blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 06:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272921 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 419 ... 2348 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3649420 times)
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6210 on: August 31, 2009, 05:42:28 PM »

By the way what did you think of the Danny Dyer one?

It was a reasonably accurate reflection, but it was part of a documentry series about the "Deadliest Men" not about Gipsy life per se.

True but it highlighted once again that imo there is not another part of society that sticks together as much as the Gypsy community and that is a trait i'll always be envious of.

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: August 31, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »

It was a reasonably accurate reflection, but it was part of a documentry series about the "Deadliest Men" not about Gipsy life per se.

True but it highlighted once again that imo there is not another part of society that sticks together as much as the Gypsy community and that is a trait i'll always be envious of.

Chinese people
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6212 on: August 31, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »

Chinese people

Really?

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: August 31, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »

Chinese people

Really?

in my experience yeah
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6214 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »

Chinese people

Really?

in my experience yeah

Yeah they are pretty tight knit...even when you're "in" as non-chinese you're not really in.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: September 14, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »

Just stumbled across this collection of doggy pics I thought you might like Tom - http://picasaweb.google.com/lampingman/ASNAPSHOTOFWHATIDO#

Also, I thought this was cracker of a racing whippet 'applying the brakes' -

Click to see full-size image.

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6216 on: September 15, 2009, 12:33:33 AM »

I do so love sight hounds. Especially lurchers with a little bull blood in them...  or Bedlington x whippets... or saluki x collie x greyhound....

Great whippet pic btw. My dad has a terrific little whippet named Pal. He was as nesh as a newborn baby and an inveterate thief, but he could do a score of coney on the lamp without breaking a sweat.

The older I get, the better I was.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: September 15, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »

I've been reading this diary a bit more lately too Red and as of today I'm going to start from the beginning. Gotta agree with Titaniumbean that you have a knack for making the simplest things seem so interesting.

In terms of the last few pages and stories about gypsies it was interesting that people should mention Paddy Doherty etc. I've seen the episode with Danny Dyer but if I'm 100% honest with you, the mention of gypsies has always tended to have a fairly negative connotation in my mind though nonetheless an absolutely fascinating one. Any hint of a programme about gypsies on TV and I'll be glued.

Like myself, I think a lot of people have this notion of gypsies as very aggressive people. We once had gypsies move into my area and they caused nothing but trouble, including trying to break into my garage and also trying to mug me when I was about 14, this all within a 2 week period. I also had a friend Jon-Paul, a gypsy boy who used to play in our football team. Whilst I liked him I would have been scared shitless if he was on the other team - he was an absolute nut case who now coincidentally is an underground boxer. Likewise if you type 'gypsy' into google you're likely to get more fighting results than anything else. I don't know whether gypsies vary from area to area but the ones I've ever come into contact with I've always found extremely intimidating and hence I've only formed an opinion based on such experiences. 

Not really quite sure what I want to ask you but I was very surprised to find out you were a gypsy as you'd probably break every stereotype in my head about them. Do gypsies vary in character and attitude across different parts of the UK? Is there a book I could read to give me an unbiased idea of what gypsies and gypsy life is like?

Do you think more people than not share my view? Do you think the media has played a part in this?

Sorry for the rambling and all the questions!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:02:17 AM by GreekStein » Logged

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6218 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »

Gypsy is a proper noun Cos. 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6219 on: September 15, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »

I've been reading this diary a bit more lately too Red and as of today I'm going to start from the beginning. Gotta agree with Titaniumbean that you have a knack for making the simplest things seem so interesting.

In terms of the last few pages and stories about gypsies it was interesting that people should mention Paddy Doherty etc. I've seen the episode with Danny Dyer but if I'm 100% honest with you, the mention of gypsies has always tended to have a fairly negative connotation in my mind though nonetheless an absolutely fascinating one. Any hint of a programme about gypsies on TV and I'll be glued.

Like myself, I think a lot of people have this notion of gypsies as very aggressive people. We once had gypsies move into my area and they caused nothing but trouble, including trying to break into my garage and also trying to mug me when I was about 14, this all within a 2 week period. I also had a friend Jon-Paul, a gypsy boy who used to play in our football team. Whilst I liked him I would have been scared shitless if he was on the other team - he was an absolute nut case who now coincidentally is an underground boxer. Likewise if you type 'gypsy' into google you're likely to get more fighting results than anything else. I don't know whether gypsies vary from area to area but the ones I've ever come into contact with I've always found extremely intimidating and hence I've only formed an opinion based on such experiences. 

Not really quite sure what I want to ask you but I was very surprised to find out you were a gypsy as you'd probably break every stereotype in my head about them. Do gypsies vary in character and attitude across different parts of the UK? Is there a book I could read to give me an unbiased idea of what gypsies and gypsy life is like?

Do you think more people than not share my view? Do you think the media has played a part in this?

Thanks for your comments, your interest and your questions Cos.

The answers to most of your questions are in this thread somewhere, but I will say a little about the bit I've highlighted.

Gypsies vary in character not from region to region, but from person, just like everyone else.

Most people who are perceived as or labled "Gypsy" by the general public are not in fact Gypsies. Mostly. the general public have no idea what Gypsies are.

BTW- I know this is a small thing, but it's important. When you write the word "Gypsy" please use an uppercase "G" as in "GreekStein"  Wink

Is there a book I could read to give me an unbiased idea of what gypsies and gypsy life is like?

You could read "A Wandering of Gypsies" Written by my father, (aided and abbeted by my mother) It will give you a great and honest insight into everyday Gypsy life, but, in all fairness, it probably won't be unbiased

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: September 15, 2009, 11:32:44 AM »

The answers to most of your questions are in this thread somewhere, but I will say a little about the bit I've highlighted.

Gypsies vary in character not from region to region, but from person, just like everyone else.

Most people who are perceived as or labled "Gypsy" by the general public are not in fact Gypsies. Mostly. the general public have no idea what Gypsies are.

BTW- I know this is a small thing, but it's important. When you write the word "Gypsy" please use an uppercase "G" as in "GreekStein"  Wink

Is there a book I could read to give me an unbiased idea of what gypsies and gypsy life is like?

You could read "A Wandering of Gypsies" Written by my father, (aided and abbeted by my mother) It will give you a great and honest insight into everyday Gypsy life, but, in all fairness, it probably won't be unbiased

Thanks for the response Tom. I actually saw you make a note of this somewhere before so I've not no excuse for remembering it's with a 'G' from now on.

This has really intrigued me.... "Most people who are perceived as or labled "Gypsy" by the general public are not in fact Gypsies. Mostly. the general public have no idea what Gypsies are."

Please could you explain briefly as I'm one of the clueless people who don't know!

Where am I able to buy your father's book Tom?

Best of luck in the EPO today.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6221 on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »

Thanks for the response Tom. I actually saw you make a note of this somewhere before so I've not no excuse for remembering it's with a 'G' from now on.

This has really intrigued me.... "Most people who are perceived as or labled "Gypsy" by the general public are not in fact Gypsies. Mostly. the general public have no idea what Gypsies are."

Please could you explain briefly as I'm one of the clueless people who don't know!

Best of luck in the EPO today.

Arrgghh!! This is such a big question, you wouldn't believe it. A brief explanation would only confuse you more. Have a read of the thread and then ask me again, or talk to me when you see me.

http://www.robertdawson.co.uk/product.php?f=79

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: September 15, 2009, 11:57:45 AM »

Welcome to Red's thread Cos. I don't post often but I'm an avid reader.

You'll enjoy the thread, it's very informative and interesting mate.

All the questions you've asked are answered in here somewhere or another and you'll get better answers by reading them from the time Red first spoke of his views on each subject as there's usually a story of some sort attached. It'll just take you ages to get there but it's worth the wait.

Oh and Gypsy requires capitalisation please. But you know that now as do the rest of us.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6223 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:08 PM »

But surely, if Gypsy is a term used for a very particular set of people, but the same word is also used to refer to a more general group of people, then gypsy with a small g is a valid term for this second group, as they are different from Gypsies?

Kind of like Liberals and liberals.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6224 on: September 15, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »

But surely, if Gypsy is a term used for a very particular set of people, but the same word is also used to refer to a more general group of people, then gypsy with a small g is a valid term for this second group, as they are different from Gypsies?

Kind of like Liberals and liberals.

I agree I was thinking about this, if there is such a difference shouldn't the capitalisation (sp?) of the first letter indicate who you're referencing?
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 419 ... 2348 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: