blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:10:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 1990 1991 [1992] 1993 1994 1995 1996 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3603411 times)
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #29865 on: August 14, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »

We always watched it to the very end so we could see everyone go round on that roundabout thing, while the sig tune played.

I'm surprised I can't find an image of that.

Here you go

Click to see full-size image.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29866 on: August 15, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »

The magic roundabout was actually a French show. It wasn't directly translated into English, the 'translator' just made up a new story to fit the pictures.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #29867 on: August 15, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »

The magic roundabout was actually a French show. It wasn't directly translated into English, the 'translator' just made up a new story to fit the pictures.

Eric Thompson, father of Emma.

The storyline, and the dialogue always had an appeal on two levels, and it was very popular with students. Intentional drug references have always been denied, but there were a lot of accidental ones.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29868 on: August 15, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »

I think you should let JohnMW know who your builder is.

It was a learn as you go process. The most important thing I learned was to measure things very very carefully.

There's an old saying I heard somewhere: "measure twice and cut once".

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29869 on: August 15, 2018, 11:13:14 AM »

I think you should let JohnMW know who your builder is.

It was a learn as you go process. The most important thing I learned was to measure things very very carefully.

There's an old saying I heard somewhere: "measure twice and cut once".

Yes. Well I'm amending that to "Measure twice very very carefully and cut once".

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29870 on: August 15, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »

Now I want to know the odds of living next to a Tiller Girl but I don't know what parameters to use for my calculations.

For instance, should we only include currently (1950's?) active Tillers Girls or also retired ones. Do we take into account the number of people in the country at that time or only those living in your area?

What about the average number of people in a household, does that even matter?

I assume your chances would increase if you lived close to the Palladium but what are the odds of that?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29871 on: August 15, 2018, 11:29:15 AM »

I heard a radio prog about insurance last night. When they work out what a risk is and offer to insure against it, the people who take advantage of that offer are also the people most likely to be exposed to and therefore fall foul of that risk, which makes insuring against the risk a bit riskier and so on.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29872 on: August 15, 2018, 11:33:27 AM »

Now I want to know the odds of living next to a Tiller Girl but I don't know what parameters to use for my calculations.

For instance, should we only include currently (1950's?) active Tillers Girls or also retired ones. Do we take into account the number of people in the country at that time or only those living in your area?

What about the average number of people in a household, does that even matter?

I assume your chances would increase if you lived close to the Palladium but what are the odds of that?

Whoa there - we need to be careful now, there were Tiller Girl troupes everywhere, not just in England but overseas, too. Lots & lots of them.

They were founded by a chap named John Tiller - fancy that - over a century ago I think, & until the 1950's were not particularly associated with the London Palladium.

Here, this may help;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiller_Girls

And this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tiller

And finally, here's the incred skills of the Tiller Dancers. Not easy, you know.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29873 on: August 15, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »

Yikes, that Tiller Girl You Tube video is incred.

They don't make TV like that these days, it's all that TOWIE shit. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29874 on: August 15, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »

Now, to work out the odds of living next to a Tiller Girl, I want you to use the Fermi thing - you know, that thing where you can estimate how many piano tuners there are in Chicago, like this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem

We need to see your working-outs, too.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29875 on: August 15, 2018, 11:46:34 AM »

Now, to work out the odds of living next to a Tiller Girl, I want you to use the Fermi thing - you know, that thing where you can estimate how many piano tuners there are in Chicago, like this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem

We need to see your working-outs, too.

Pfft!

I think you are confusing me with some of my more mentally agile readers.

I can just about manage the changing a light bulb equivalent of maths.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #29876 on: August 15, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »

Speaking of Tiller Girls, the one on the right of this picture went on to be the first ever female to hold a pretty significant role.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29877 on: August 15, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »

Speaking of Tiller Girls, the one on the right of this picture went on to be the first ever female to hold a pretty significant role.

Is this her in later life?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29878 on: August 15, 2018, 11:53:09 AM »

That's Bob Hope again too. He's like shit in a field.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29879 on: August 15, 2018, 12:03:45 PM »

By the bye Mr Pops - absolutely delighted to see you back here. Genuinely.

Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 1990 1991 [1992] 1993 1994 1995 1996 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: