxious to catch a glimpse of the engine. Impertinent Inter-City diesel upstarts whistled greetings as they rushed past their elderly counterpart

It was all very sad, & as it turned out, he never worked again, & died 6 months later. He had been with the GWR all his working life, 46 years I think, & it was so sad it ended like that.  

I still visit Paddington Station frequently, & always try & "spend a monent" with Dad when I am there. You'll understand.

I hope this does not touch a nerve, David, but how are you coping without Dad? Is it a little easier now? It took me a few years, but eventually it became fine, when - daft as it may sound - I started "talking to him" in my mind, every day. Still do, & he has been gone 35 years. We get along great, we really do.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:44:20 AM by tikay » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 2676 2677 2678 2679 [2680] 2681 2682 2683 2684 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: