blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:09:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2079 2080 2081 2082 [2083] 2084 2085 2086 2087 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587588 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31230 on: September 18, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »

The photo is said to be from 1946, but top left corner you can just see the front of a car, & that does not look 1946 style or colour to me.

The Cortina in front of the 100E was built between 62 and 64.

(I posted it on a car geeks forum)

Not a Consul then, but a Prefect. That's pretty close for me!

I hadn't seen the Cortina in front either.

Me neither.

There are two vehicles top right too, the front one looks like a moggy thou van or a black cab. 

If you zoom in on the old man's boots, they look like the old zip up front ones I used to inherit from my granny.

The older I get, the better I was.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #31231 on: September 18, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »

The photo is said to be from 1946, but top left corner you can just see the front of a car, & that does not look 1946 style or colour to me.

The Cortina in front of the 100E was built between 62 and 64.

(I posted it on a car geeks forum)

Not a Consul then, but a Prefect. That's pretty close for me!

I hadn't seen the Cortina in front either.

Me neither.

There are two vehicles top right too, the front one looks like a moggy thou van or a black cab. 

If you zoom in on the old man's boots, they look like the old zip up front ones I used to inherit from my granny.

They look like the zip-up rubber overshoes they wear in Canada to protect your shoes from the snow and the salt spread on it.

I now reckon stove-pipe hat fella is a rag and bone man and that's his horse and cart waiting for his lead to get weighed in.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31232 on: September 18, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »

I happened across this on Twitter. Quite extraordinary, & a real reality check.

It's also a reminder to always leave plenty of space when parking next to a disabled bay.

https://twitter.com/claire80lomas/status/1173932016372518913

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31233 on: September 18, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »

While on old vehicles, I woke up Saturday morning a couple of weeks back to the sound of engines, I now live by the church car park so thought there was a funeral. Looked out & it was the local vintage car rally. They hold it once a year and always get an interesting selection of vehicles.

I photographed these for you Red:

Click to see full-size image.

The cottage you can see in the background of the second picture is where I'm living now (still in the same village).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:20:39 AM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31234 on: September 18, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »

So I looked her up, first on Google Images, & noted how she is smiling in every photo.

Then I checked her Wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Lomas

And if you cba to read it all, she runs (walks, sort of) Marathons, & once did the London Marathon in 17 DAYS.

Nothing short of amazing.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31235 on: September 18, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »

Sorry Tony, posting at a similar time I interrupted your posts. An amazing woman.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31236 on: September 18, 2019, 11:30:55 AM »

Sorry Tony, posting at a similar time I interrupted your posts. An amazing woman.

No worries at all Rod, you were not to know & it does not matter.

I had to Post it, it just blew me away, especially as she seems so upbeat all the time.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #31237 on: September 18, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »

I came across this picture of a distant galaxy photographed by the Hubble telescope last week.

It's thirty million light-years away.

When you consider that light travels ~300,000 kilometers per second it is mind-blowing.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31238 on: September 18, 2019, 01:50:38 PM »

I came across this picture of a distant galaxy photographed by the Hubble telescope last week.

When you consider that light travels ~300,000 kilometers per second it is mind-blowing.

Even more mind-blowing to me is that you're not seeing it as it is now.  You're essentially looking at a piece of history.  This is a picture of it from 30 million years ago so.  If there had been some sort of catastrophic event that happened 15 million years ago which caused it to no longer exist, we won't be aware of it for another 15 million years.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31239 on: September 18, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »

While on old vehicles, I woke up Saturday morning a couple of weeks back to the sound of engines, I now live by the church car park so thought there was a funeral. Looked out & it was the local vintage car rally. They hold it once a year and always get an interesting selection of vehicles.

The cottage you can see in the background of the second picture is where I'm living now (still in the same village).

These are fabulous Rod. They were all in general use when I was a boy. The two on the left are Albion's  which have a wonderful history and can be seen still in service in far flung places.

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSE00089

The two on the right are a Bedford TK and a Commer respectively.

I had several TK,s. I'll try to find a pic.

PS- Your new gaff looks good, post some more pics of that and tell is how you managed to bag it please.

PPS- Did you really take those pictures? They're great.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31240 on: September 18, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »

So I looked her up, first on Google Images, & noted how she is smiling in every photo.

Then I checked her Wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Lomas

And if you cba to read it all, she runs (walks, sort of) Marathons, & once did the London Marathon in 17 DAYS.

Nothing short of amazing.

It's humbling and uplifting at the same time.

It makes me despair of all those fit and healthy people who spend their life moaning and complaining.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31241 on: September 18, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »

Da da da da da da da da ......

Don't get me started on the final frontier Ralph, it fascinates and baffles me in equal measure. The trouble is, I start waxing lyrical about it and then suddenly realise that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31242 on: September 18, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »

These are fabulous Rod. They were all in general use when I was a boy. The two on the left are Albion's  which have a wonderful history and can be seen still in service in far flung places.

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSE00089

The two on the right are a Bedford TK and a Commer respectively.

I had several TK,s. I'll try to find a pic.

PS- Your new gaff looks good, post some more pics of that and tell is how you managed to bag it please.

PPS- Did you really take those pictures? They're great.
Yes I took the pics, they came out well which was a pleasant surprise.

It's been a year of change, after Dad died Mum decided she needed to move from the family home, it's up too steep a hill for her and she was nervous driving it in wintry conditions. Plan originally was her moving into sheltered housing locally, I'd find a house up in the 2 highest villages in Scotland, about 12 miles away (as houses are a good bit cheaper there & I like the community).
A few months later & Mum was going off sheltered housing, at 75 she felt too young for it, she knew the new place, having visited the old woman who lived here previously. We had a look at it & decided to add an upstairs conversion & split it into 2 flats, within 3 weeks she'd bought the house & we were getting plans drawn up.

The old house sold within 2 weeks of putting it on the market & the buyers (a farming couple looking to retire) were in no hurry but we needed to sell to get the money to pay the local tradesmen doing the conversion. We managed to finish Mum's side so she could move in on the anniversary of Dad's death - I think she wanted to keep busy. Mine was about a month later, I'm now doing up my old flat to either sell or use for airBNB type short term letting. I'm quite proud of the old dear, leaving her home of 38 years & doing a complete refurb was a big thing for her to take on. She's now in the first place she ever decorated/furnished just for herself, having married my Dad straight from college.

The drone business fell away due to me taking the eye off the ball a bit & my main target company deciding they wanted drone surveys, but instead of contracting it they are training their own guy up  . I'm trying to sell some equipment to try again with a different tack, that will take some time to get together though.

I'll dig out some pics when I can.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31243 on: September 18, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »

Blimey Rod, you really do never know what life has in store do you?

It sounds like your current situation has a lot of pluses for both of you though.

Yes, I was really impressed with the pics. What did you take them with?

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31244 on: September 18, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »

Just my phone - don't even know where my camera is anymore, if I needed better than the phone I'd get the drone out.

Pages: 1 ... 2079 2080 2081 2082 [2083] 2084 2085 2086 2087 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: