blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:30:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1990 1991 1992 1993 [1994] 1995 1996 1997 1998 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3610280 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29895 on: August 23, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »

This thread reminds me of a book compiled by Diana Rigg about theatre critics, No Turn Unstoned.

I am a sucker for a good title though. I saw recently that Boris Johnson's dad had written about when he rode a motorcycle to India as a youth.

And then the excellent sequel

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29896 on: September 10, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »

Every year at this time I find that myself re watching the 9/11 programmes.

They are just so compelling.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29897 on: September 11, 2018, 08:50:35 PM »

Every year at this time I find that myself re watching the 9/11 programmes.

They are just so compelling.

Absolutely. The shock never dilutes.

Don't forget to watch "102 minutes" at 9pm tonight on "More 4".

A repeat, but very watchable indeed.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29898 on: September 11, 2018, 09:00:31 PM »

In fact, iirc, it has no background music and no commentary, it lets the pictures tell the story. Perfect.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29899 on: September 11, 2018, 09:33:01 PM »

I was re-reading one of Damon Runyan's short stories last evening when I happened to notice him describing a scrawny guy with a decent appetite as "a good doer".

I thought that was one of yours but Runyan did his writing in the 1930's - very amusing tales of New York's underworld characters of that era - highly recommended if you've not read them.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29900 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »

I was re-reading one of Damon Runyan's short stories last evening when I happened to notice him describing a scrawny guy with a decent appetite as "a good doer".

I thought that was one of yours but Runyan did his writing in the 1930's - very amusing tales of New York's underworld characters of that era - highly recommended if you've not read them.

I always thought "good doer" only applied to animals, generally horses or sometimes dogs, never knew it applied to humans.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29901 on: September 11, 2018, 11:23:29 PM »

I always thought "good doer" only applied to animals, generally horses or sometimes dogs, never knew it applied to humans.

That might well be so although I seem to remember Tom once saying that Mrs Red was a good doer.

Both Tom and Runyan are good at telling humourous tales though so maybe it's stylistic.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29902 on: September 12, 2018, 12:00:10 AM »

That might well be so although I seem to remember Tom once saying that Mrs Red was a good doer.

Both Tom and Runyan are good at telling humourous tales though so maybe it's stylistic.

Well I'm quite sure Mrs Red is a good doer, ditto Mr Red.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29903 on: September 12, 2018, 01:04:23 AM »

A good doer was originally a term used by the old horse traders to describe an animal that always looked fat and well even if it only had access to poor grazing.

We had a wagon mare named Blue who we grazed on the roadside verges winter and summer. She kept herself as fat as butter in the harshest weather when even corn-fed horses were liable to blew a hundredweight or so.

We used to keep her on a chain tether which we anchored to a long metal spike hammered into the ground. Well I say we kept her there, but in reality she could uproot the spike any time she liked. The trick was to hammer the spike in lightly, let her pull it up and wander along the verge to a spot she liked, then tether her there, that way she would happily stay put all night.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29904 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:58 PM »

As  you know I'm not really into football. I watch the 'big' matches and I mostly enjoy them, (players rolling around on the ground pretending to be hurt all the time aside) so you can believe me when I say I watched this Brian Clough documentary with a completely open mind. I have no bias against, nor allegiance to Brian or any of his clubs.

There is no denying his ability, his achievements, his genius even, but my goodness, what an arsehole.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29905 on: September 17, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »

Arsehole is a bit strong Tom. Not what we've come to expect from a man of your vocabularic athleticism.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29906 on: September 17, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »

Well TBH Tom it's not the kind of thing I would normally say, I think I was just trying to provoke a reaction.

I hereby withdraw arsehole and substitute blighter. (not to be confused with bounder)

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #29907 on: September 17, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »

You do know that’s a photo of Geoffrey Boycott?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29908 on: September 17, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »

You do know that’s a photo of Geoffrey Boycott?

It is Geoffrey Boycott but it's not a photo Dave, it's a YouTube video of the documentary I referred to in my OP, it just happens to have a pic of Boycott at the start.

He's an arsehole too BTW.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29909 on: September 17, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »

I wanted to reply, but knew you were angling for a reaction, so my Stubborn Mode kicked in.

I've reverted to my normal, helpful self now.

I won't hear a word said about Brian Clough, of all the sports celebs I've "known" via the media, there are few if any who gave me more enjoyment. Loved him to bits.

I did find it all rather sad that in his later life, alcohol got the better of him. I wish I had missed that bit.

Pages: 1 ... 1990 1991 1992 1993 [1994] 1995 1996 1997 1998 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: