blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 464 465 [466] 467 468 469 470 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3599879 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6975 on: December 29, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »

You can buy stuff to make your didgeridoo bigger too. That doesn't work either.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6976 on: December 29, 2009, 08:58:32 PM »

I'm a city dweller so hope you'll excuse the daft question.

From what you say Mr Red these moles dig up your land at night,therefore is it not possible to catch them in the act at night without killing them,then move them on?

They do it under the ground mate, you never get to see them.

This is a great question though, and it opens the door for me to talk about a whole nother load of moley stuff.

Moles are incredibly shy creatures. They spend 99.99% of their time below ground, in total darkness.

“So” I hear you ask, “If they spend their time underground in total darkness, why are they more active at night?”

Well, gentle reader, the reason is this. The things that are liable to step on their tunnels and crush them to death, (Things like horses, cattle, sheep, or people), are more active during the hours of daylight.

This does not mean that moles are inactive during the day, it just means that they spend most of the daylight hours in their “safe” tunnels.

What are safe tunnels? Safe tunnels are the ones built under a hedgerow, or along the line of a fence, (Where things with big clumsy feet can’t tread).

When a mole ventures out into the “open” so to speak, he’s on high alert. Even though he’s still underground, his senses are turned up to maximum. His ears strain to catch the slightest sound, his long whiskers quiver to alert him to the movement of a nearby earthworm, (or a distant footfall) and his nose, packed with a million receptors, analyse his surroundings in minute detail.

He’s so alert that your chances of catching him when he’s in the open are virtually zero.

Your chances improve a little (but not much) when he’s in one of his “Safe” tunnels. He’s not worried about being stepped on here, and he knows these runs like the back of his hand, Apart from the occasional stop to do a little maintenance, (Roof cave-ins and the like) he can whiz along these, (Traveling both backwards and forwards) like a little tube train.

He lets his guard down a little. (Not much mind, perhaps somewhere around Defcon 2)

This is our chance.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: December 29, 2009, 09:04:33 PM »

I'm a city dweller so hope you'll excuse the daft question.

From what you say Mr Red these moles dig up your land at night,therefore is it not possible to catch them in the act at night without killing them,then move them on?

They do it under the ground mate, you never get to see them.

This is a great question though, and it opens the door for me to talk about a whole nother load of moley stuff.

Moles are incredibly shy creatures. They spend 99.99% of their time below ground, in total darkness.

“So” I hear you ask, “If they spend their time underground in total darkness, why are they more active at night?”

Well, gentle reader, the reason is this. The things that are liable to step on their tunnels and crush them to death, (Things like horses, cattle, sheep, or people), are more active during the hours of daylight.

This does not mean that moles are inactive during the day, it just means that they spend most of the daylight hours in their “safe” tunnels.

What are safe tunnels? Safe tunnels are the ones built under a hedgerow, or along the line of a fence, (Where things with big clumsy feet can’t tread).

When a mole ventures out into the “open” so to speak, he’s on high alert. Even though he’s still underground, his senses are turned up to maximum. His ears strain to catch the slightest sound, his long whiskers quiver to alert him to the movement of a nearby earthworm, (or a distant footfall) and his nose, packed with a million receptors, analyse his surroundings in minute detail.

He’s so alert that your chances of catching him when he’s in the open are virtually zero.

Your chances improve a little (but not much) when he’s in one of his “Safe” tunnels. He’s not worried about being stepped on here, and he knows these runs like the back of his hand, Apart from the occasional stop to do a little maintenance, (Roof cave-ins and the like) he can whiz along these, (Traveling both backwards and forwards) like a little tube train.

He lets his guard down a little. (Not much mind, perhaps somewhere around Defcon 2)

This is our chance.

Chance to what?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:12 PM »

loving the updates so far kev, keep it up.

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6979 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »

Click to see full-size image.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: December 29, 2009, 09:31:14 PM »

There are no moles at all in Ireland. It's not a native species.

I expect they all got slaughtered.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: December 29, 2009, 09:33:07 PM »

Collectively, they are known as "a labour of moles". The male is known as a boar, the female a sow.

They are nice.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6982 on: December 29, 2009, 09:34:17 PM »

There are no moles at all in Ireland. It's not a native species.

Perhaps they discovered KFM.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: December 29, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »

Moles are a protected species. *

* In Germany.

barhell

View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: December 29, 2009, 09:41:36 PM »

This moles a star.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: December 29, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »

This moles a star.

That, the "star-nosed Mole" is very common in the USA.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: December 29, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »

Moles are extremely beneficial because they consume the larvae and adults of numerous pest insects, such as Japanese beetles, that affect garden, landscape, and flowering plants. Additionally, their tunneling activity loosens the soil, improves aeration, and mixes deeper soils with surface organic material, all of which enhance soil quality

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6987 on: December 29, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »

Moles are considered to be agricultural pests in some countries, while in others, such as Germany, they are a protected species but may be killed if a permit is received. Problems cited as caused by moles include contamination of silage with soil particles making it unpalatable to livestock, the covering of pasture with fresh soil reducing its size and yield, damage to agricultural machinery by the exposure of stones, damage to young plants through disturbance of the soil, weed invasion of pasture through exposure of fresh tilled soil, and damage to drainage systems and watercourses. Other species such as weasels and voles may use mole tunnels to gain access to enclosed areas or plant roots.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: December 29, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »

There are no moles at all in Ireland.

I expect they all got kneecapped.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW