blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2677 2678 2679 2680 [2681] 2682 2683 2684 2685 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296214 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #40200 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »

The relevance of this photograph is something I just know will resonate with you.

I was looking for something via google a few days ago, & stumbled upon this quite by accident.

Click to see full-size image.

I insta recognized it, because the driver of the steam locomotive was my Dad.

It was such a big day for him, the film cameras came to our house, & went on the footplate with him, & everything.

He had been unwell for some time prior to this, & off work for almost 2 years due to his health, but they especially invited him to be the driver on this historic occasion, as he was the GWR's "No 1 Driver", so he got the gig.

Unfortunately, things did not go to plan.....

Paddington Station hoardings, July 2012
1979 - ‘King George V’ and Inter-City 125: A contemporary report ran: “A great railway nostalgia trip ran out of steam yesterday. The gleaming Great Western Railway engine ‘King George V’ left Paddington to a great send-off to celebrate the 125th anniversary of Brunel’s station. One hour and 17 minutes later it stood in a siding at Didcot, Oxfordshire - waiting for repairs. The 500 steam fans who paid £12.50 for the return journey went back to London on a diesel train. The Swindon-built ‘King George V’, now in its 53rd year, came to a halt after an axle box on one of the driving wheels overheated and was in danger of seizing up. The 50-mile route was lined with tens of thousands of sightseers anxious to catch a glimpse of the engine. Impertinent Inter-City diesel upstarts whistled greetings as they rushed past their elderly counterpart

It was all very sad, & as it turned out, he never worked again, & died 6 months later. He had been with the GWR all his working life, 46 years I think, & it was so sad it ended like that.  

I still visit Paddington Station frequently, & always try & "spend a monent" with Dad when I am there. You'll understand.

I hope this does not touch a nerve, David, but how are you coping without Dad? Is it a little easier now? It took me a few years, but eventually it became fine, when - daft as it may sound - I started "talking to him" in my mind, every day. Still do, & he has been gone 35 years. We get along great, we really do.   

Ten years or so before that photo was taken I was an avid Trainspotter and used to spend a week of my Summer Holiday using a ticket that entitled me to travel anywhere within 50 miles of Birmingham. Our attention was mostly focussed on the steam trains and the highlight of any day was being allowed to 'cab' a train. One or two drivers would even take us up the line with them when they changed platforms. None would have been your dad, we were mostly on LMR lines but they were the rare ones who seemed to appreciate our affection for the steam trains. 'Cabbed ' a few Britannia Class Engines which was pretty good.

I do miss Dad, we'd got a lot closer over the last few years of his life and I miss his wisdom and calm. I try to act as though he is watching, but to my shame i don't always manage that.

Do have a look at that Grand Designs  - it features a rather remarkable piece of engineering that allowed the building of a house, on an island in the middle of The Thames, which will never suffer the ingress of flood water.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #40201 on: October 23, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »

Enjoyed Grand Designs - thanks for posting. I was entertained and learned two things:

1.     Don't contract enthusiastic amateurs to carry out complex building projects.
2.     If you ever have to negotiate with a farmer, they are no mugs.

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #40202 on: October 24, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/25/the-spy-who-loved-me-2

brilliant read
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #40203 on: October 24, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »

I find this all to be one of the most remarkable episodes of recent years.  Helen Steel, in particular, has lived an amazing life.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #40204 on: October 25, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »

I've just learned that former Cream bassist Jack Bruce has died.

RIP Jack.

By an odd coincidence I had mentioned the Boyd sisters, especially the late Paula Boyd and her first husband, the musical-engineer Andy Johns, on here a couple of weeks ago. I think it might have been a digression from that story which led me to start telling the story of my previous North American odyysey, but I digress...

Andy Johns was engineering a solo album that Jack Bruce was recording at the time in LA ~1976 and I actually hung out with Jack quite a bit for a couple of weeks. He was an okay guy.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #40205 on: October 25, 2014, 11:51:53 PM »

RIP Jack.

By an odd coincidence I had mentioned the Boyd sisters, especially the late Paula Boyd and her first husband, the musical-engineer Andy Johns, on here a couple of weeks ago. I think it might have been a digression from that story which led me to start telling the story of my previous North American odyysey, but I digress...

Andy Johns was engineering a solo album that Jack Bruce was recording at the time in LA ~1976 and I actually hung out with Jack quite a bit for a couple of weeks. He was an okay guy.

Will you please stop teasing and just start a thread called "Ralph's Reminiscences"

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #40206 on: October 26, 2014, 01:13:44 AM »

RIP Jack.

Will you please stop teasing and just start a thread called "Ralph's Reminiscences"

The details are a little vague David as there were a lot of drugs being consumed in those days. I do know that when I arrived in LA I was pretty flush and stayed at The Hyatt hotel on Sunset for a week or so which was a well-known hangout for musicians and their ilk. 

As well as Jack Bruce and his entourage The New York Dolls were also staying there although I never got to know them as on the odd time I saw them in the hotel coffee-shop they were far too stoned to converse with.

This was probably 1974 rather than '76 that I suggested earlier, it's all coming back to me now..

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #40207 on: October 26, 2014, 07:37:11 PM »

RIP Jack.

Totally this.  I just love reading them and can't wait to read about the rest of the North American trip.  Even if you just write about what you can remember ;-)........

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #40208 on: October 26, 2014, 11:28:53 PM »

RIP Jack.

Totally this.  I just love reading them and can't wait to read about the rest of the North American trip.  Even if you just write about what you can remember ;-)........

I'm just waiting for gramps to don his rubber gloves so that he can give us some insight regarding his total disdain for blues, soul, rock&roll and the other musical dark arts and I'll finish the Vancouver story.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40209 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:50 AM »

RIP Jack.

I'm just waiting for gramps to don his rubber gloves so that he can give us some insight regarding his total disdain for blues, soul, rock&roll and the other musical dark arts and I'll finish the Vancouver story.

Ha, very clever ruse, Ralph.

I'll try & get on it today or tomorrow. I've been unwell all weekend, & not much in a Diary mood, which may explain why I have been making grumpy Posts all over blonde. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #40210 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »

^^^

Have you had your 'flu' jab Tony?

The reason I ask is because I had mine just over a week ago and felt decidedly off-colour for a few days afterwards.

Hopefully you are now back in fine fettle again.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #40211 on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »

^^^

The reason I ask is because I had mine just over a week ago and felt decidedly off-colour for a few days afterwards.

had mine Saturday, felt like sh1t for 48 hours. Did you go to the 4/5/6 PLO ralph?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #40212 on: October 27, 2014, 08:52:47 PM »

Posted this on another thread. Brings back a few memories of poker before the boom!

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #40213 on: October 27, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »

^^^

had mine Saturday, felt like sh1t for 48 hours. Did you go to the 4/5/6 PLO ralph?

No Simon, I obviously forgot about it.

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #40214 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »

lol at the guy who's travelling the world playing poker but couldn't sort out Visa's etc for the birth of his child

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Pages: 1 ... 2677 2678 2679 2680 [2681] 2682 2683 2684 2685 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: