blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:44:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1964 1965 1966 1967 [1968] 1969 1970 1971 1972 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3609510 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29505 on: March 30, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »

OK. I'd had a few and was a bit pissed off.

No more posts about gates until after the weekend I promise.

We'll take offence if there are.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #29506 on: March 30, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »

And I still don't know why rockets don't tip over.

Damn you Red, I've been on an hour long google trail & my head hurts.

Simple answer (that explains nothing) is that the centre of thrust is kept behind the centre of gravity which keep the rocket upright.

Clumsy analogy is rear wheel drive car in icy conditions, if I'm driving it it'll spin out quickly, if my mate who is a beemer fan is driving it he'll take the car up roads and hills I'd hesitate to try in a 4x4. He's skilled, his corrective steering is precise, and he manages to balance the thrust of the car well enough not to spin out. - The modern rocket uses directional gimballed thrusters to make lots of very small corrections which we don't see.

If it goes wrong, the tip moves out of line and....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #29507 on: March 30, 2018, 01:21:59 PM »

Simplistically, isn't it just that it's pointing in the right direction and the power it exerts exceeds the force of gravity acting on it?

Same reason the rocket escapes the Earth's gravitational pull when leaving its orbit.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:25:17 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29508 on: March 30, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »

Simplistically, isn't it just that it's pointing in the right direction and the power it exerts exceeds the force of gravity acting on it?

Same reason the rocket escapes the Earth's gravitational pull when leaving its orbit.

No Sir Mr Tal.

The thrust of the rocket doesn't negate the other forces acting upon it.

Example:

Place a high powered rifle ten feet above and exactly parallel to the ground, fire it and and simultaneously drop a bullet from the same hight.

Both the fired bullet and the dropped one will hit the ground at the same time, proving that the enormous thrust propelling the fired bullet did not effect the effect of gravity.

If you fire a flightless arrow from a bow, it will turn end over end because any slight deviation from absolutely true will be instantly and exponentially magnified.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:12:36 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29509 on: March 30, 2018, 04:15:22 PM »

Place a high powered rifle ten feet above and exactly parallel to the ground, fire it and and simultaneously drop a bullet from the same hight.

Both the fired bullet and the dropped one will hit the ground at the same time, proving that the enormous thrust propelling the fired bullet did not affect the effect of gravity.

Really?

I'm struggling to get my head round that.

I know what you are saying, but it just feels so wrong.

That's the problem with science shite.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #29510 on: March 30, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29511 on: March 30, 2018, 07:35:58 PM »

^^^^

I've seen some bollocks spouted on blonde this week. Happy to say Tom's Bullet thing is not part of it.

I'm convinced.

Always said science was great.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #29512 on: March 30, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »

Mythbusters also did a fantastic episode showing that if you shot something backwards out of a car moving forward at the same speed, the projectile falls straight down as if dropped from rest.

Re the rocket, I thought the question was why a long slender object moving at slow speed doesn't start to tumble, but I might have misunderstood.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29513 on: March 30, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »

Mythbusters also did a fantastic episode showing that if you shot something backwards out of a car moving forward at the same speed, the projectile falls straight down as if dropped from rest.

Re the rocket, I thought the question was why a long slender object moving at slow speed doesn't start to tumble, but I might have misunderstood.

Yes Rod. It was exactly that.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #29514 on: March 31, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »

Ah. Then I misunderstood.

I don't know the answer to that question.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29515 on: March 31, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »

No problem Mr Tal. I didn't explain it very well. (Witness the fiasco with the gate question)
Rod's summing up was much clearer.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29516 on: March 31, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »

We've had some rain here. Yesterday this brook was 4ft wide and 6in deep.

Click to see full-size image.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #29517 on: March 31, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »

No problem Mr Tal. I didn't explain it very well. (Witness the fiasco with the gate question)
Rod's summing up was much clearer.

No fiasco just a misunderstanding of what being asked. Smiley

Ah! The element of surprise
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29518 on: March 31, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »

How deep is it now?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29519 on: March 31, 2018, 09:29:29 PM »

How deep is it now?

8in?

Pages: 1 ... 1964 1965 1966 1967 [1968] 1969 1970 1971 1972 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: