blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272624 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 591 592 [593] 594 595 596 597 ... 2344 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3611249 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8880 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:31 PM »

Off subject somewhat Tom, but are you still a Wednesdayite ?? Will you attend a game with me and Trigg while we're still in The Football league ??

themisery

In all honesty, no. I tried to be a football supporter, I really did, but I just can't hack it. Everyone seems to be pretending they've been fouled and trying to get an undeserved penalty, or trying to get someone sent off all the time.

I just don't love it enough too see past that.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8881 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:28 AM »

Went to an arts & crafts workshop at the Hartington Mental Health unit in Calow hospital today. The patients were great fun. A bit reluctant at first, but really enthusiastic once you got them started.

This pic shows a percussion instruments class. I think I enjoyed it more than anyone. 

Click to see full-size image.

This is Mrs Red teaching them how to make the paper flowers that Gypsy women used to hawk door to door. (I remember watching my mam make these when I was a little boy)

themisery

View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: March 04, 2010, 12:37:25 AM »

I live about 1.5 miles from Calow hospital. I've spent some time there myself...
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: March 04, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »

I saw a short piece on The One Show earlier about the Bethnal Green tube disaster, which was the largest loss of civilian life in a single incedent during ww2   
I had never heard of this, so I looked it up and I cant believe such a terrible happening rarely gets mentioned and has no real memorial

You can read about it here http://www.stairwaytoheavenmemorial.org/gpage5.html
There are eyewitness accounts on this site, they are heartbreaking.

Have any of you heard of this before? 

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: March 04, 2010, 12:52:04 AM »

Went to an arts & crafts workshop at the Hartington Mental Health unit in Calow hospital today. The patients were great fun. A bit reluctant at first, but really enthusiastic once you got them started.

This pic shows a percussion instruments class. I think I enjoyed it more than anyone. 

This is Mrs Red teaching them how to make the paper flowers that Gypsy women used to hawk door to door. (I remember watching my mam make these when I was a little boy)

Oooh! Im loving the glitter edged flowers btw! Granny would have loved to got her hands on some of that back in the day.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8885 on: March 04, 2010, 01:10:35 AM »

I live about 1.5 miles from Calow hospital. I've spent some time there myself...

The regulars at DTD will know a guy called Aggy. He has a fish & chip shop in Hasland. (Try it, it's excellent)

I got myself a nice piece of cod and some mushy peas there today, then I parked up on the roadside in my van to eat them.

As I ate, I was watching this absolutely stunning girl walk towards me on the pavement. Even though she never looked at me, I knew that she had seen me looking at her. (How do girls do that?)

She moved with the easy, confident stride of a woman who knows she is gorgeous and is used to attracting attention, but just as she drew level with my van windscreen, she did one of those things like you see in a comedy sketch where the actor stubs his toe on some nonexistent obstacle. She stumbled along for perhaps four or five paces, stilettos going every which way, and at one point, almost going down on her knees. "F***ing Hell Fire!" she said. I didn't hear the words, but I saw her mouth moving, it was unmistakable.

She recovered, and, to her eternal credit, she flashed me a quick smile before she disappeared. 

You could grow to love a girl like that.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8886 on: March 04, 2010, 01:21:20 AM »

I saw a short piece on The One Show earlier about the Bethnal Green tube disaster, which was the largest loss of civilian life in a single incedent during ww2   
I had never heard of this, so I looked it up and I cant believe such a terrible happening rarely gets mentioned and has no real memorial

No, I hadn't heard about that either. What a story.

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8887 on: March 04, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »

The regulars at DTD will know a guy called Aggy. He has a fish & chip shop in Hasland. (Try it, it's excellent)

I got myself a nice piece of cod and some mushy peas there today, then I parked up on the roadside in my van to eat them.

As I ate, I was watching this absolutely stunning girl walk towards me on the pavement. Even though she never looked at me, I knew that she had seen me looking at her. (How do girls do that?)

She moved with the easy, confident stride of a woman who knows she is gorgeous and is used to attracting attention, but just as she drew level with my van windscreen, she did one of those things like you see in a comedy sketch where the actor stubs his toe on some nonexistent obstacle. She stumbled along for perhaps four or five paces, stilettos going every which way, and at one point, almost going down on her knees. "F***ing Hell Fire!" she said. I didn't hear the words, but I saw her mouth moving, it was unmistakable.

She recovered, and, to her eternal credit, she flashed me a quick smile before she disappeared. 

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8888 on: March 04, 2010, 05:37:30 PM »

Ah tech, I thought of mentioning Dick Emery, but I didn't think anyone on here except tikay would remember him.

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: March 04, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »

Ooooh you are awful .... but I like you Wink

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »

used to cut about bethnal green in my early 20's and i have never heard of that that either
No, I hadn't heard about that either. What a story.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: March 04, 2010, 09:16:06 PM »

Off subject somewhat Tom, but are you still a Wednesdayite ?? Will you attend a game with me and Trigg while we're still in The Football league ??

themisery

In all honesty, no. I tried to be a football supporter, I really did, but I just can't hack it. Everyone seems to be pretending they've been fouled and trying to get an undeserved penalty, or trying to get someone sent off all the time.

I just don't love it enough too see past that.

should have picked leeds imo

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: March 05, 2010, 10:29:23 AM »

Mrs Red needs to get those nice flowers in the shops, daffodils are running four weeks late this year with all the cold weather, shortage for mothers day, and bands of pickers with no work.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8893 on: March 05, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »

Mrs Red needs to get those nice flowers in the shops, daffodils are running four weeks late this year with all the cold weather, shortage for mothers day, and bands of pickers with no work.

Don't put ideas into her head. She'd skin a gnat for a ha' penny.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8894 on: March 05, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »

I'm reading a book about the holocaust. This picture is on the front cover. It shows the loading ramp at Auschwitz where new arrivals were disembarked from cattle trucks, often after a journey of several days.

During these transports, which continued throughout sweltering summers and freezing winters, the prisoners were given neither food nor water, and were denied the opportunity to relieve themselves. They had to do their business where they stood. They were packed so tightly together, that they didn't even have room to squat.

Many, especially the children, the old and the sick, died during the trip, without the luxury of being able to fall down.

At the end of the journey, the survivors were dragged out of the stinking trucks and relieved of their valuables before being split into two columns, men on one side, women and children on the other.

It was here they faced their first selection. Those few that passed were sent into the camp to endure a few more days or weeks of life, if you could call it that. In truth they were worked, starved and beaten to death as quickly as possible.

Those that failed selection, i.e. all those who were considered too ill, too old, or too young to work were sent immediately to the gas. Actually, all mothers of young children, even the fit healthy ones, were gassed along with their offspring, simply because it was easier than trying to separate them.

This picture has been haunting me for days. It isn't a particularly gruesome picture, if you were not familier with the horror that it represents, it would be fairly innocuous, but one particular aspect of it makes it, for me at least, one of the most poignant images I have ever seen.

On the right of the picture, a man is talking to an SS officer. No one, not the officer, not  the thronging crowd, not even the man himself seem to notice that he is wearing only one shoe.

I don't really know why, but that small fact speaks volumes to me. It says "Most of these people are going to their death today, this man is probably risking his life to ask about his wife and children. What does a shoe matter?"   

Pages: 1 ... 589 590 591 592 [593] 594 595 596 597 ... 2344 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: