blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:57:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 728 729 [730] 731 732 733 734 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3609578 times)
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #10935 on: January 19, 2011, 12:14:42 PM »

According to Facebook comments, most of the community cringed as they watched it through their fingers. 

Tom - I always watch these things with synacism as you know there is likely to be a slant of some sort.

I thought the thing that would upset the 'moral majority' would be the 'grabbing' which, if it was as shown on the programme, be seen as assault in some eyes. I realise that it's all part of the culture - is it Gypsy or Traveller culture or both?

If it is part of the Gypsy culture has it always been like this, if so did you Grab Mrs Red? I'm sure you mentioned somewhere how shy you were as a young man so the grabbing would seem out of character.

Grabbing is A relatively recent innovation, and is an Irish Traveller rather than a Gypsy thing.

In my day, If you had grabbed a girl like that, she. (Or her brother) would have split you open. At best, you would have had to fight someone the next morning

I have to say though, it was still quite innocent. Notice that the boys were after a kiss, no more, and during the "Grabbing" hands never strayed to where they shouldn't be.

I found it a bit confusing because of the earlier bits in the programm where the girls were talking about never being in the company of boys alone, always chaperoned etc  - but they may have been Gypsy girls - sorry for not knowing the difference. Is there any easy difference that oursiders can spot?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10936 on: January 19, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »

I think the once a week weighers kid themselves,...

I think that most people who do this do so because they recognise that the technical flaws in any scales mean that any apparent weight loss from one day to the next day is potentially meaningless as it could just be down to the scales. Whereas over a whole week you would expect a bigger fall which would make the margin of error more insignificant.

Yes, but weighing daily, you are keen to ensure that the trend is downwards. it's a bit disapointing to find that you have gained half a pound because of scale fluctuation, but you're safe in the knowledge that if you continue to lose weight, the scale will have to reflect that sooner or later.

The big danger is weighing once a week with no real motivation until weigh day approaches, and then even though you may have lost a pound or two, scale fluctuation robs you and you feel totally defeated.

The older I get, the better I was.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10937 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »

Is there any easy difference that oursiders can spot?

The accents were a bit of a clue for me.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10938 on: January 19, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »

According to Facebook comments, most of the community cringed as they watched it through their fingers. 

Tom - I always watch these things with synacism as you know there is likely to be a slant of some sort.

I thought the thing that would upset the 'moral majority' would be the 'grabbing' which, if it was as shown on the programme, be seen as assault in some eyes. I realise that it's all part of the culture - is it Gypsy or Traveller culture or both?

If it is part of the Gypsy culture has it always been like this, if so did you Grab Mrs Red? I'm sure you mentioned somewhere how shy you were as a young man so the grabbing would seem out of character.

Grabbing is A relatively recent innovation, and is an Irish Traveller rather than a Gypsy thing.

In my day, If you had grabbed a girl like that, she. (Or her brother) would have split you open. At best, you would have had to fight someone the next morning

I have to say though, it was still quite innocent. Notice that the boys were after a kiss, no more, and during the "Grabbing" hands never strayed to where they shouldn't be.

I found it a bit confusing because of the earlier bits in the programm where the girls were talking about never being in the company of boys alone, always chaperoned etc  - but they may have been Gypsy girls - sorry for not knowing the difference. Is there any easy difference that oursiders can spot?

The girls were never in the company of boys alone. i.e one girl with a boy, or boys, in a situation where something could happen. (Or be said to have happened)

Easy difference outsiders can spot? Not really..... Irish accent perhaps?

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: January 19, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »

The most disturbing piece in that programme was when they asked the 15 year old girls what they were looking for in a husband..

One answered "He shouldn't beat me".

Not exactly high expectations.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10940 on: January 19, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

The most disturbing piece in that programme was when they asked the 15 year old girls what they were looking for in a husband..

In the real world Keith you would be surprised.

I do cultural awareness training with an organisation that helps abused women as part of my job. Their statistics indicate that around 50% of women in relationships are the victims of domestic violence.

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: January 19, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »

I never watched it but I do recall loving playing Kiss Chase,( although I do not recall ever getting chased) is it a similar game?.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: January 19, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »

I do cultural awareness training with an organisation that helps abused women as part of my job. Their statistics indicate that around 50% of women in relationships are the victims of domestic violence.

In some of the places I've travelled, this kind of stuff is standard in relationships unfortunately............
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10943 on: January 19, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »

That was the thing I didn't like - it seems as though those girls aren't allowed to have ambitons and control over how their lives turn out. They hit 16, get married and well, that's it - you make babies now.

I would think making it culturally difficult for women to take control of their lives, and the associated feelings of ownership on the part of the husband that this would engender, can't help this statistic.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10944 on: January 19, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »

I never watched it but I do recall loving playing Kiss Chase,( although I do not recall ever getting chased) is it a similar game?.

Well the participants are usually around 14+  (virtually adult in our society) There is no chasing, and almost never any kissing, but apart from that, yes.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: January 19, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »

50% is a huge and and extremely worrying number Tom.

What do you think are the reasons it is so high?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: January 19, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »

I don't know specifically about this subject - but I do know about statistics - I expect this is a specifically selected sample, you could relate it to Woodsey's comment about, "some of the places I've travelled"

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:11 PM »

I don't know specifically about this subject - but I do know about statistics - I expect this is a specifically selected sample, you could relate it to Woodsey's comment about, "some of the places I've travelled"

I'm specifically referring to South East Asian countries...........
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10948 on: January 19, 2011, 12:45:05 PM »

That was the thing I didn't like - it seems as though those girls aren't allowed to have ambitons and control over how their lives turn out. They hit 16, get married and well, that's it - you make babies now.

I would think making it culturally difficult for women to take control of their lives, and the associated feelings of ownership on the part of the husband that this would engender, can't help this statistic.

All true Andrew, but not quite as bleak as it may seem.

Women do have a lot of control within the marriage. they're just not particularly vocal about it in mixed company.

There are well defined roles for both partners, and that's how most Gypsy couples see themselves, as partners.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »

I was referring to the general idea that you can get the figures you want to make your case more powerful by restricting the group you take the data from - how you restrict it depends on who is producing the figures and why

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 728 729 [730] 731 732 733 734 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: